Ready to try out the secret to Anthony Bourdain scrambled eggs? Sour cream in eggs!!! Yes, we’re making scrambled eggs WITH sour cream. The end result? Perfectly creamy scrambled eggs – even if you overcook them. Just 4 ingredients and 15 minutes to make Anthony Bourdain’s eggs and sour cream!
If you aren’t familiar with Anthony Bourdain’s scrambled eggs, you’ll want to change that immediately, the trick to his scrambled eggs is genius.
Years ago, when we were new to California, we watched the LA episode of his Layover show and copied everything he did and everything he ate with dedication. We went out for Korean BBQ the very next night. We took his advice and ordered the pork neck stew. We made his scrambled eggs a few days later. We did not stay in a private bungalow at Chateau Marmont…but everything else? We did.
When Anthony Bourdain stays in his (fancy) bungalow, he always makes his own breakfast. I love that it’s one of those chef meals that features simple elements that come together in a delicious way.
Have I convinced you? Will you try this scrambled egg recipe with sour cream and report back?
This Anthony Bourdain scrambled eggs recipe was originally published in 2012 and updated in November 2020 to include more complete instructions and tips so that your creamy scrambled eggs turn out perfectly every time. RIP, Chef. Here’s a picture from 2012, the rest of the photos are from 2017.
How to Make Scrambled Eggs with Sour Cream:
Let me show you how to make creamy eggs!
- Fry bacon. Slice the bacon into thin strips and cook in a nonstick skillet over until crispy. Spoon out some of the grease, leaving some in the pan as our fat.
- Cook eggs. Whisk eggs and add them to the nonstick skillet (with bacon) over low heat (no milk, no water!!!) and stir constantly, until eggs are set.
- Finish Bourdain scrambled eggs. When eggs are finished cooking, stir in a dollop of sour cream and chopped chives.
Can You Put Sour Cream in Eggs?
Wondering about mixing sour cream with eggs?
I totally get it. I know that you might be thinking that sour cream in eggs is gross – or sacrilege – or both, but it works! The dollop of sour cream at the end of cooking turns scrambled eggs (even dry, over-cooked eggs) into perfect creamy scrambled eggs – all without the pressure of cooking them perfectly.
Seriously. Anthony Bourdain eggs wouldn’t exist without the sour cream!
So yes. You can put sour cream in eggs.
How to Store Leftover Eggs and Sour Cream:
Store any leftover scrambled eggs with sour cream in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Eggs are not the best reheated, but the sour cream in eggs trick helps with reheating, too!
Gently reheat your Anthony Bourdain scrambled eggs in a skillet with some butter over medium heat, or in the microwave, just until warm.
Creamy Scrambled Eggs Nutrition + Substitutes:
These simple scrambled eggs with sour cream have 285 calories per serving, 23 grams of fat, and 17 grams of protein. Full nutrition stats can be found below the recipe card.
I’m fairly certain that Chef was not a fan of substitutions…so do so at your own risk! Anthony Bourdain perfect scrambled eggs substitutes:
- Egg Whites – Nope. Don’t do it.
- Light Sour Cream – Nope. Don’t do it.
- Chives – Could use thinly sliced green onions, but chives are best and highly recommended.
More Breakfast Recipes:
If you like this perfectly creamy scrambled eggs recipe, you might also like some of these other easy breakfast recipes:
- Breakfast Tacos – This simple meal really works any time of day – breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Don’t forget the chipotle sour cream, now that you’re all about eggs and sour cream, I know you won’t! 🙂
- Baked Apple Oatmeal Bars – These bars are perfect for on-the-go breakfasts or snacks. Made with nutritious ingredients like apples, eggs, and oatmeal.
- 16 Trader Joe’s Breakfast Items – Need some quick breakfast ideas? Check out this mix-and-match list to switch things up.
- Blueberry Banana Smoothie – This simple smoothie takes just 5 ingredients and 5 minutes to make! Don’t want to make your own? Try out daily harvest!
- Healthy Banana Oatmeal Pancakes – Just 5 ingredients to make these healthy little pancakes that are loaded with whole grains and sweetened naturally with fruit.
Helpful Tools to Make Anthony Bourdain Scrambled Eggs:
- Nonstick Skillet – I like to make creamy scrambled eggs in a nonstick skillet so there is absolutely no sticking!
- Silicone Spatula Set – This set has all of the spatula sizes you need! I love this brand for silicone kitchen tools.
Anthony Bourdain’s secret to creamy scrambled eggs? Making your scrambled eggs with sour cream! Just 4 ingredients to make + ready in 15 min.
- Heat a medium or large pan (nonstick if you have it) over medium-high heat.
- Add bacon to pan and cook, stirring frequently, until bacon is crispy, about 4-5 minutes.
- Lower heat and spoon out some of the bacon fat, keeping bacon in the pan.
- Add eggs to pan, stirring constantly, and when set, remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream, chives and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- You can use thinly sliced green onions in place of chives, but chives are best!
Keywords: scrambled eggs with sour cream, sour cream in eggs, eggs and sour cream, creamy scrambled eggs, anthony bourdain scrambled eggs