The latest and greatest mini muffin recipe…mini banana muffins! Reminiscent of banana bread, these muffins are light and fluffy like a bakery-style muffin, while still having some nutritious ingredients in the mix (just like my mini chocolate chip muffins and mini blueberry muffins). Try these banana mini muffins next time you have some bananas that are past their prime – they’ll be perfect for muffins!
I love serving these for kids lunches and snacks as they’ve got the perfect mix of fun and nutrition – all in the same bite! But if you’re serving them for breakfast, include them in a spread with mini frittatas, lox and bagels, and of course, sweet cream cold foam for YOU!
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About Mini Banana Muffins
- How to Make Banana Mini Muffins
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with Banana Bread Mini Muffins
- More Easy Muffin Recipes
What You’ll Love About Mini Banana Muffins
- Light and fluffy
- Slightly sweet
- Tastes like banana bread
- Mini = FUN!
- Made with simple ingredients
- Just 10 minutes prep time
- Just 15 minutes bake time
- Great addition to breakfasts, lunches, and snacks
You’ll need just 12 simple ingredients (mostly pantry staples) for this recipe for mini banana muffins:
- All-purpose flour – This helps keep the mini banana muffin recipe light and fluffy.
- Whole wheat flour – We’ve added some whole wheat flour for added protein and fiber but not SO much that it makes the muffins dense.
- Old-fashioned oats – Another boost of nutrition, without sacrificing flavor and texture.
- Sugar – We’re using brown sugar for classic banana bread flavor.
- Baking powder + baking soda
- Sea salt
- Banana – You’ll want to use ripe and soft bananas – they can be VERY ripe and brown. You’ll need about 1 cup of mashed banana, which is about 2 medium bananas.
- Greek yogurt – I’ve used vanilla, but you could also use plain. You could also use sour cream.
- Butter – Many muffin recipes are made with oil, but I prefer the rich flavor of butter. You could also use a light vegetable oil like avocado oil or canola oil.
- Egg – Use a high quality egg for best flavor.
- Vanilla extract – Use a high quality vanilla for best flavor.
- Corse sugar – This helps give a little texture and sweet flavor on the top of the muffins. It’s optional, unless you are my kids, who would consider it mandatory. 😉
TIP: To turn these into mini banana chocolate chip muffins, fold in 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips into the batter right before you put into the muffin tins. And to turn them into banana nut mini muffins, fold in 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans.
How to Make Banana Mini Muffins
Ok, let’s make some healthy banana mini muffins!
- Mix dry ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, whole wheat flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Mix wet ingredients. In a medium mixing bowl, melt butter. Stir in mashed banana, yogurt, egg, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- Mix banana muffin batter. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, mixing together just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Bake muffins. Bake muffins at high heat initially (this helps make them nice and tall!) and then lower heat and bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
TIP: Use muffin liners or cooking spray to help mini banana muffins release. I’ve found that they pop out of the silicone mini muffin pan easily, but if you’re using a traditional pan, line and spray if necessary.
- Cool muffins. Let muffins cool completely before removing them from the pan.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many calories are in a mini banana muffin?
These mini banana muffins have 68 calories per muffin. The nutrition facts are an estimate and will vary depending on recipe and exact size of muffins.
Are banana muffins healthy?
Yes, these muffins are made with nutritious ingredients (along with all-purpose flour and sugar) for a muffin that has some nutrition in it, but still tastes like a light and fluffy bakery-style banana. My goal with these muffins (and the mini cc muffins and mini blueberry muffins) has always been to add in as much nutrition as I can, without sacrificing any flavor and texture.
How many bananas make a cup?
It will depend a bit on the size of your banana, but I found that about 2 medium bananas mashed down to about a cup of mashed banana.
Store the mini banana muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Can you freeze mini muffins?
Yes, if you aren’t going to eat them in 2-3 days, freeze them in an airtight container like stasher bags or freezer bag (so you can remove as much air as possible) and freeze for 2-3 months. Take out to thaw before eating.
What to Serve with Banana Bread Mini Muffins
It depends on when you are serving recipe for banana mini muffins! We usually eat them as a dinner dessert (served at the same time, of course!), as a snack, or put into lunchboxes. Here are some ideas for all options:
- Breakfast: Serve with mini frittatas, creamy scrambled eggs, air fryer turkey bacon, breakfast sausage, fruit, yogurt, and milk.
- Lunches: I like to serve the mini banana bread muffins as the “fun/bonus” portion of kids lunchboxes. You can find my lunchbox framework here.
- Snacks: When my kids need a substantial snack, I like to make a “snack box” for them with a few different components that include a protein, fruit/veggie, and something sweet. Cheese, crackers, mini muffins, and some carrot sticks and apple slices are all staple items that go over well.
- Desserts: Serve alongside your dinner meal – at the same time! (Dessert with dinner info here.)
More Easy Muffin Recipes
If you like this banana mini muffins recipe, you might also like some of these other easy muffin recipes:
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning?
Hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm because your dinner is already planned.
Mini Banana Muffins Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 24 mini muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
These mini banana muffins use a few tricks to get tall and fluffy like the bakery muffins, and also include a boost of nutrition – the best of both worlds!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 bananas)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and stir together.
- In a medium bowl, melt butter. Add mashed banana, yogurt, egg, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir just until combined, being careful to not overmix.
- Divide mixture into mini muffin tin and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 8 minutes, then lower heat to 350 degrees F and bake for 6-8 more minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to easily fill the muffin tins.
Keywords: mini banana muffins, banana mini muffins
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!
Photo Credit: All photos in this post were take by Loren at Sweet Rustic Bakes
Did you like this recipe? Please leave a review and let me know what you thought! I appreciate it so much.