There is a lot to love about these black bean tostadas. Not only is it an incredibly satisfying meal, but it’s easy to make, and it’s my favorite type of meal for families – DIY and totally customizable. Put out all of the ingredients and let everyone make their own black bean tostada, according to their own preferences. (Just like my ground turkey tostadas!) The homemade refried black beans totally make this bean tostada and they only take 15 minutes, so make it happen! 😉
If you love black beans as much as I do, be sure to try my black bean crispy tacos, Cuban black beans and rice, black bean skillet, and Mexican quinoa black bean salad next time.
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
Table of Contents
- Black Bean Tostadas VIDEO
- What You’ll Love About Bean Tostadas
- Bean Tostada Ingredients
- How to Make Black Bean Tostadas
- More Tostada Toppings Ideas
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storage Instructions
- How to Serve Tostadas to the Whole Family
- What to Serve with Black Bean Tostadas
- More Easy Vegetarian Recipes
- It’s 5pm. Are you still wondering what’s for dinner?
- Helpful Tools to Make Black Bean Tostadas
Black Bean Tostadas VIDEO
What You’ll Love About Bean Tostadas
- Creamy rich flavors and cool fresh toppings
- Just 10 minutes prep time
- Just 15 minutes cook time
- Uses smart shortcuts
- Made with simple ingredients
- Customizable meal – let everyone make their own
Bean Tostada Ingredients
The black bean tostada recipe comes together with just a few simple ingredients:
- Red onion – You’ve got to use red onion for pickled red onions! For the flavor and the color.
- Vinegar – I’ve used a basic white vinegar, I’ve also used white balsamic vinegar and apple cider vinegar.
- Sour cream – Use sour cream or crema which is thinner than sour cream if you can find it. We will need to water down the crema with lime juice and potentially milk/water if the lime juice isn’t enough, so crema will solve this.
- Lime – Use a fresh lime as we are using both the zest and fresh lime juice for maximum flavor.
- Olive oil – You can use any vegetable oil here. Avocado oil would also work well.
- White onion – I prefer white or yellow onion for the refried black beans, but you could also use the other half of the red onion if you wanted to streamline things.
- Garlic – Use fresh garlic for best flavor or frozen garlic cubes for convenience.
- Black beans – Use canned black beans as a nice shortcut. You can also use cooked black beans, you’ll need both the beans and cooking liquid.
- Toppings – I’ve kept the toppings very basic, and beyond the pickled red onions and lime crema, I have used crisp romaine lettuce and chopped tomatoes. But really, anything goes.
How to Make Black Bean Tostadas
Now, let’s get to the tostadas! Here’s how to make them.
- Make pickled onions. Add thinly sliced onions into a small bowl or jar and cover with vinegar. Store in the fridge until it’s time to eat.
- Mix lime crema. In a small bowl, mix together sour cream, lime zest, and lime juice. Stir together and add milk or water in small amounts until it reaches a drizzle consistency.
- Make refried black beans. Heat oil in a large stainless steel skillet over medium heat and saute onions and garlic. Add beans and some of the bean liquid and simmer until thickened. Mash to desired consistency and season with salt to taste.
- Prep toppings. While the beans are cooking, prep your lettuce, tomatoes, and any other additional toppings.
- Assemble bean tostadas. Bring the tostada shells and toppings to the table and let everyone make their own perfect tostada. Layer bean mixture over shells, drizzle with lime crema, and sprinkle with shredded lettuce, and pickled onions.
More Tostada Toppings Ideas
If you want to put out MORE toppings, here are some good ones to try:
- Cheese – Sharp cheddar cheese, queso fresco, or pepper jack
- Veggies – Avocado, radish, onions, fresh cilantro
- Heat – Salsa, hot sauce, or sliced jalapeños
Frequently Asked Questions
Are tostadas healthy?
This healthy tostada recipe is! The layer of refried black beans is a great source of protein and fiber (not to mention delicious) and then topped with some veggies for fresh crunch and flavor. They are filling and satisfying and can be customized based on your own preferences.
How many calories are in a black bean tostada?
The calories will vary greatly depending on what toppings you use. You can see my full estimated calculation below the recipe card, but each bean tostada (with toppings) has about 200 calories.
Store tostada components in fridge for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat beans in the microwave or a hot skillet until warmed through.
Can you freeze refried black beans?
Yes! Refried beans will freeze well. Store in an airtight container (souper cubes are perfect) in the freezer for 2-3 months. Let thaw or defrost before reheating.
How to Serve Tostadas to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in. 😉
This is the type of DIY meal that is SO perfect for families as everyone can build their own tostada and make it according to their preferences.
All of my articles on feeding kids can be found here and if you want a FULL list of all of the videos I have with hacks, tips, scripts, and ideas for feeding kids, check out my instagram or tiktok page.
What to Serve with Black Bean Tostadas
I consider this a full meal (we’ve got protein, carbs, veggies, and major flavor!) but if you want to serve them as part of a larger meal or help stretch the meal, try one of these easy sides:
- Mexican-Style Cauliflower Rice
- Chipotle Copycat Fajita Veggies
- Grilled Mexican Street Corn
- Tex Mex Side Salad
More Easy Vegetarian Recipes
If you like this vegetarian tostada recipe, you might also like these other easy vegetarian recipes:
It’s 5pm. Are you still wondering what’s for dinner?
Menu Plans by My Everyday Table can help you out.
The plan addresses three major issues when it comes to weeknight dinners: having a plan, time, and one family meal.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and feel calm when 5pm hits because your dinner is already planned.
Helpful Tools to Make Black Bean Tostadas
- 12″ Skillet – Use a large pan, the bigger the surface area, the faster the beans will cook!
- Microplane Zester – I use this for citrus zest, garlic, and parmesan cheese. It’s a kitchen must.
- Citrus Juicer – The best way to ensure you’re getting all of the juice out of your citrus.
Easy Black Bean Tostadas Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings (3 tostadas) 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegetarian
These EASY + to feel good about mealtime delicious black bean tostadas consist of crunchy shells, homemade refried black beans, and cool and fresh toppings. A family fave!
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- crispy corn tostada shells
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 lime
For Refried Black Beans:
- Make pickled onions. Thinly slice 1/2 red onion and place into a bowl and cover with white vinegar.
- Mix lime crema. In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, lime zest, and lime juice. Thin sauce with milk or water if necessary so that it can be drizzled.
- Heat olive oil in large stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions to pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, until soft. Add garlic to pan and cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add beans to pan and stir together with onions. Add bean liquid to pan and bring to a simmer. Turn heat to low and cook at a low simmer for about 9-14 minutes until most of liquid has evaporated. Mash beans to desired consistency and season with sea salt to taste.
- Assemble tostadas. Put out toppings and let everyone build their own tostadas.
- Makes about 3 cups of refried black beans
Keywords: black bean tostadas, black bean tostada, bean tostada
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!
Did you like this recipe? Please leave a review and let me know what you thought! I appreciate it so much.