This is the bean and cheese burrito recipe you’ll find yourself making on repeat! Not only is it made with simple and nutritious ingredients, but it’s also ready to eat in just 10 minutes. The base of these refried bean burritos is the black refried beans that are also used in black bean tostadas. And probably something else soon because we can’t get enough of these beans!
This bean and cheese burrito recipe has also been requested numerous times for lunchboxes so they pack up nicely. If it’s dinner time, be sure to whip up a virgin margarita mocktail.
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About Bean Burritos
- Bean and Cheese Burrito Ingredients
- Topping Ideas for Refried Bean Burritos
- How to Make a Bean and Cheese Burrito
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storage Instructions
- How to Serve Bean and Cheese Burritos to the Whole Family
- What to Serve with a Refried Bean Burrito
- More Easy Black Bean Recipes
- Helpful Tools to Make Black Bean and Cheese Burritos
What You’ll Love About Bean Burritos
- Super DELICIOUS!
- Layers of creamy beans and melty cheese
- Filling and satisfying meal
- Made with simple ingredients
- Takes just 10 minutes total time
- Naturally vegetarian
Bean and Cheese Burrito Ingredients
You’ll need just a few ingredients to make this vegetarian burrito recipe:
- Tortillas – Look for burrito-sized flour tortillas, that are at least 10 inches in diameter so that you have enough room to roll it up.
- Refried black beans – Aka the BEST homemade refried beans. They take less than 15 minutes and 4 ingredients (garlic, onion, oil, and canned black beans) to make.
- Shredded cheese – I’ve used cheddar cheese, but you could use any cheese that melts well. Mozzarella cheese, Monterey jack, or Oaxaca (or quesillo) cheese would all work well.
- Toppings – The toppings are optional, but add great flavor, texture, and spice. See below for a full list.
Topping Ideas for Refried Bean Burritos
All vegetarian burritos need a few things – TOPPINGS! You can go as simple or as complex as you like. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Sour cream
- Queso sauce
- Pico de gallo
- Hot sauce
- Shredded lettuce
- Minced onion
- Chopped tomatoes
- Pickled jalapeños
How to Make a Bean and Cheese Burrito
When I say this recipe for refried bean burritos is easy, I mean it! Here’s how we make them:
- Make refried black beans. You can make these ahead or right before making the burritos, they take just 15 minutes.
- Assemble burritos. Lay out tortilla and place a sprinkle of cheese on the bottom third of burrito. Top with refried bean mixture and another sprinkle of cheese. Roll burrito up, and fold in the sides as you roll. Place seam side down and repeat with remaining tortillas and fillings.
- Cook burritos. Cook burritos seam side down first on a hot skillet or griddle and cook until golden brown and cheese has melted.
Frequently Asked Questions
What goes in bean burritos?
Bean burritos are pretty simple, and typically contain refried beans, cheese, and some versions also include diced onion.
How many calories are in bean burritos?
The bean and cheese burrito calories will vary based on the size of tortillas, how much of the beans you use, how much cheese you use, and if you use any toppings. See nutrition estimates below the recipe card, but these refried bean burritos have
Store cooked burritos in fridge for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
How to reheat
Reheat burritos in the microwave gently or in a hot skillet just until warmed through.
Can you freeze bean burritos?
Yes, you can freeze the burritos. Store foil wrapped burritos in a freezer bag (stasher bags work well). Freeze for 1-2 months.
To reheat: Unwrap burrito from foil and wrap loosely with a damp paper towel. Place on a microwave safe plate and heat for 2-4 minutes, until hot throughout. Cooking time will vary by microwave.
How to Serve Bean and Cheese Burritos to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in. 😉
My kids are so into these burritos that they regularly request them for lunch! But, burritos are a mixed food and if your kids aren’t sure about having food mixed, I would serve them deconstructed (little scoop of beans, corner of tortilla, and pile of cheese), or even let them make their own.
What to Serve with a Refried Bean Burrito
Serve this homemade bean and cheese burrito with a simple side or just put out a spread of toppings (see list above):
More Easy Black Bean Recipes
If you like this easy bean and cheese burrito recipe, you might also like some of these other easy black bean recipes:
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning?
Hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm because your dinner is already planned.
Helpful Tools to Make Black Bean and Cheese Burritos
- Stasher Bags – If you plan on freezing your burritos, wrap them in foil and then store in a stasher bag to keep them fresh.
- 12″ Nonstick Frying Pan – You can really use any skillet or griddle, but this just happens to be the one that I use for everything from creamy scrambled eggs to black bean burritos.
This EASY bean and cheese burrito recipe is made with a few ingredients and makes for a satisfying and delicious vegetarian meal.
- 4 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 3 cups refried black beans
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Make refried black beans.
- Assemble burritos. Lay out tortillas on a flat surface and place a sprinkle of cheese on the bottom third of burrito. Top with refried beans and another sprinkle of cheese. Roll burrito up, folding in the sides. Place seam side down and repeat with remaining tortillas and fillings.
- Cook burritos. Heat fry pan or griddle over medium heat. Cook burritos, seam side down first, for about 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown and cheese is melted.
Keywords: bean and cheese burrito, bean and cheese burrito recipe, refried bean burrito, bean burritos
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!
Photo Credit: All photos in this post were take by Loren at Sweet Rustic Bakes