This sourdough French toast recipe is a delicious and nutritious start to your morning! The flavor combination of sweet and sour works so well together; one bite, and I’m sure you’ll agree. While it’s preferred to make French toast with homemade sourdough bread, if you don’t make your own, you can easily use your favorite store-bought or bakery sourdough.
This French toast with sourdough comes together really quickly (I sometimes make it during the week!), but no matter what day of the week you’re making it, make sure you’re sipping on a cappuccino or latte. And if you love this breakfast, be sure to try my Greek yogurt parfait, zucchini chocolate chip mini muffins, or this 5-minute breakfast board for kids next time.
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
- Can you make French toast with sourdough bread?
- What You'll Love About Sourdough French Toast
- Ingredients for French Toast
- How to Make Easy Sourdough French Toast Recipe
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with Sourdough French Toast
- How to Feed Simple French Toast to the Whole Family
- Want More?
- More Delicious Breakfast Recipes
- Let me Meal Plan for you!
Can you make French toast with sourdough bread?
Yes, and I think it’s the best French toast! The slightly sour flavor from the sourdough is the perfect match for sweeter syrup and cinnamon flavors. Once I tried sourdough cinnamon rolls, I was hooked on this sweet and sour flavor combo.
What You’ll Love About Sourdough French Toast
- Delicious flavor
- Nutritious way to start your day
- Easy to make
- Made with simple ingredients
- Just 2 minutes prep time
- Just 10 minutes total cook time
Ingredients for French Toast
- Eggs – Use high-quality eggs for the best flavor and quality.
- Milk – I use whole milk because that’s what we stock at our house, but you can also use whatever type of milk you have. You can also use coconut milk or almond milk for a dairy-free milk option or heavy cream for a dreamy option.
- Vanilla – Use high-quality vanilla extract for best flavor.
- Cinnamon – Use high-quality cinnamon for best flavor.
- Sourdough bread – You can’t make sourdough French toast without the sourdough! I prefer homemade as it has the best flavor, but you can also use artisan sourdough from your local store or bakery. Stale sourdough bread actually works fantastic as it will soak up the egg mixture even better.
- Butter – Use high-quality butter for best flavor.
- Toppings – cinnamon sugar, maple syrup, jam, whipped cream, fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries
How to Make Easy Sourdough French Toast Recipe
This is an overview on how to make sourdough bread French toast, the detailed instructions can be found below in the recipe card.
Store any leftover French toast in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat in a hot skillet or microwave until heated through.
Can you freeze French toast?
Yes, freeze the French toast in a single layer on a lined baking sheet. When it’s frozen solid, transfer to a freezer bag or storage container and freeze for 1-2 months. Thaw slightly before reheating in a hot skillet.
What to Serve with Sourdough French Toast
Keep the sides simple with some fresh fruit and some protein, here are some ideas:
- Fried or scrambled eggs
- Bacon or breakfast sausage
- Greek yogurt parfaits
- Fresh fruits
- Drinks – juice, cappuccino, latte, dirty chai, iced matcha
How to Feed Simple French Toast to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in.
Serve the meal with a few items you know your kids will eat, like fruit, milk, and/or bread and butter if they don’t like French toast (yet).
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes
If you like this easy recipe for French toast, you might also like these other delicious weekend breakfast and brunch recipes:
- Full English Breakfast
- Breakfast Charcuterie Board
- Steak Egg Bagel
- Toast – Avocado toast, ricotta toast, peanut butter toast, hummus toast
Let me Meal Plan for you!
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning? It’s time to hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm instead of stressed. Your dinner is planned and your grocery list is made and everything is conveniently delivered to an app so you can print it out, access from your phone, or computer.
This sourdough French toast recipe is a delicious and nutritious start to your day! It comes together really quickly, with just a handful of ingredients.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 6 large slices sourdough bread (~11 ounces)
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- for serving: cinnamon sugar, maple syrup, fresh berries
- In a shallow baking dish, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon until everything is combined.
- Add slices of bread to egg mixture and flip over to coat both sides, dipping for about 5-10 seconds per side, lightly pressing bread into egg mixture.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When butter foams, add bread to the skillet and cook for about 2-4 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining pieces of bread.
- Serve with butter, maple syrup, cinnamon sugar, and fresh berries as desired.
- Homemade sourdough bread is best, but store-bought or bakery sourdough will also work
Keywords: sourdough French toast , sourdough French toast recipe, French toast with sourdough bread
Food styling and photography by Loren Runion.
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!