Learn how to make steak quesadillas with shaved beef steak, flank steak, or even leftover steak! This steak and cheese quesadilla recipe has layers of cheese, sautéed peppers and onions, steak, and more cheese. Yes, we’re making this steak quesadilla recipe EXTRA cheesy. Then add ALL the toppings.
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Table of Contents
- Steak Quesadilla Recipe Ingredients
- How to Make Steak Quesadillas:
- Steak Quesadillas FAQs
- How to Store Leftover Steak Fajita Quesadillas
- Steak Quesadilla Nutrition + Substitutes
- Toppings for Steak Quesadillas:
- More Mexican-Ish Recipes
- Pin this steak quesadilla recipe for later!
This steak and cheese quesadilla recipe was originally published in October 2017 and updated in April 2021 to include step-by-step instructions, frequently asked questions, a video, and MORE!
Steak Quesadilla Recipe Ingredients
This steak and cheese quesadilla recipe is made with basic ingredients:
- Bell peppers – I recommend red and yellow, but any combination will work
- Onion – I used a white onion, but any variety will work
- Steak – More on steak options below!
- Seasonings – Sea salt, cumin, garlic powder
- Shredded cheese – Use a Mexican blend or cheddar, or anything that melts well
- Tortillas – Use large, 10-inch tortillas either white or wheat
How to Make Steak Quesadillas:
No quesadilla maker necessary, I’ll show you just how to make steak quesadillas on the stove.
- Prep the ingredients. Dice peppers and onions. Season steak with sea salt, garlic powder, and cumin.
- Cook the vegetables. Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat and add peppers and onions to pan. Season with salt and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until soft.
- Cook the steak. Wipe out pan for vegetables and add remaining olive oil to pan. Cook steak until desired doneness. It will take just a few minutes!
- Assemble steak quesadillas. Layer one tortilla in a large saute pan and top with 1/3 cup of the shredded cheese, 2/3 cup of the pepper mixture, 1/2 cup steak, and 1/3 cup shredded cheese and top with top tortilla.
TIP: Watch the video below, but I like to add two layers of cheese to give it MAJOR cheese flavor, but also to help keep all of the ingredients INSIDE the quesadilla.
- Cook steak and cheese quesadillas. Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until cheese is melted and tortillas are golden brown.
- Serve. Cut steak quesadillas into wedges and serve with toppings.
All that’s left is to compile the quesadillas. Protein. Veggies. Whole grains. Flavor. Gangs all here in the BEST steak quesadillas.
Steak Quesadillas FAQs
What kind of steak for quesadillas?
You have many options for steak quesadillas. Shaved steak like I’ve used here is incredibly easy and cooks very fast, but you can also use flank steak or even ribeye that’s thinly sliced.
Another option is to use leftover steak for these quesadillas. Simply slice thinly against the grain. No need to cook it as it’s already cooked and you can heat it up while the quesadilla cooks.
What is the best cheese for quesadillas?
You can use many different cheeses for quesadillas. The most important thing is that you choose a cheese that will melt well.
Cheeses like a Mexican blend, cheddar, mozzarella, or Monterey jack. Oaxaca and Chihuahua cheeses are more authentic Mexican cheeses that melt well. I prefer to buy cheese already shredded, but you can also shred your own. Up to you!
Do I grease the pan for quesadilla?
Some people grease the pan with butter or oil before cooking these steak and cheese quesadillas, but I never do as I don’t think it’s necessary and cooking the tortillas right on the pan will get them crispy without oil.
So it’s up to you. 🙂
What do you eat with steak quesadillas?
I like to turn these quesadillas into a full meal by serving them with a ton of toppings, which is usually enough.
How to Store Leftover Steak Fajita Quesadillas
Store leftover quesadillas in the refrigerator for 2-3 minutes. It’s best to make the steak quesadillas fresh, so if you can make just what you need and store the components in the fridge until you’re ready to eat them.
Can you make quesadillas ahead of time?
You can, but quesadillas are best fresh. I would recommend prepping and cooking the components ahead a day or two, but cooking right before serving for the BEST steak quesadillas.
Can you reheat a quesadilla?
Yes, you can reheat a quesadilla. Cook in a nonstick skillet until heated through for best results.
If you microwave it, your quesadilla will end up soggy.
Can you freeze a quesadilla?
Yes, you can freeze quesadillas for 2-3 months. Store in a freezer or stasher bag. Let thaw overnight and reheat in a hot pan for best results.
Steak Quesadilla Nutrition + Substitutes
If you want to swap out any of the ingredients and toppings, here are a few ways you can add even more nutrition into this meal:
- More veggies – You could also saute some diced mushrooms or zucchini to the peppers and onions
- More fiber – Serve the steak quesadillas with beans on the side, or add a dollop to the quesadillas.
How many calories are in a steak quesadilla?
Each FULL steak quesadilla has 598 calories. It’s a pretty filling meal, so you can serve it as a full meal with toppings, or serve 1/2 quesadillas with some sides, depending on appetites.
Toppings for Steak Quesadillas:
What makes this the best steak quesadilla recipe?! TOPPINGS! They add great flavor and crunch, choose a few (or all!) to add!
- Thinly sliced lettuce
- Sliced grape tomatoes
- Chopped onion
- Chopped cilantro
- Pickled jalapeno peppers
- Sour cream
- Diced avocado
More Mexican-Ish Recipes
If you like this cheese and steak quesadilla recipe, you might also like some of these other Mexican-ish recipes:
- Weeknight Beef Tostadas – Layer up crispy shells with beans, taco meat, and tons of fresh toppings. Ready in 30 minutes.
- Mexican Tater Tot Casserole – You know you want this one! It’s casserole topped with tater tots. Enough said.
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken – Make the EASY, 2-ingredient salsa chicken in the slow cooker, then turn it into baked chicken tacos and cheater chilaquiles.
- Mexican-Style Cauliflower Rice – If your Mexican meal needs a veggie side, THIS is the one to make.
Do you know how to make steak quesadillas? The whole family will love this SIMPLE steak quesadillas recipe that’s also loaded with veggies!
- Prepare ingredients: Dice peppers and onion. Season steak with 1/2 teaspoon of the sea salt and sprinkle with garlic powder and cumin.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add peppers and onion to pan and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5-7 minutes, until vegetables have softened. Set aside and wipe out pan with paper towel.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil to pan and when hot, add steak to pan. Cook until desired doneness, which will depend on cut of steak. I cooked my shaved beef steak for about 2 minutes per side. Set aside and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Assemble quesadillas. In large skillet over medium heat, layer in the following order: bottom tortilla, 1/3 cup shredded cheese, 2/3 cup pepper mixture, 1/2 cup steak, 1/3 cup shredded cheese, and top tortilla.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes, and when cheese starts to melt, carefully flip over with large flipper and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Repeat with remaining 3 quesadillas.
- Cut into wedges and serve with toppings. (See topping ideas in post or below)
- Topping ideas: shredded lettuce, sliced grape tomatoes, avocado, salsa, sour cream, hot sauce
Keywords: steak quesadillas, how to make steak quesadillas, steak and cheese quesadillas