This chicken fajita quesadilla is my new favorite dinner (and lunch when there are leftovers) and I think you’ll love it as much as me! Made up of simple ingredients, this quesadilla fajita is incredibly flavorful, includes all the components you need in a meal (protein, produce, carbs, and flavor), and comes together in less than 30 minutes – it’s the perfect weeknight dinner meal. Serve with creamy jalapeño sauce if you want to be extra. 🙂 I loved this meal so much that I also created a similar version – buffalo chicken quesadilla. DO IT!!!
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
- What is a fajita quesadilla?
- Chicken Fajita Quesadilla Video
- What You'll Love About Fajita Quesadillas
- How to Make Chicken Fajita Quesadillas
What is a fajita quesadilla?
This fajita quesadillas recipe is simple, we’re combining traditional chicken fajitas (chicken, pepper, onion) with a cheesy quesadilla for a filling, easy, and super delicious meal.
My black bean quesarito is another mashup of two favorites – a quesadilla and a burrito and you should make it. 🙂
Chicken Fajita Quesadilla Video
What You’ll Love About Fajita Quesadillas
- Great flavors
- Satisfying and balanced meal
- Includes veggies, protein, and carbs
- Just 10 minutes prep time
- Just 30 minutes total time
- Made with simple ingredients
- Onion – The recipe calls for white onion, but you could use yellow onion or red onion and all would taste great.
- Bell peppers – I’ve used green bell pepper but you could also use red, yellow, or orange bell peppers.
- Chicken – The recipe calls for chicken breast, but you could also use chicken thighs (boneless, skinless) if you prefer.
- Spices – Sea salt, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper
- Oil – Use your favorite vegetable oil like canola or avocado oil.
- Tortillas – I recommend using flour tortillas (burrito sized!), but you could also use smaller corn tortillas, or a low-carb or gluten-free tortilla if necessary.
- Cheese – I highly recommend using queso asadero or queso Oaxaca for the best flavor, but you can also use shredded cheddar or Pepper jack cheese.
- Fresh toppings – Serve your quesadillas with a variety of fresh toppings like lettuce, salsa, sour cream, etc.
How to Make Chicken Fajita Quesadillas
This is an overview on how to make chicken fajita quesadillas, the detailed instructions can be found below in the recipe card.
Fajita vs quesadilla – What’s the difference?
Fajitas are a Tex-Mex dish that is traditionally features pepper and onion strips along with a protein, traditionally skirt steak, served in tortillas. A quesadilla has a tortilla with a melted, cheesy filling and sometimes includes a protein.
How many calories in fajita quesadilla?
The calories in fajita quesadillas will vary based on ingredients and amounts used, but you can find the detailed estimate of nutrition facts below the recipe card.
Store leftover fajita quesadillas in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat quesadillas in a 350 degrees F oven or a hot skillet until heated through.
What to Serve with Quesadillas Fajita
I like to think of this fajita quesadilla recipe as a whole meal in one, but you an absolutely add a side or two to round out the meal. Here are a few favorites:
- Corn Black Bean Avocado Salad
- Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- Tortilla chips and salsa
- Raw veggies and dip or ranch
- Fresh fruit
How to Feed Fajita Chicken Quesadillas to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in.
I would recommend letting everyone build their own quesadillas so they can include or leave out the items. Serve the meal with a few items you know your kids will eat, like refried beans, fruit, or bread and butter if they don’t do tortillas.
More Easy Chicken Dinners
If you like this chicken fajita quesadilla recipe, you might also like some of these other easy chicken dinners:
- Crispy Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Fajita Chicken and Rice Burrito
- Chicken and Broccoli Ziti with Crunchy Breadcrumbs
- Creamy Chicken Ramen Noodles
Let me Meal Plan for you!
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning? It’s time to hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm instead of stressed. Your dinner is planned and your grocery list is made and everything is conveniently delivered to an app so you can print it out, access from your phone, or computer.
This chicken fajita quesadilla recipe is a healthy and totally delicious weeknight meal. It’s made w simple ingredients and ready in 30 minutes.
- 1 white onion
- 1 green pepper
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. avocado oil
- 4 flour tortillas (burrito size)
- 12 oz. shredded Mexican cheese (queso asadero or queso Oaxaca)
- fresh toppings (salsa, shredded lettuce, sour cream)
- Thinly slice onions into half moons. Thinly slice pepper. Thinly slice chicken. Mix together seasonings (sea salt, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, and cayenne) in a small pinch bowl.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions and peppers to skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add chicken to onions and pepper mixture and season with spices. Cook for another 6-8 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Assemble quesadillas. In large skillet over medium heat, layer 1/3 cup shredded cheese on one half of the tortilla. Top with 1 cup chicken fajita mixture and 1/3 cup shredded cheese.
- Fold over top and cook for about 2-3 minutes, and when cheese starts to melt, carefully flip over with large flipper and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Repeat with remaining 3 quesadillas.
- Cut into wedges and serve with toppings.
Keywords: fajita quesadilla, chicken fajita quesadilla, quesadilla fajita
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!