You’ll love this sausage breakfast burrito recipe that will power you through busy days with cheesy layers of hash browns, turkey sausage, and scrambled eggs. YUM! These egg and potato breakfast burritos are a great make-ahead or meal prep breakfast that can be frozen and then reheated quickly when you’re ready for them. (Double the recipe and you’ll have 12 breakfast burritos ready to grab-and-go!) Serve them up with a lavender latte or sweet cream cold foam for a balanced breakfast.
While they are a traditional breakfast burrito, they are delicious any time of day and definitely work for a breakfast for dinner meal!
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
Table of Contents
- What is a breakfast burrito made of?
- What You’ll Love About Potato Breakfast Burritos
- Sausage and Potato Breakfast Burrito VIDEO
- Breakfast Burrito Ingredients
- How to Make Sausage and Potato Breakfast Burrito
- Topping Ideas
- Storage Instructions
- How to Serve Breakfast Burritos to the Whole Family
- What to Serve with Breakfast Burritos
- More Easy Breakfast Recipes
- It’s 5pm. Are you still wondering what’s for dinner?
This homemade breakfast burrito recipe is sponsored by Jones Dairy Farm. I’m excited to partner with them more in 2022, especially because we use their products every single week. (If you’ve ever seen my Costco hauls, you’ve seen me recommend their sausages in BULK!)
Today features one of our favorites – Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Golden Brown Turkey Sausage Patties. This breakfast sausage is fully cooked, for fast and easy preparation and is made without binders or fillers (aka it tastes great). It’s also Certified Gluten-Free and allergen friendly, which is especially helpful for families that need to pay close attention to ingredients and allergens.
What is a breakfast burrito made of?
There are a number of ingredients to use in breakfast burritos, but eggs are obviously a staple (hence the breakfast title) and potatoes and typical breakfast meats are also common additions.
What You’ll Love About Potato Breakfast Burritos
- Easy to make
- Just 5 minutes prep time
- Just 25 minutes total time
- Great meal any time of day
- Made with simple ingredients
- Great prep-ahead breakfast
Sausage and Potato Breakfast Burrito VIDEO
Breakfast Burrito Ingredients
This easy sausage breakfast burrito recipe is made with simple ingredients:
- Vegetable oil – I use avocado oil, but any vegetable oil or butter will work.
- Hash browns – I recommend using shredded hash browns to make this easy, but you could also shred your own if desired.
- Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Golden Brown Turkey Sausage Patties – These sausage patties add amazing flavor and protein to the burritos. Dice them up before cooking with the eggs.
- Butter – Butter is optional if you need it to cook the eggs.
- Eggs – Use high quality eggs for best flavor. You can also use egg whites if you prefer.
- Tortillas – Look for large burrito-sized flour tortillas.
- Shredded cheese – Use a cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend.
- Optional toppings – Sour cream, pico de gallo, avocado, cilantro, hot sauce, etc. (See more ideas below!)
How to Make Sausage and Potato Breakfast Burrito
Let’s get to this sausage egg and cheese breakfast burrito recipe! Full instructions can be found below in the recipe card, but here’s an overview:
- Cook potatoes. Heat oil in a large skillet or nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add hash browns in an even layer and gently flatten with a spatula. Cook until golden brown and transfer to a bowl.
- Cook diced sausage. Wipe out pan, and cook turkey sausage for 4-6 minutes, until lightly browned and heated through.
- Scramble eggs. Add butter to pan if necessary, and pour in eggs. Season with salt and black pepper and gently stir to scramble and cook just until set.
- Assemble burritos. Place a spoonful of hash browns, sausage and egg mixture, and shredded cheese and roll. Fold up sides to seal.
- Cook burritos. Toast burritos seam-side down in a hot skillet until golden brown. Flip and cook on other side.
- Freeze burritos. If you are freezing them for later, let them cool completely and wrap tightly with aluminum foil. Store in freezer bags or stasher bags.
Just like my steak quesadillas, I love putting out a variety of toppings. Here are some sausage and potato breakfast burrito topping ideas:
- Corn Salsa (Chipotle Copycat)
- Thinly sliced lettuce
- Sliced grape tomatoes
- Chopped red onion
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Pickled jalapeño peppers
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream
- Diced avocado
- Lime juice
This recipe for breakfast burrito with sausage is best fresh, but you can also store it in the fridge for up to a day.
How to reheat
Reheat gently in microwave and then toast in a skillet for best results.
How to freeze for later
This is the perfect breakfast burrito recipe for freezing! Let burritos cool completely and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Label (unless you have a better memory than me, HA!) and store in freezer bags or stasher bags for up to a month.
To reheat: Unwrap burrito from foil and wrap loosely with a damp paper towel. Place on a microwave safe plate and heat for 2-3 minutes, until hot throughout.
How to Serve Breakfast Burritos to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in. 😉
For a meal like this, I would let everyone make their own breakfast burrito so they can put in their fillings of choice. And if they just add cheese, that’s totally fine.
What to Serve with Breakfast Burritos
This healthy breakfast burrito recipe doesn’t need much, but if you want to serve it with a side, here are a few ideas:
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
If you like these easy breakfast burritos with potatoes, you might also like some of these other easy breakfast recipes:
- Breakfast Taquitos
- Apple Muffins
- Breakfast for Dinner Ideas
- Salmon Lox and Bagels
- Mini Frittatas with Ham and Cheese
It’s 5pm. Are you still wondering what’s for dinner?
Menu Plans by My Everyday Table can help you out.
The plan addresses three major issues when it comes to weeknight dinners: having a plan, time, and one family meal.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and feel calm when 5pm hits because your dinner is already planned.
This EASY, 5-minute prep sausage and potato breakfast burrito recipe is perfect to make ahead and freeze for busy mornings.
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded potato hash browns
- 6 Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Golden Brown Turkey Sausage Patties, diced
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 6 eggs, whisked
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 6 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- sour cream
- pico de gallo
- hot sauce
- In a large nonstick fry pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add hash browns in an even layer and gently flatten with spatula so they cover the pan. Portion into 4 sections with a spatula so it’s easier to flip them. Let cook, undisturbed for 4-5 minutes. Flip over (best you can, no need for perfection) and cook for another 3-4 minutes until browned. Set aside on a plate covered with foil to keep warm.
- Wipe out pan if necessary and cook sausage for 4-6 minutes, until browned. Lower heat to low and pour whisked eggs into sausage and gently scramble by stirring occasionally. Season with sea salt and cook until set, about 2-3 minutes.
- Assemble burritos. Lay out tortillas on a flat surface and place a layer of hash browns on the bottom third of burrito. Top with sausage and egg mixture, then a sprinkle of cheese. Roll burrito up, folding in the sides. Place seam side down and repeat with remaining tortillas and fillings.
- Cook burritos. Heat fry pan or griddle over medium heat. Cook burritos, seam side down first, for about 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Freeze: Wrap burritos tightly in foil and place in a freezer bag. Freeze for 1-2 months. To reheat: Unwrap burrito from foil and wrap loosely with a damp paper towel. Place on a microwave safe plate and heat for 2-3 minutes, until hot throughout. Cooking time will vary by microwave.
Keywords: potato breakfast burrito, sausage breakfast burrito recipe, breakfast burrito recipe freezer
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!