You’ll love this list of creative and interesting ricotta toast ideas! Ricotta on toast is not only a nutritious and balanced breakfast, but it’s also endlessly customizable! Whether you’re keeping it classic with honey ricotta toast or going the savory route, serve with a sweet cream cold foam coffee, iced espresso, latte, or a lavender latte. And make some lemon ricotta pasta with the leftovers!
Similar to my avocado toast toppings list, hummus toast, and peanut butter toast toppings list, these ricotta toast recipes are less of a recipe and more a mega list of ideas and inspiration. And if you prefer, you could also use whipped cottage cheese instead of the ricotta with any of these toppings.
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About Ricotta on Toast
- Topping Ideas
- 9 Basic Ricotta Toast Recipes
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Make Ricotta Toast
- What to Serve with Ricotta Toast Recipes
- More Easy Toast Ideas
What You’ll Love About Ricotta on Toast
- Nutritious and satisfying meal
- Great any time of day
- Quick and easy prep
- So many possibilities for toppings
- Made with simple ingredients
There are SO many ricotta toast ideas! This list certainly isn’t exhaustive so feel free to make it your own, but this list should get you started with a ton of ideas on how to top your to sweet and savory ricotta toast.
You can use fresh fruit, frozen (and thawed) fruit, dried fruit, and preserved fruit. SO many options and the combination of creamy ricotta cheese plus sweet fruit tastes like a sweet treat.
- banana slices
- fresh berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries)
- sliced apples or pears
- sliced peaches or plums
- diced dried fruit (apricots, figs, or dates are delicious!)
- frozen blueberries
- jam or jelly
Add a layer of sweet flavor to your ricotta on toast and you have a sweet and satisfying treat, meal, or even dessert.
- Nutella drizzle
- mini chocolate chips
- honey or maple syrup
- cinnamon sugar
Of course I love adding veggies into meals in a delicious and easy way (thanks Nutrition degree!) and these are all great options to add some color, crunch, flavor, and nutrients.
- tomatoes (this tomato toast is also a must!)
- sliced radish
- cucumber ribbons
- sautéed greens (spinach, kale, etc.)
- sautéed mushrooms
- fresh herbs (try fresh mint, basil, parsley, cilantro, dill)
- sun-dried tomatoes
- kimchi or other pickled vegetables
Not literal sprinkles, but crispy ideas for giving your ricotta toasts some crunch and texture.
- slivered almonds
- chopped walnuts
- chia seeds
- hemp seeds
- sunflower seeds
- sesame seeds
- shredded coconut
- crunchy roasted chickpeas
- everything bagel seasoning
Proteins + Flavor
Want to add some more staying power to your meal? Here are the best ricotta cheese on toast
toppings to add in some protein (and flavor!).
- peanut butter or nut butter (for a creamy pb toast)
- smoked salmon
- crispy prosciutto
- crumbled bacon
- scrambled or fried egg
- olives or tapenade
- balsamic vinegar or vinegar glaze
- high quality olive oil
- toasted sesame oil
9 Basic Ricotta Toast Recipes
These ricotta toast ideas are classics for a reason.
- Ricotta Avocado Toast – ricotta, avocado, micro greens or sprouts, everything bagel seasoning
- Ricotta Tomato Toast – ricotta, tomato, fresh basil, and a drizzle of olive oil, balsamic glaze, and flaky sea salt
- Olive – ricotta, olive tapenade, olive oil, freshly cracked black pepper, and flaky sea salt
- Radish – ricotta, thinly sliced radish, olive oil, Aleppo pepper, and flaky sea salt
- Smoked Salmon – ricotta, smoked salmon (lox), capers, fresh dill, lemon zest
- Berry and Honey – ricotta, fresh raspberries, drizzle of honey, crushed pistachios
- Ricotta Toast with Jam or Preserves – ricotta, preserves, hemp seeds
- Pear – ricotta, sliced pear, drizzle of honey, fresh thyme
- Fig Ricotta Toast – ricotta, thinly sliced figs, drizzle of honey, chopped walnuts
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I use whole milk ricotta or skim milk ricotta?
I personally always opt for full-fat ingredients as I think they taste better and are more satisfying, but you could use whichever you prefer.
What can I do with a lot of ricotta cheese?
Uhhhhhhh, ricotta on toast is a great way to enjoy a delicious meal, while using up extra ricotta cheese. Grab a few toppings (you probably already have some of these) and enjoy it for a breakfast, lunch, or snack! It’s also delicious dolloped onto pizza or stirred into cooked pasta.
What is the best bread for ricotta toast?
Go with your favorite! A high quality artisan or sourdough bread will always be my favorite for toast, but I don’t always have it on hand. I do usually have a whole grain bread (sprouted, typically!) and so it really depends on what you have and what you prefer. (Try with air fryer toast!)
How many calories are in a ricotta toast?
The ricotta avocado toast calories estimate can be found below, but will vary based on bread, ricotta cheese, and the toppings you use.
Instead of solely focusing on calories, I like to look at these ricotta toast recipes as a nutritious combination that provides protein, fiber, and filling fats. Then add other toppings for major flavor.
How do I make whipped ricotta toast?
To make whipped ricotta, simply place ricotta cheese in a small food processor and process until smooth. I don’t think it changes the texture enough to warrant the dirty dishes and extra effort, but if you prefer it, simply whip the ricotta and then top with toppings. Some like to add in a little fresh lemon juice (similar to my whipped lemon feta) or other seasonings.
How to Make Ricotta Toast
We don’t really need a FULL step-by-step as this is a non-recipe recipe, but here are the general steps:
- Toast bread. Toast bread in a toaster or in a hot skillet or grill pan.
- Spread with ricotta cheese. Give your toast a healthy (and by healthy I mean thick) spread of your ricotta cheese.
- Add toppings. Pick the toppings that you’re going to use and sprinkle accordingly.
- EAT! Enjoy this delicious and nutritious meal.
What to Serve with Ricotta Toast Recipes
If you want to round out your toast, try one of these sides:
- Breakfast – Serve with mini chocolate chip muffins, air fryer hash browns, breakfast sausages or bacon, a variety of fresh fruit, and cold foam cold coffee or iced espresso.
- Lunch – Serve with raw veggies and dip, a Greek cucumber salad, kale apple slaw, simple green salad, or black bean quinoa salad.
More Easy Toast Ideas
It’s no secret that toast (and alllllll the toast toppings) is a favorite meal. If you love it as much as I do, be sure to try one of these toast ideas next:
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning?
Hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm because your dinner is already planned.
You’ll love this list of 57 creative + interesting ricotta toast topping ideas plus 9 popular ricotta toast recipes.
- 2 slices bread
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- olive oil
- micro greens or sprouts
- hemp seeds or everything but the bagel sprinkles
- This is less of a recipe and more about different ideas on what to top your ricotta toast with. See the mega list of topping ideas above.
- Nutrition facts are an estimate based on 2 slices of bread, 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, 1/2 of an avocado, 1/4 cup sprouts, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon everything bagel sprinkle.
Keywords: ricotta toast, ricotta on toast, ricotta toast recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!