The whole family will love this brown sugar cinnamon oatmeal! This perfect breakfast combines nutritious oats with sweet flavor that everyone enjoys, plus it’s ready to eat in less than 10 minutes. Add a lavender latte for a super cozy breakfast.
Busy mornings call for an easy, satisfying, and healthy breakfast, be sure to try avocado toast (a personal favorite!), peanut butter toast, acai bowls, 5-minute breakfast board, or lox and bagels next time.
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About Cinnamon Brown Sugar Oatmeal
- How to Make Brown Sugar Cinnamon Oatmeal
- Additional Topping Ideas
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with Brown Sugar Oatmeal Recipe
- More Easy Oatmeal Recipes
What You’ll Love About Cinnamon Brown Sugar Oatmeal
- Delicious breakfast that’s sweet and cozy
- Nutritious whole grain meal
- Made with simple ingredients
- Just 7 minutes total time
This homemade brown sugar oatmeal is made with simple ingredients:
- Milk – I recommend using whole milk for creamy oatmeal, but you can use your favorite variety. Soy milk, almond milk, oat milk, or your preferred milk will all work.
- Water – This is used for cooking the oats – I tested using all milk, and found a combination of milk and water worked best.
- Oats – I recommend using old fashioned oats, but you can also use quick cooking oats or quick oats, you’ll just need to adjust the cooking time. You could also use steel cut oats, but know it will take a lot longer to cook. Try my pressure cooker steel cut oats and then you can add in the flavor.
- Salt – Salt might seem odd in a sweet breakfast, but it helps bring out the sweetness in this oatmeal and adds flavor.
- Brown sugar – Brown sugar is obviously a must in this brown sugar cinnamon oatmeal recipe! You can adjust the amount to personal taste.
- Cinnamon – Also a must and can also be adjusted to personal taste.
- Chopped nuts – Optional, see below for other topping ideas.
How to Make Brown Sugar Cinnamon Oatmeal
Ok, let’s make the oatmeal!
- Heat liquids. Bring milk and water to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook oats. Stir oats and salt into milk mixture and lower heat. Cook over low heat for about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until desired consistency.
- Flavor oats. Remove oats from heat and stir in brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Serve. Divide into bowls, drizzle with additional milk or heavy cream (a favorite at our house) if you like, and add any desired toppings.
TIP: If you think this might be too sweet for you, start with half of the amount of brown sugar and cinnamon. Add more to taste.
Additional Topping Ideas
Looking to add some crunchy texture or filling nutrition to your homemade oatmeal? Try some of these topping ideas:
- Chopped nuts – Walnuts, pecans, or almonds
- Seeds – Chia seeds or hemp seeds would add nutritious crunch
- Peanut butter – Or other nut butter like almond or cashew
- Sliced fruit – bananas, apples, or pears would all be delicious
- Granola – Sprinkle your favorite granola on top
- Sweet flavor
Store leftover cinnamon and brown sugar oatmeal in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat leftover oatmeal in the microwave or a small saucepan until heated through.
Can you freeze oatmeal?
Yes, you can freeze oatmeal (try using souper cubes!) and freeze for 2-3 months. Reheat until hot before serving.
How to prep oatmeal ahead
You can also prep this oatmeal ahead so that all you need to do is reheat it in the mornings. Simply double or triple the recipe (you can do this in the recipe card!) and then divide into storage containers. (A big batch will take a little longer to cook as you have more oatmeal.) Store in fridge and reheat in the morning.
What to Serve with Brown Sugar Oatmeal Recipe
This easy breakfast recipe is enough for a full meal, but try one of these sides or additions to make it more satisfying:
- Greek yogurt
- Hard-boiled egg
- Breakfast sausage or bacon
- Air fryer turkey bacon
- Fresh fruit
More Easy Oatmeal Recipes
If you like this brown sugar and cinnamon oatmeal recipe, you might also like some of these other easy oatmeal recipes:
- Overnight oats
- Sautéed banana oatmeal
- Banana oatmeal pancakes
- Mini blueberry muffins
- Whole grain apple muffins
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning?
Hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm because your dinner is already planned.
Everyone loves this homemade brown sugar cinnamon oatmeal! It’s cozy, sweet, and a nutritious start to your busy day.
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (add more to taste)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring milk and water to a simmer.
- Add in oats and salt and cook over a low simmer for about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until desired consistency.
- Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Divide into bowls and serve.
- Adjust brown sugar and cinnamon according to your own preferences.
Keywords: brown sugar cinnamon oatmeal
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!
Photo Credit: All photos in this post were take by Loren at Sweet Rustic Bakes