The whole family will love this EASY steak quesadillas recipe! It’s perfect for busy weeknights and packed with steak, peppers, onions, and cheese.
When you’re looking for easy dinners, I’m your girl! I prefer them to be easy, healthy, not fussy, and delish! (Of course.) These flank steak quesadillas fit all of the criteria.
What is Healthy About this Easy Steak Quesadillas Recipe?
I thought you might be wondering…prepare for some nutrition philosophy talk!
And I think this is something I’ve needed to address for quite some time now. (I sort of brought it up in my last post: Feeding Kids: It Doesn’t Need to be Perfect.) You see, I don’t follow a “diet.” I’m not paleo, clean, gluten free, grain free, low carb, low calorie, or keto. I think that some people might assume that because I’m a Nutritionist, that I only eat quinoa salads, green juice, and almonds.
For the record, I like all of those things, just like I like food and meals that fall under all of the diets I mentioned above. I also like cheeseburgers, cupcakes, wine, and ridiculous amounts of cheese.
I practice mindfulness/intuitive eating. This means that I listen to my body and when I want a bagel, I eat the damn bagel. No restrictions = no guilt = no need to overeat.
When I think about my goal for my site and my recipes, the biiiiiiig goal, the impact I want to leave, it’s that I hope people get into the kitchen! To cook more, to stress about food less, to enjoy meals, to eat REAL food. To eat mostly foods that are wholesome and unprocessed, but also to not feel bad if you eat a bag of fritos.
The middle ground can feel confusing, and unstructured. But once you get to the place of no judgement, and no “bad” foods, it feels so good. It’s all just food.
This is exactly why a healthy steak quesadilla recipe is just that. Not because it’s not grain free, low calorie, or anything else. But because it’s FOOD. And it satisfies us. And it nourishes us. And it’s easy to make. (BONUS!)
Now, I must be real. As much as I love pizza and cupcakes, I also love meals that are crammed with nutritious ingredients, especially vegetables. So this easy steak quesadillas recipe has sautéed peppers and onions. And then we can top it with even more fresh toppings. See below for ideas.
How to Make Steak Quesadillas:
No quesadilla maker necessary, I’ll show you just how to make quesadillas on the stove.
First you’ll want to chop your peppers and onions (yes, we’re going to add some veggies to these steak quesadillas).
Next we cook the steak. The flank steak cooks up really quickly, which is key.
All that’s left is to compile the quesadillas. Protein. Veggies. Whole grains. Flavor. Gangs all here in the BEST steak quesadillas.
Toppings for Steak Quesadillas:
I love adding a little more flavor and nutrition to my easy steak quesadillas with fresh toppings. They add great flavor and crunch, choose a few to add!
- Thinly sliced lettuce
- Sliced grape tomatoes
- Chopped onion
- Chopped cilantro
- Pickled jalapeno peppers
- Sour cream
- Diced avocado
Steak Quesadillas are an easy dinner recipe, perfect for busy weeknights and family-friendly.
- 2 medium sized peppers, I used red and yellow
- 1/2 white onion
- 3/4 lbs. steak, flank or shaved beef cut
- 1 tsp. sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 oz. shredded cheese, mexican blend or cheddar
- 8 flour tortillas
- seasonings: salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder
- Prepare ingredients: Remove core of peppers and chop. Chop onion. Season steak with 1/2 teaspoon salt and sprinkle with garlic powder and cumin.
- Heat large pan over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and when oil is hot, add chopped peppers and onion to pan. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Heat, stirring occasionally, 6-7 minutes, until vegetables have softened. Set aside and wipe out pan with paper towel.
- While peppers and onions are cooking, prepare another pan for steak. Add remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil to pan and when hot, add steak to pan.
- Cook until desired doneness, which will depend on cut of steak. I cooked my flank steak for about 2-3 minutes per side. Set aside and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Compile quesadillas: In large saute pan over medium heat, layer in the following order: bottom tortilla, 1/3 cup shredded cheese, 2/3 cup pepper mixture, 1/2 cup steak, 1/3 cup shredded cheese, and top tortilla.
- Cook for about 2-3 minutes, and when cheese starts to melt, carefully flip over with large flipper and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Repeat with remaining 3 quesadillas.
- Cut into wedges and serve with toppings.
- Topping ideas: shredded lettuce, sliced grape tomatoes, avocado, salsa, sour cream, hot sauce
Keywords: quesadilla, steak quesadilla