If you’re looking for delicious ways to enjoy those summer tomatoes, this tomato toast recipe is IT. Basic tomato toast is elevated with a few simple ingredients that highlight the tomatoes. One bite and you’ll be hooked. It’s no surprise that I love tomato toast, given my love for toast in general. It makes such a great simple, nutritious, and delicious meal – anytime of the day. Be sure to try my avocado toast, ricotta toast, hummus toast, and peanut butter toast next time.
Once the tomato plants start producing, everyone is looking for recipes with summer tomatoes (myself included)! Try tomato toast for breakfast but it’s truly delicious any time of day. Pair it with a protein like creamy scrambled eggs for a breakfast-for-dinner situation or serve it with some other summer veggies and a simple lemon kale salad. If you can’t wait for perfect tomatoes, make roasted tomato toast with roasted grape tomatoes!
The tale of the best tomato toast ever goes a little something like this:
- Read about best tomato toast in Bon Appétit and make a version as soon as possible.
- After the first bite, immediately curse yourself for not reading this issue sooner.
- Make again and again and again.
- Share with YOU!
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
- What You'll Love About Tomato Toast
- How to Make Tomato Toast
- Tips for the Best Tomato Toast
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with the Best Tomato Toast
- How to Feed Tomatoes on Toast to the Whole Family
- Want More?
- More Tomato Recipes for Tomato Season
- Let me Meal Plan for you!
What You’ll Love About Tomato Toast
- It’s a great way to highlight summer tomatoes
- Made with simple ingredients
- Just 10 minutes total time
- Elevated, but easy
- So much flavor in each bite
The beauty of this tomato garlic toast is that simple ingredients come together in the most-delicious way. Here’s what you’ll need to make it:
- Mayonnaise – Use your favorite mayonnaise like Hellmans or Kewpie mayonnaise.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic is a must for this toast with tomato, please no jarred garlic here. 🙂
- Lemon – We’re using the zest, so you’ll need an actual lemon, not just the juice.
- Chives – Use fresh chives for best summer flavor.
- Bread – Use an artisan, crusty bread like sourdough bread, multigrain bread, or loaf of baguette.
- Tomatoes – Look for perfectly ripe and flavorful tomatoes like beefsteak tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, or slicing tomatoes
- Finishing touches – Flaky sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and a drizzle of good finishing olive oil
How to Make Tomato Toast
This is an overview on how to make tomato on toast, the detailed instructions can be found below in the recipe card.
Tips for the Best Tomato Toast
- Use perfectly ripe tomatoes. They are the star of this recipe so you want them to be high quality, perfectly ripe, and super juicy and flavorful.
- Cut tomatoes with a serrated knife so you don’t bruise or smash them.
- Cut tomatoes RIGHT before serving so they don’t lose all of their juices.
- Use a high-quality bread. This recipe is so delicious because it uses high-quality ingredients – bread included! Sourdough is delicious, but you can really use any artisan bread loaf.
The garlic mayo can be made ahead, but everything else should be done right before serving.
What to Serve with the Best Tomato Toast
This makes a light summer meal, but if you want to make it a bit more hearty, here are a few ideas:
- Serve with bacon and eggs as part of an easy breakfast-for-dinner meal.
- As a side to grilled chicken thighs or grilled chicken drumsticks
- Greek Potato Salad with Green Beans
- Arugula Watermelon Salad
- Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Napa Cabbage Slaw
How to Feed Tomatoes on Toast to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in.
I would recommend serving the components separate and let everyone make their own tomatoes on toast. Babies and toddlers could have small strips of toast with cut up tomatoes. Serve the meal with a few items you know your kids will eat, like fruit and milk, along with the bread.
More Tomato Recipes for Tomato Season
If you like this tomato toast breakfast, be sure to try some of these other easy tomato recipes:
- Greek Cucumber Salad
- Tomato Mozzarella Panini – Use sliced fresh tomato instead of grape tomatoes here
- Bruschetta Chicken Pasta Salad
- Avocado BLT with Dill Mayo
Let me Meal Plan for you!
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning? It’s time to hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm instead of stressed. Your dinner is planned and your grocery list is made and everything is conveniently delivered to an app so you can print it out, access from your phone, or computer.
The BEST tomato toast recipe! Ready in just 10 min, the basic tomato toast gets a few simple upgrades. One bite and you’ll be hooked!
- Prepare ingredients:
Place mayonnaise in a small bowl.
Use a microplane zester to grate garlic into mayo bowl.
Zest and juice lemon (you’ll need half) and add 1 tablespoon lemon juice to mayo bowl. Set aside zest.
Wash and thinly slice the chives.
- Slice tomatoes and lightly toast bread. You want the slightest hint of crunch.
- Layer mayo mixture on bread, and top sliced tomatoes, a drizzle of olive oil, flaky salt, freshly cracked black pepper, a sprinkle of lemon zest, and a sprinkle of chives.
- Get your kids involved! They can: mix mayo mixture together, top their own tomato toast.
- Wait to slice tomatoes until right before eating so that you retain as much of the juice as you can!
Keywords: toast, breakfast for dinner, easy dinner, tomato toast, best tomato toast, summer tomato recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!