Want to switch up your taco night? These chipotle chicken air fryer flautas are a fun way to mix it up. These flautas in the air fryer come together with just a few minutes of prep (thanks to cooked chicken!) and are easy to customize for the whole family. Don’t skip the chipotle sour cream, it adds the best smoky flavor (also delicious with air fryer mini tacos!). Just like my breakfast air fryer taquitos, these are a great meal that combine protein, carbs, and major flavor in a crunchy and cheesy vessel. Serve with fresh veggie toppings and it’s a delicious and nutritious weeknight dinner.
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
- What You'll Love About Air Fryer Flautas
- How to Make Flautas in Air Fryer
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with Chicken Air Fryer Flautas
- How to Feed Chicken Air Fryyer Flautas to the Whole Family
- Want More?
- More Easy Taco Recipes
- Let me Meal Plan for you!
What You’ll Love About Air Fryer Flautas
- Loaded with flavor
- Cheesy and crunchy
- Made with easy ingredients
- Easy to customize
- Just 10 minutes prep time
- Just 5 minutes cook time
- Chipotle peppers – Look for a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
- Sour cream – Use your favorite type of sour cream. If you aren’t going to use the chipotle sour cream, you could also use a light schmear of cream cheese.
- Shredded chicken – You have a few options for shredded chicken. You can use a slow cooker salsa chicken or leftover cooked chicken breasts that you shred or use rotisserie chicken for an easy shortcut.
- Cheddar cheese – Use shredded cheddar cheese or Monterey jack cheese to keep it easy, or a more flavorful cheese like queso asadero or queso Oaxaca. (Once I used these traditional cheeses in chicken fajita quesadillas, I fell in love!)
- Tortillas – Flautas are made with flour tortillas but you can use your favorite type of tortillas. I like to use a taco size, you want to make sure they’ll fit in the air fryer.
- Fresh toppings – Choose your favorite toppings like shredded lettuce, salsa, sliced jalapenos, sliced avocado, hot sauce, etc.
How to Make Flautas in Air Fryer
This is an overview on how to make chicken flautas in the air fryer, the detailed instructions can be found below in the recipe card.
Can you make frozen flautas in air fryer?
Yes, if you prefer to use frozen flautas that are already made, you can cook them for 7-10 minutes at 400 degrees F, or until they are golden brown. TIP: Check after 4 minutes and flip or gently shake basket.
Can you make crispy flautas with corn tortillas?
Technically no as traditional flautas are made with flour tortillas. If you use a corn tortilla (which is absolutely delicious), you’ll end up with a crispy air fryer chicken taquitos. 🙂
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
For best results, reheat flautas in the air fryer for 2-3 minutes, until heated through.
Can you freeze air fryer flautas?
Yes, you can freeze cooked flautas. To reheat, air fry for 6-8 minutes at 380 degrees F, or until heated through.
What to Serve with Chicken Air Fryer Flautas
Serve this easy air fryer recipe with your favorite sides or one of these recommendations:
- Refried Black Beans
- Black Bean Corn and Avocado Salad
- Mexican Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
- Street Corn or Elote in a Cup
- Mexican-Style Cauliflower Rice
- Chipotle Corn Salsa
- Fresh fruit
- Raw veggies and dip
How to Feed Chicken Air Fryyer Flautas to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in.
I would recommend letting older kids decide what goes into their flautas. Serve the meal with a few items you know your kids will eat, like refried beans, fruit, or cheese quesadillas.
Follow Emily on Instagram or TikTok for family dinner recipe videos and tips for feeding kids.
Prefer to get updates by email?
More Easy Taco Recipes
If you like this flautas in air fryer recipe, you might also like some of these other taco(ish) recipes:
Let me Meal Plan for you!
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning? It’s time to hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm instead of stressed. Your dinner is planned and your grocery list is made and everything is conveniently delivered to an app so you can print it out, access from your phone, or computer.
Switch up your taco night with these chipotle chicken air fryer flautas! This cheesy meal comes together in minutes and everyone can make their own.
- 2–4 chopped chipotle peppers (from canned in adobo sauce)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 small flour tortillas (taco size)
- fresh toppings: sour cream, pico de gallo
- In a small bowl, mix together chipotle peppers and sour cream.
- Assemble flautas. Spread a thin layer of chipotle sour cream on bottom of tortilla and top with about 2 tablespoons chicken and shredded cheddar cheese. Roll up tightly and place seam side down on a cutting board.
- Spray or brush with oil and air fry at 400 degrees F for 4-5 minutes.
- Freeze for 2-3 months and bake at 375 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes or air fry at 370 degrees F for 6-8 minutes.
Keywords: air fryer flautas, flautas in air fryer
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!