Wondering what to put on avocado toast? You’ve landed in the right spot. I’m sharing a ton of avocado toast ideas (49 to be exact). Whether you’re making a classic avocado tomato toast or going wild with the avocado toast toppings, it makes for a fantastically delicious, nutritious, and super simple meal that’s suitable for any meal or snack. You can also try any of these avocado toast toppings and combinations on air fryer hash browns for a fun and trendy twist. Serve with a lavender latte or sweet cream cold foam coffee.
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About these Avocado Toast Topping Ideas
- Best Toppings for Avocado Toast (What to Put on Avocado Toast)
- How to Make Avocado Toast
- Avocado Toast Ideas
- How to Set Up an Avocado Toast Bar
- What to Serve with Avocado Toast
- More Easy Toast Ideas
What You’ll Love About these Avocado Toast Topping Ideas
- So many ways to add flavor
- Satisfying and nutritious meal
- Great any time of the day
- Quick and easy prep
- Endless possibilities for avocado toast toppings
Best Toppings for Avocado Toast (What to Put on Avocado Toast)
There are SO many toppings for avocado toast. This list certainly isn’t exhaustive so feel free to make it your own, but this list should get you started with a ton of ideas on things to add to avocado toast.
This list includes oils, seasonings, drizzles, etc…
- olive oil drizzle
- toasted sesame oil
- high quality vinegars
- balsamic glaze
- flaky sea salt (I will not make avocado toast without it)
- honey (yes, you can go sweet!)
- lemon juice
- lime juice
- salsa or pico de gallo
- chimichurri sauce
- aleppo pepper
- hot sauce
So many veggies to choose from and you really can’t go wrong.
- sliced radish
- cucumber ribbons
- bell peppers
- sautéed greens (spinach, kale, etc.)
- sautéed mushrooms
- fresh herbs (try basil, parsley, cilantro, dill)
- thinly sliced jalapeno pepper
- pickled red onion
- street corn (elotes)
- sun-dried tomatoes
- kimchi or other pickled vegetables
Not literal sprinkles, but savory ideas for giving your avocado toast some crunch and texture.
- sliced nuts
- hemp seeds
- sunflower seeds
- sesame seeds
- crunchy roasted chickpeas
- everything bagel seasoning
Cheese and Proteins
Want to add some more staying power to your meal? Here are the best avocado toast toppings to add in some protein (and flavor!).
- feta cheese
- goat cheese
- cotija cheese
- marinated mini mozzarella balls
- burrata cheese
- cream cheese
- freshly grated sharp cheddar
- peanut butter (for a Thai-inspired avocado toast)
- smoked salmon
- scrambled or fried egg
- breakfast sausage
- crumbled bacon
How to Make Avocado Toast
The simple avocado toast “recipe” is this:
- Toast bread.
- Prep avocado. Cut avocado in half with a knife and carefully remove pit. Slice with a knife or scoop out avocado flesh with a spoon and mash with a fork.
- Spread avocado on toast and add additional ingredients and toppings to taste. The best homemade avocado toast includes different flavors and textures.
TIP: I like to choose one or two toppings from each category – you can keep it super simple, mix-and-match flavors, or try one of the combinations below.
Avocado Toast Ideas
These combinations are classics for a reason
- Simple – avocado, olive oil, pinch of salt (preferably flaky sea salt)
- Fancy – avocado, burrata cheese, crispy prosciutto, olive oil, flaky sea salt, freshly cracked pepper
- Caprese – avocado, tomato, fresh basil, and a drizzle of olive oil, balsamic glaze, and flaky sea salt
- Avocado Tomato Toast – avocado, sliced tomatoes, goat cheese, everything bagel seasoning
- Radish – avocado, thinly sliced radish, olive oil, Aleppo pepper, and flaky sea salt
- Asian – avocado, thinly sliced cucumbers, drizzle of toasted sesame oil, flaky sea salt
- Smoked Salmon – avocado, smoked salmon (lox), capers, fresh dill
- Mexican – avocado, lime juice, sliced jalapeños, pepitas
- Bagel – cream cheese, avocado, everything bagel seasoning
Is avocado toast healthy?
Yes! Topping toast with avocado can make for a nutritious and satisfying meal. To add even more nutrition in, use a whole wheat or sprouted bread bread, and make sure to add some protein and vegetable toppings for a well-rounded meal.
What does Kylie Jenner put on her avocado toast?
Kylie makes a simple, but slightly elevated avocado toast. She spreads mashed avocado over toasted sourdough bread, drizzles it with honey, and sprinkles it with red pepper flakes and salt for a hot-honey and fancy avocado toast recipe.
What is the best bread for avocado toast?
Go with your favorite! A high quality artisan or sourdough bread will always be my favorite for toast, but I don’t always have it on hand. I do usually have a whole grain bread (sprouted, typically!) and so it really depends on what you have and what you prefer.
Should you use sliced or mashed avocado?
While I prefer the looks of thin avocado slices, it’s not the best for eating so when I’m making avocado toast for myself, I’ll always go with smashed avocado toast.
If you’re adding additional toppings to your avocado toast, they can slide off the sliced avocado, so I typically go with mashed, but it’s really personal preference.
How many calories are in avocado toast?
The calories in avocado toast will vary based on the bread, how much avocado you use, and the toppings. A basic avocado toast with bread, avocado, and sea salt has around 200 calories, but again, can vary greatly based on what you make it with.
How to Set Up an Avocado Toast Bar
This is such a fun food idea for parties, I LOVE DIY situations, especially when entertaining.
An avocado toast bar is perfect for weekend brunches, wedding and baby showers, girls weekends, or anytime you have guests.
Put out a variety of breads, avocado (either sliced or mashed with a bit of lemon juice) and then all of your toppings. If you’re toasting bread for a crowd, toast it in the oven or in a large skillet.
You can also have your guests bring their favorite topping, or “assign” people to bring avocado toast bar toppings from different categories.
Serve it all with the breakfast charcuterie board for a great spread.
What to Serve with Avocado Toast
It depends on when you’re having it. I’m sharing some ideas for both breakfast and lunches:
- Breakfast – Serve with mini blueberry muffins, air fryer hash browns, breakfast sausages or bacon, a variety of fresh fruit, and cold foam cold coffee.
- Lunch – Serve with a Greek cucumber salad, strawberry spinach goat cheese salad, kale apple slaw, simple green salad, or black bean quinoa salad.
More Easy Toast Ideas
If you like this healthy avocado toast recipe, you might also like some of these other easy toast ideas:
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning?
Hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm because your dinner is already planned.
Wondering what to put on avocado toast? Not with this list of 49 avocado toast toppings and ideas! Simple to fancy and everything in between.
- goat cheese
- everything bagel seasoning
- Toast bread.
- Top toast with sliced or mashed avocado.
- Place sliced tomatoes on avocado and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with goat cheese or everything bagel seasoning.
- Nutrition facts are an estimate based on 2 slices of bread, 1 small avocado, 4 slices of tomato, 1 oz. goat cheese, and 2 teaspoons everything bagel seasoning.
Keywords: avocado toast toppings, avocado tomato toast, what to put on avocado toast, avocado toast ideas
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!
Photo Credit: All photos in this post were take by Loren at Sweet Rustic Bakes