If you’re looking for delicious ways to enjoy those summer tomatoes, this tomato toast recipe is IT. Basic tomato toast is elevated with a few simple ingredients that highlight the tomatoes. One bite and you’ll be hooked.
Once the tomato plants start producing, everyone is looking for recipes with summer tomatoes! This tomato toast breakfast is a delicious way to start your day, but I also serve it as a dinner with some bacon and eggs on the side. You can also bulk up the meal with a side salad or some other garden-fresh veggies. And if you’re on a mission to enjoy all those summer tomatoes at their peak, be sure to try my bruschetta chicken pasta or avocado BLT.
The tale of the best tomato toast ever goes a little something like this:
- Read about best tomato toast in Bon Appétit and make a version as soon as possible.
- After the first bite, immediately curse yourself for not reading this issue sooner.
- Make again and again and again.
- Share with YOU!
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Table of Contents
What You’ll Love about the BEST Tomato Toast
- It’s a great way to highlight summer tomatoes
- Made with simple ingredients
- Ready in just 10 minutes
- Elevated, but easy
- So much flavor in each bite
Tomato Toast Recipe Ingredients
The beauty of this tomato garlic toast is that simple ingredients come together in the most-delicious way. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Garlic – Fresh, not jarred for this recipe!
- Lemon – We’re using the zest, so you’ll need an actual lemon, not just the juice
- Bread – Use an artisan, crusty bread like sourdough
- Perfectly ripe tomatoes
- Flaky sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Olive oil
How to Make Tomato Toast
Looking for some summer tomato recipes that come together quickly? This is it!
- Mix garlic mayo. Zest and juice 1/2 lemon. In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, grated garlic, and lemon juice.
- Prep ingredients. Slice chives and bread.
- Toast bread. While bread is toasting, slice tomatoes.
- Assemble tomato toast. Slather garlic mayo over toast and top with sliced tomatoes, olive oil, flaky sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, lemon zest, and chives.
Tomato Toast Recipe Tips
- Use perfectly ripe tomatoes. They are the star of this recipe.
- Cut tomatoes with a serrated knife so you don’t bruise or smash them.
- Cut tomatoes RIGHT before serving so they don’t lose all of their juices.
- Use a high-quality bread. This is not the time to skimp on bread!
The garlic mayo can be made ahead, but everything else should be done right before serving.
What to Serve with Tomato Toast
This makes a light summer meal, but if you want to make it a bit more hearty, here are a few ideas:
- Serve with bacon and eggs as part of an easy breakfast-for-dinner meal.
- As a side to grilled chicken thighs or grilled chicken drumsticks
- Summer Peach and Burrata Salad
- Grilled Mexican Street Corn
- Lemon Arugula Salad
- Everyday Side Salad
More Easy + Delicious Toast Recipes
If you love this tomato toast recipe, you might also like some of these other toast recipes:
The BEST tomato toast recipe! Ready in just 10 min, the basic tomato toast gets a few simple upgrades. One bite and you’ll be hooked!
- Prepare ingredients:
Place mayonnaise in a small bowl.
Use a microplane zester to grate garlic into mayo bowl.
Zest and juice lemon (you’ll need half) and add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to mayo bowl. Set aside zest.
Wash and thinly slice the chives.
- Slice tomatoes and lightly toast bread. You want the slightest hint of crunch.
- Layer mayo mixture on bread, and top sliced tomatoes, a drizzle of olive oil, flaky salt, freshly cracked black pepper, a sprinkle of lemon zest, and a sprinkle of chives.
- Get your kids involved! They can: mix mayo mixture together, top their own tomato toast.
- Wait to slice tomatoes until right before eating so that you retain as much of the juice as you can!
Keywords: toast, breakfast for dinner, easy dinner, tomato toast, best tomato toast, summer tomato recipes