Meet the elevated sibling to humble cottage cheese – whipped cottage cheese. Through processing or blending, you’re doing two things – turning the texture from curd to creamy and adding air for a whipped and light consistency. You can use this blended cottage cheese in a savory breakfast plate like I have here, or enjoy it with sweeter flavors as well. Check out these trendy cottage cheese recipes for more ideas and sneaky high-protein recipes if you’re here for the protein.
The texture of whipped cottage cheese is similar to ricotta, so you can also use it in any of these ricotta toast ideas. No matter how you’re serving it, if it’s for breakfast, be sure to serve it up with a latte, classic cappuccino, lavender latte, dirty chai, espresso tonic, or sweet cream cold foam cold brew. (Tea is ok too if you prefer. ;))
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
- What is Whipped Cottage Cheese?
- What You'll Love About this Whipped Cottage Cheese Breakfast
- How to Make Whipped Cottage Cheese
- What To Do with Blended Cottage Cheese
- Storage Instructions
- Want More?
- More Nutritious Breakfast Recipes
- Let me Meal Plan for you!
What is Whipped Cottage Cheese?
This whipped cottage cheese recipe is just as it sounds – cottage cheese that has been blended or whipped until smooth and creamy. It maintains the flavor of cottage cheese (and it’s desirable protein content), but has a smooth and creamy texture. Then it’s up to you to decide how to use it, I’m sharing plenty of sweet and savory whipped cottage cheese ideas below.
What You’ll Love About this Whipped Cottage Cheese Breakfast
- Delicious, savory flavors
- High in protein
- Easy to make
- Made with simple ingredients
- Fun and different breakfast
- Incredibly versatile – so many ways to use it
- Cottage cheese – I prefer to buy and use full-fat cottage cheese (and dairy in general) as I feel it has the best flavor and is most satisfying, however, you can use any type of cottage cheese that you like.
- Cucumber – I recommend the small Persian cucumbers or English cucumbers or use whatever type of cucumber you like best.
- Tomatoes – Use whatever type of tomatoes would be the best quality. Outside of the summer, I typically stick with grape or cherry tomatoes. You could also use roasted grape tomatoes if you prefer. It would be delicious.
- Drizzles/Flavor – High-quality olive oil, chili crisp oil, flaky sea salt, freshly cracked pepper
- Egg – I recommend an egg with a runny yolk if you’re into that type of thing, fried egg, a soft-boiled egg, or even a poached egg are all great options. Or cook to your preference.
- Pita bread – I recommend making these air fryer pita bread for the best flavor and fresh crunch.
How to Make Whipped Cottage Cheese
This is an overview on how to whip cottage cheese and how to put together a savory whipped cottage cheese breakfast, the detailed instructions can be found below in the recipe card.
What To Do with Blended Cottage Cheese
There are so many ways to go with blended cottage cheese recipes like this one. You can go sweet, savory, or somewhere in between. Here are some general ideas to get you started:
- Toast – You can go sweet or savory by spreading the blended cottage cheese onto toast. Spread a layer onto hummus toast, avocado toast, or even a creamy peanut butter toast.
- Dips – This whipped cottage cheese dip is incredibly simple to pull together and is made with pantry staples in addition to the cottage cheese. It could also be delicious used in this whipped lemon feta dip – swap out the cream cheese for cottage cheese, or part of it. And I’m even tempted to try swapping it out for the cream cheese in chili dip!
- Dessert – I’m not big on trying to turn nutritious foods into desserts, but I did see recipes for cottage cheese whipped with sugar-free jello or pudding mix. And of course, some people like to make ice cream out of cottage cheese. You could also swirl it with some jam or fruit preserves for a sweeter treat or top it with fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey.
Store blended cottage cheese in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Can you freeze blended cottage cheese?
I do not recommend freezing blended cottage cheese as freezing dairy can change the texture.
More Nutritious Breakfast Recipes
If you like nutritious breakfast recipes like this one, you might also like some of these other breakfast ideas:
- Acai Bowl
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Brown Sugar Oatmeal
- Greek Yogurt Parfait
- Brunch Charcuterie Board
Let me Meal Plan for you!
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning? It’s time to hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm instead of stressed. Your dinner is planned and your grocery list is made and everything is conveniently delivered to an app so you can print it out, access from your phone, or computer.
One of bite of this whipped cottage cheese and you’ll be obsessed! This savory spread has blended cottage cheese, veggies, and an egg all scooped up with pita.
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- sliced cucumber, thinly sliced into half moons
- grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- fried egg (with runny yolk)
- chili crisp oil
- pita bread
- Place cottage cheese in a food processor and process until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Spread onto a plate and place sliced cucumbers and tomatoes around one edge. Drizzle everything with olive oil and season with freshly cracked pepper and flaky sea salt.
- Place fried egg on top and drizzle with chili crisp oil. Serve with toasted pita bread for scooping.
- Nutrition facts are an estimate and are calculated with 1/2 cup cucumber, 1/2 cup tomatoes, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 egg, and 1 large pita bread. How you actually put this spread together will change the estimates.
Keywords: whipped cottage cheese, blended cottage cheese
Food styling and photography by Loren Runion.
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!