Have a big game coming up? This Hormel chili cheese dip is the perfect appetizer! You can make this chili cream cheese dip in just a few minutes of prep and a few minutes of heat. This hot chili cheese dip recipe is comprised of layers of cream cheese, Hormel chili (or your favorite homemade chili or canned chili), and shredded cheese. It may not sound like much, but when this combo is heated together, it’s totally irresistible!
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of Contents
What You’ll Love about Chili Cream Cheese Dip
There’s a lot to love about this layered chili cheese dip:
- Made with 3 ingredients
- Takes a couple minutes to make
- Easy to prep-ahead
- Utterly delicious dip!
- Perfect for game day appetizers
Hormel Chili Cheese Dip Ingredients
This chili and cream cheese dip comes together with just 3 ingredients!
- Cream cheese – Use your favorite brand of cream cheese.
- Can of chili – This is definitely a Hormel chili cream cheese dip, and it’s how I have always experienced it, but really you could use any kind of canned or even homemade chili.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – The recipe calls for cheddar cheese, but you could also use Monterey jack, Mexican cheese blend, or even pepper jack cheese if you want to add some spice.
- Chives – This garnish is totally optional, but adds a nice flavor. You could also use sliced green onion.
- Hot sauce – Another optional ingredient, but a nice way to add heat.
How to Make Chili Cheese Dip
When I say this hormel chili and cream cheese dip is ready-to-eat in 5 minutes, I mean start-to-finish! Let me show you how easy:
- Soften cream cheese. Place the block of cream cheese on the plate, platter or glass pie dish you are going to use to make the dip. Let it warm up for 5-10 minutes to soften.
- Layer dip. Smooth cream cheese out on the plate with a spatula. Spoon chili over the top and sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Heat dip. Cook dip in the microwave until cheese has melted.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you make this vegetarian?
Yes, this chili cheese dip recipe can easily be made vegetarian, just be sure to use a vegetarian chili. (You may even be able to trick the meat-eaters!)
Can you make this bean-free?
Yes, our Aunt always makes chili no beans cream cheese dip. I used a bean variety because we like beans, but it’s easy to make a bean-free version. Or make one of each and everyone is happy.
Is this gluten-free?
Yes, as long as the chili that you use is gluten-free, your chili cheese dip with cream cheese will be too.
Store leftover chili cheese dip in the refrigerator for 1 day.
To prep the 3-ingredient chili cheese dip, assemble the dip and cover with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container. Store in the fridge for 1-2 days.
How long does chili cheese dip last?
If you’ve already cooked the chili and cheese dip, it should be eaten within a day.
How to reheat
Reheat the dip in the microwave until heated through.
Can chili cheese dip be frozen?
Cream cheese doesn’t freeze and thaw well due to the water content, so freezing the dip is not recommended. And since you can assemble and cook it in 5 minutes, you can make it fresh any time.
What to Serve with Chili Cheese Dip Recipe
This easy chili dip is best with chips. Tortilla chips or potato chips are my favorites. 🙂
- Tortilla chips
- Potato chips
- Corn chips
- Fritos scoops
- Mini peppers
- Cucumber slices
More Easy Appetizer Recipes
If you like this chili cheese dip with cream cheese, you might also like some of these other easy appetizer recipes:
- Chipotle Corn Salsa
- Whipped Lemon Feta Dip
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
- Mezze Platter
- Greek Yogurt Dill Dip
This Hormel chili cheese dip recipe is always a HUGE hit at parties! It takes just 5 minutes and is made with just 3 ingredients.
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 15 oz. can Hormel chili
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- tortilla chips
- Spread cream cheese onto a plate or pie dish.
- Top with chili and shredded cheese.
- Microwave for 2-4 minutes, until cheese is melted. (My microwave was 3 minutes)
- Serve with tortilla chips.
- Use any chili variety (vegetarian, bean-free, homemade chili, etc.)
Keywords: chili cheese dip, chili cream cheese dip, hormel chili cheese dip, chili cheese dip recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!