You’re going to want to make this breakfast taquitos recipe ASAP! It’s a surprisingly nutritious and totally delicious meal that’s easier to make than you probably think. Cheese, egg, and breakfast sausage are wrapped up in a corn tortilla that’s air fried until crispy (just like my air fryer flautas) and served with some fresh toppings. I call these breakfast taquitos, but they are honestly fantastic any time of day and perfect for a breakfast for dinner meal on busy weeknights. I can’t wait for you to try them!
This homemade breakfast taquitos recipe is brought to you proudly in partnership with Jones Dairy Farm. I’m excited to partner with them again into 2023, especially because we use their products every single week. (If you’ve ever seen my Costco hauls, you’ve seen me recommend their chicken sausages in BULK!)
Today features the delicious Jones Dairy Farm Chicken Sausage. (Aka the product we buy in bulk!) Our whole family loves these sausages and I love that they are full of flavor and take just a few minutes to prepare, making them an easy option for weekdays and weekends alike. They are also Certified Gluten-Free, allergen friendly, and made with all-natural ingredients which is especially helpful for families that need to pay close attention to ingredients and allergens.
Be sure to check out the other helpful posts brought to you in partnership with Jones Dairy Farm: easy breakfast for dinner ideas, sausage breakfast burritos, 5-minute breakfast board for kids, and of course, my easy protein hack for kids.
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of Contents
What You’ll Love About Breakfast Taquitos
- Delicious way to switch up breakfast
- Nutritious and full of protein
- Made with just 4 basic ingredients
- Just 20 minutes prep time
- Just 10 minutes cook time
You’ll need just 4 basic ingredients plus some optional toppings for these breakfast sausage taquitos:
- Eggs – Use your egg of choice here.
- Jones Dairy Farm Chicken Sausage Links – These are a must as they are juicy, flavorful, and a great protein addition in these sausage taquitos.
- Cheese – I’ve used shredded cheddar, but you can really use any cheese that melts well. Pepper jack, Monterey jack, colby, or queso asadero would also all work well.
- Tortillas – Use corn tortillas. Look for extra thin tortillas if you can, these will be easier to roll without breaking. If you would rather use flour tortillas, you’ll end up with breakfast flautas. 🙂
- Toppings – Sour cream, pico de gallo or salsa, hot sauce (These are optional and not necessary)
How to Make Breakfast Taquitos
Let’s make these breakfast taquitos! Full instructions and details can be found below in the recipe card.
- Prep eggs. Whisk eggs together in a small bowl and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Cook eggs. We’re going for a crepe-type cooked egg so pour eggs into a large nonstick skillet and swirl pan so eggs cover the entire pan. Cook for a few minutes, flip over (you can cut in half to do this) and cook until set. Cut into 12 strips.
TIP: This doesn’t need to be perfect, we’re just looking for thin strips of eggs.
- Cook sausage. Prepare Jones Dairy Farm sausage according to package instructions. Cut in half lengthwise.
- Heat tortillas. Heat tortillas on a plate for 15-30 seconds covered with a damp paper towel, just until warmed through. If they are hard to roll without cracking, you may need to heat them up again.
- Assemble breakfast taquitos. Place a strip of egg on the bottom of the tortilla, two pieces of sausage, and a sprinkle of shredded cheese. Tightly roll up and seal with a toothpick.
- Cook taquitos. Air fry taquitos until tortillas are golden brown and cheese has melted. Serve with variety of toppings.
Baked Breakfast Taquitos
If you prefer to bake the taquitos, bake at 425 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, until breakfast taquito is golden brown.
Tips for Making Taquitos
- Look for extra-thin tortillas – If you can find extra-thin tortillas, I recommend them as they roll up easier
- Heat up your tortillas – They need to be pliable so they roll up without cracking
- Don’t overstuff – It’s so tempting to add a ton of fillings to your air fryer breakfast taquitos, but they will break so restrain yourself! 😉
- Move quickly – The longer the rolled tortillas sit, the more likely they will break, so roll and cook quickly
- Brush with oil – To get some great crunch, brush with oil before air frying
These are best served immediately. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat breakfast taquitos recipe in the air fryer at 350 degrees F for a few minutes or in a 350 degrees F oven until hot.
Can you freeze breakfast taquitos?
Yes, you can freeze leftovers for 2-3 months in an airtight container. Bake frozen taquitos at 375 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes or air fry at 370 degrees F for 6-8 minutes.
What to Serve with Breakfast Taquitos Recipe
Besides a variety of fresh toppings, serve up these
- Fruit salad
- Fresh fruit
- Orange juice
- Coffee – Try a lavender latte, sweet cream cold foam, or an iced espresso.
- Air Fryer Hash Browns
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
If you like these egg and sausage breakfast taquitos, you might also like some of these other easy breakfast recipes:
You’re going to love this breakfast taquitos recipe! It’s made with basic ingredients, ready in 30 min, and it’s nutritious AND delicious!
- Whisk eggs in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Pour into an oiled large nonstick skillet and tilt and swirl pan so eggs cover the whole pan. (We’re going for a crepe-type egg so we have a thin layer of egg to put in the taquitos.) Cook, undisturbed, about 1-2 minutes, until totally set. Carefully flip over and cook another 30-seconds to 1 minute. (DON’T WORRY IF THIS ISN’T PERFECT, PERFECTION IS NOT NECESSARY!) Cut into 12 strips.
- Meanwhile, cook sausages according to package instructions. I prefer to make them on the stove, but the microwave works in a pinch as well. Cut sausages in half lengthwise.
- Microwave tortillas for about 30 seconds (COVERED WITH A DAMP PAPER TOWEL)
- Place egg strip at the bottom of tortilla and top with 2 pieces of sausage. Top with shredded cheddar cheese. Roll up tightly and secure with a toothpick.
- Spray or brush with oil and air fry at 400 degrees F for 7 minutes.
- If you prefer to bake the taquitos, bake at 425 degrees F for 15-20 minutes, until breakfast taquito is golden brown.
Keywords: breakfast taquitos, breakfast taquitos recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!