Ready to try out the secret to Anthony Bourdain scrambled eggs? Sour cream in eggs!!! Yes, we’re making scrambled eggs WITH sour cream. The end result? Perfectly creamy scrambled eggs – even if you overcook them. Just 4 ingredients and 15 minutes to make Anthony Bourdain’s eggs and sour cream! Serve them with an iced coffee with sweet cream cold foam and some hearty rye bread toast for the perfect breakfast meal or a lovely Sunday brunch.
If you aren’t familiar with Anthony Bourdain’s scrambled eggs, you’ll want to change that immediately, the trick to his scrambled eggs is genius. It’s a simple recipe AND a delicious recipe AND one of my favorite ways to eat eggs.
The Anthony Bourdain Eggs Story
Years ago, when we were new to California, we watched the LA episode of his Layover show and copied everything he did and everything he ate with dedication. We went out for Korean BBQ the very next night. We took his advice and ordered the pork neck stew. We made his scrambled eggs a few days later. We did not stay in a private bungalow at Chateau Marmont…but everything else? We did.
When Anthony Bourdain stays in his (fancy) bungalow, he always makes his own breakfast. I love that it’s one of those chef meals that features simple elements that come together in a delicious way.
Have I convinced you that his secret will result in the best scrambled eggs? Will you try it and report back?
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love about Creamy Scrambled Eggs
- Scrambled Eggs with Sour Cream Ingredients
- How to Make Scrambled Eggs with Sour Cream
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storage Instructions
- How to Serve Scrambled Eggs to the Whole Family
- Creamy Scrambled Eggs Nutrition + Substitutes
- What to Serve with Scrambled Eggs with Sour Cream
- More Easy Breakfast Recipes
- Helpful Tools to Make Scrambled Eggs with Sour Cream
- Pin this Anthony Bourdain scrambled eggs with sour cream recipe for later!
What You’ll Love about Creamy Scrambled Eggs
- Incredible rich and creamy flavor
- Silky smooth scrambled eggs, not dry and rubbery
- Made with just 4 basic ingredients
- Cooks up in 10 minutes
- Make them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner
Scrambled Eggs with Sour Cream Ingredients
You’ll need just 4 basic ingredients to make this scrambled eggs with sour cream:
- Bacon – Use thick-cut, but really anything will work. Cutting the bacon while frozen is a nice hack! You could also use ham (or leftover apricot glazed ham) in place of the bacon.
- Eggs – Use the highest-quality large eggs you can afford, they truly taste better! Look for deeply orange yolks, which will show good egg quality.
- Sour cream – Use full-fat sour cream for best flavor and texture.
- Chives – You could also use thinly sliced green onion, but chives are preferred.
- Sea salt and black pepper
How to Make Scrambled Eggs with Sour Cream
Let me show you how to make creamy eggs!
- Fry bacon. Slice the bacon into thin strips and cook in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat until crispy. Spoon out some of the grease, leaving some in the pan as our fat instead of using butter.
- Cook eggs. Crack eggs into a small bowl and whisk until they are a pale yellow in color. Pour the egg mixture into the non stick skillet (with bacon) over medium-low heat (no milk, no water!!!) and stir constantly (scramble) with a rubber spatula, until curds have formed and eggs are set.
TIP: To gently scramble the eggs (this will help result in tender eggs), use a spatula to slowly push the larger curds to the side so the uncooked part flows to the skillet. You can do this in small circles or a figure 8 motion.
- Finish Bourdain scrambled eggs. When eggs are finished cooking, gently fold in a spoonful of sour cream and chopped chives and get ready for the best scrambled eggs. Top with freshly ground pepper if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use sour cream instead of milk in scrambled eggs?
Yes, you can use sour cream instead of milk in scrambled eggs and in fact, you DON’T want to add milk or heavy cream to your scrambled eggs.
Why shouldn’t you add milk to scrambled eggs?
Adding milk to scrambled eggs is common, but you shouldn’t do it!
While we think it makes eggs, better, it actually dilutes the flavor and will give them a rubbery texture.
What is the secret ingredient for scrambled eggs?
Anthony Bourdain’s secret ingredient for scrambled eggs is sour cream, and once I tried it, I agreed completely!
What can you put in scrambled eggs to make them taste better?
Adding a dollop of sour cream to scrambled eggs will give them rich flavor and silky smooth texture.
Store any leftover scrambled eggs with sour cream in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Eggs are not the best reheated, but the sour cream in eggs trick helps with reheating, too!
How to reheat
Gently reheat your Anthony Bourdain scrambled eggs in a skillet with some butter over medium heat, or in the microwave, just until warm.
Be careful to not overheat them or they will get rubbery.
How to Serve Scrambled Eggs to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in. 😉
In this case, serve the eggs alongside some bread, fruit, and milk so even if they won’t eat the eggs, they’re still getting enough at meal time.
Creamy Scrambled Eggs Nutrition + Substitutes
These simple scrambled eggs with sour cream have 285 calories per serving, 23 grams of fat, 17 grams of protein, and are low in total carbohydrates. Full nutrition facts can be found below the recipe card.
I’m fairly certain that Chef was not a fan of substitutions…so do so at your own risk! Anthony Bourdain perfect scrambled eggs substitutes:
- Egg Whites – Nope. Don’t do it.
- Light Sour Cream – Nope. Don’t do it.
- Chives – Could use thinly sliced green onions or other fresh herbs, but chives are best and highly recommended.
What to Serve with Scrambled Eggs with Sour Cream
These eggs and sour cream are a great option for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Here’s what I like to serve them with:
- Bacon or sausage
- Toast – Your favorite kind or even toasted flour tortillas.I wouldn’t turn down summer avocado toast either.
- Simple green salad – These eggs are rich, so a salad pairs really well
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
If you like this perfectly creamy scrambled eggs recipe, you might also like some of these other easy breakfast recipes:
- Breakfast Tacos – This simple meal really works any time of day – breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Don’t forget the chipotle sour cream, now that you’re all about eggs and sour cream, I know you won’t! 🙂
- Healthy Apple Muffins – Whole grains and fruit baked together in a fluffy muffin? Everyone is happy.
- Baked Apple Oatmeal Bars – These bars are perfect for on-the-go breakfasts or snacks. Made with nutritious ingredients like apples, eggs, and oatmeal.
- 16 Trader Joe’s Breakfast Items – Need some quick breakfast ideas? Check out this mix-and-match list to switch things up.
- Blueberry Banana Smoothie – This simple smoothie takes just 5 ingredients and 5 minutes to make! Don’t want to make your own? Try out daily harvest!
- Healthy Banana Oatmeal Pancakes – Just 5 ingredients to make these healthy little pancakes that are loaded with whole grains and sweetened naturally with fruit.
- English Breakfast – Sort of traditional, this hearty meal works anytime of day.
Anthony Bourdain’s secret to creamy scrambled eggs? Making your scrambled eggs with sour cream! Just 4 ingredients to make + ready in 15 min.
- 1/2 cup sliced bacon (about 2 slices of thick-cut)
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. chopped chives
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- Heat a medium or large pan (nonstick if you have it) over medium-high heat.
- Add bacon to pan and cook, stirring frequently, until bacon is crispy, about 4-5 minutes.
- Lower heat and spoon out some of the bacon fat, keeping bacon in the pan.
- Add eggs to pan, stirring constantly, and when set, remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream, chives and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- You can use thinly sliced green onions in place of chives, but chives are best!
Keywords: scrambled eggs with sour cream, sour cream in eggs, eggs and sour cream, creamy scrambled eggs, anthony bourdain scrambled eggs
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!