The whole family will love this mini chocolate chip muffins recipe! The batter is bakery style light and fluffy – with a few nutritious ingredients thrown in there – and sweet mini chocolate chips for fun. My mini chocolate chip zucchini muffins are very similar with a green addition! Everyone knows that little muffins are more fun than big ones! Yes, it’s fact. Plus, just like my mini blueberry muffins and mini banana muffin recipes, the mix-ins are customizable so you can always switch it up. For a sweeter treat, try my mini cupcakes.
I love serving this chocolate chip muffin recipe for kids lunches as they’ve got the perfect mix of fun and nutrition – all in the same bite! But if you’re serving them for breakfast, include them in a spread with mini frittatas, lox and bagels, and of course, cold foam coffee!
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
- Mini Muffin Recipe Ingredients
- How to Make Mini Muffins
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with Little Muffins
- More Easy Muffin Recipes
- Helpful Tools to Make Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
What You’ll Love About Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
- Fluffy texture
- Taste lightly sweet
- Mini so they are automatically fun
- Made with basic ingredients (mostly pantry staples)
- Prep in just 10 minutes + bake in 15
- Perfect as a part of breakfast, lunches, or snacks
- 1 g of fiber + 2 g protein per muffin
Mini Muffin Recipe Ingredients
These homemade chocolate chip muffins are made with basic ingredients. Most of them are probably already in your pantry.
- All-purpose flour
- Whole wheat flour
- Old-fashioned oats
- Baking powder + baking soda
- Sea salt
- Greek yogurt – I’ve used vanilla, but you could also use plain. You could also use sour cream.
- Vanilla extract
- Mini chocolate chips – I love mini chocolate chips in little muffins, but you could also use regular size chocolate chips or white chocolate chips.
How to Make Mini Muffins
This is truly an easy chocolate chip mini muffin recipe! Simply mix and bake:
- Mix dry ingredients. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, whole wheat flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt.
- Mix wet ingredients. Add milk, Greek yogurt, melted butter, egg and vanilla to a medium bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Mix muffin batter. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir together with a rubber spatula. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Bake muffins. Pour mixture into a mini muffin tin (use a cookie scoop to make it easy) and bake for 5 minutes, then lower oven heat, and bake until muffins are done. Test by sticking a toothpick into muffin – it should come out clean.
- Cool muffins. Place muffin pan on a wire rack to cool. If you try to take them out before they are cool, they will stick to pan.
TIP: Spray muffin cups with olive oil, avocado oil, or cooking spray to prevent any sticking if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many calories in a mini chocolate chip muffin?
The full nutrition stats are below the recipe card, but there are about 103 calories per mini chocolate chip muffin. (Calorie counts are always an estimate.)
Can I make them without the chocolate?
Yes, you definitely can! And I frequently do this for my youngest who doesn’t like chocolate (yet). You can use white chocolate or just leave them out completely. We sometimes add sprinkles on the top for fun.
Can I change the flours?
I played with the ratios of all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, and oats to end up with the best mini chocolate chip muffins that are made with whole grains, but are still light and fluffy. You can use all all-purpose flour, but I wouldn’t recommend using all whole wheat flour or the texture won’t be light and fluffy.
Store the healthy mini chocolate chip muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days.
Can you freeze mini muffins?
Yes, if you aren’t going to eat them in 2-3 days, freeze them in an airtight container like a stasher bag or freezer bag (so you can remove as much air as possible) for 2-3 months. Take out to thaw before eating.
What to Serve with Little Muffins
It depends on when you are serving these muffins! We usually eat them as a dinner dessert (served at the same time, of course!) or put into lunchboxes.
- Breakfast: Serve with mini frittatas, breakfast sausage, fruit, yogurt, and milk.
- Lunches: I like to serve the bite size muffins or fruit loop bars as the “fun/bonus” portion of lunches. You can find my lunchbox framework here.
- Desserts: Serve alongside your dinner meal – at the same time! (Dessert with dinner info here.)
More Easy Muffin Recipes
If you like this healthy chocolate chip muffin recipe, you might also like some of these other easy muffin recipes:
- Healthy Apple Muffins
- Green Spinach Blender Muffins
- Whole Grain Blender Muffins
- Healthy Apple Oat Bars (not a muffin, but close!)
It’s 5pm. Are you still wondering what’s for dinner?
Menu Plans by My Everyday Table can help you out.
The plan addresses three major issues when it comes to weeknight dinners: having a plan, time, and one family meal.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and feel calm when 5pm hits because your dinner is already planned.
Helpful Tools to Make Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe
- Small Cookie Scoop – Using a scoop with a trigger makes filling the muffin tins quick and easy.
- Silicone Mini Muffin Pan – Bake up mini muffin recipes like this one in a silicone mini muffin tin! No need to even use liners, they pop right out.
EASY mini chocolate chip muffins recipe is made with basic ingredients + just 5 minutes prep. Perfect for kid’s breakfast, lunches, or snacks.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, and oats sugar, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt and stir together.
- In a medium bowl, add milk, butter, eggs, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir just until combined, being careful to not over-mix. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide mixture into mini muffin pan and bake for 5 minutes, then lower heat to 350 degrees and bake for 8-10 more minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool completely.
- If using a traditional, metal muffin pan, use liners for the muffins so they don’t stick to the pan.
Keywords: mini chocolate chip muffins, mini chocolate chip muffins recipe, mini muffin recipes, little muffins
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!
Photo Credit: All photos in this post were take by Loren at Sweet Rustic Bakes