Need a new weeknight dinner? Meet these quick and easy fajita chicken burritos! We’re wrapping up a delicious combination of a fajita-inspired chicken, cheese, rice, and beans for a yummy and filling burrito that the whole family will love. This healthy chicken burrito recipe also comes together in just 15 minutes, making it perfect for weeknight meals.
This recipe for chicken burritos with rice is 100% inspired by Chipotle, so you may recognize a few of the components. I’ve simplified in some ways so that we can get this meal done in 15 minutes as that was mandatory! 🙂 Be sure to try my sheet pan grilled cheese, easy dumpling soup, easy garlic shrimp with couscous, or crispy black bean tortillas next time you need a quick weeknight dinner.
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About Fajita Chicken Burritos
- How to Make Chicken and Rice Burritos
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storage Instructions
- How to Serve this Healthy Chicken Burrito Recipe to the Whole Family
- What to Serve with Fajita Chicken Burritos
- More 15-Minute Dinner Recipes
What You’ll Love About Fajita Chicken Burritos
- It’s a flavorful, but simple chicken burrito recipe
- Easy to customize depending on preferences
- Satisfying meal
- Made with just 10 ingredients plus a few spices
- Ready in 15 minutes
- Great source of protein, fiber, and carbohydrates
You’ll need some basic ingredients to make these chicken fajita burritos. I used a lot of shortcut ingredients to make this a 15-minute recipe, but feel free to use homemade of from-scratch if you prefer.
- Onion – I’ve used red onion as I wanted to base it off of these Chipotle copycat fajita veggies, but you could also use white or yellow onion.
- Pepper – I’ve used green pepper, but you can use any bell pepper here. Orange, yellow, or red would also work well.
- Oil – You’ll want to use a vegetable oil, you can use canola or avocado, whatever your preference is.
- Chicken – We’re using ground chicken for speed. Originally I tested this with chicken breast to be more similar to Chipotle chicken burritos, but the cutting and cooking added too much time. If you prefer chicken breasts or chicken thighs, feel free to use them. Cut them into small, 1″ pieces and cook until cooked through.
- Garlic – Use fresh garlic for best flavor or frozen garlic for a quick shortcut.
- Spices – Sea salt, oregano, cumin
- Lime – Use fresh lime for best flavor.
- Black beans – Use canned black beans for a quick shortcut. Or if you want to amp up the flavor, add my refried black beans.
- Rice – I’ve used a pouch of microwavable rice for the sake of time, but you can also use leftover rice or cook your own (once you use a rice cooker you will never look back!). Use white rice, brown rice, cauliflower rice, or even quinoa.
- Cheese – I’ve used shredded sharp cheddar, but use shredded white cheddar if you can find so it’s just like Chipotle! You could also use shredded pepper jack or your favorite shredded cheese.
- Tortillas – Look for large, burrito-sized flour tortillas or you’ll have issues trying to fit it all in!
- Optional additions – Feel free to add in any other favorite burrito ingredients like shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, salsa, avocado, guacamole, sour cream, fresh lime juice, chopped cilantro, jalapenos, diced tomatoes.
How to Make Chicken and Rice Burritos
Let’s make some chicken and bean burritos!
- Saute onion and peppers. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add diced onion and bell peppers. Cook for a few minutes, until soft.
- Cook chicken. Add chicken and garlic to skillet and season with salt, oregano, and cumin. Cook until chicken is cooked through.
- Prep other ingredients. While chicken is cooking, prepare rice according to package instructions and stir in juice from half of the lime. Rinse black beans and set aside. Cut rest of lime into wedges and serve as an optional addition.
- Assemble chicken rice burrito. Lay out tortilla on a flat surface and place a sprinkle of cheese on bottom third. Top with rice, beans, chicken mixture, any other ingredients and another sprinkle of cheese. Roll up burrito, folding in on the sides.
- Cook burritos. This is optional, but you can place your burrito, seam side down on a hot griddle and cook for a few minutes per side, until burrito is golden brown.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you turn this burrito into a healthy chicken burrito bowl?
Yes, it’s easy to turn these into a chicken burrito bowls, just skip the tortillas. Layer everything over a generous bed of rice.
Can you use ground turkey instead of ground chicken?
Absolutely! You can swap out the ground chicken for ground turkey, just be sure to use lean, not fat-free turkey.
Store leftovers in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat components separately in a hot skillet or microwave, just until warmed through.
How to Serve this Healthy Chicken Burrito Recipe to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in. 😉
This is a great meal to serve family style and let everyone build their own plate. (I do recommend plating food for toddlers so they get exposures to plenty of foods!) You can also serve the meal deconstructed or serve a tiny portion of chicken in a taster bowl with a cheese quesadilla on the side. Serve with some fruit and milk on the side as well and they should have enough to make a meal from, even if it doesn’t look like your burrito.
All of my articles on feeding kids can be found here and if you want a FULL list of all of the videos I have with hacks, tips, scripts, and ideas for feeding kids, check out my instagram or tiktok page.
What to Serve with Fajita Chicken Burritos
These are a satisfying meal on their own, but I like to serve with a side or two – even if it’s just tortilla chips and a quick guacamole. Here are a few ideas:
- Tortilla chips
- Chipotle copycat corn salsa
- Frozen corn – Microwave until hot and season with a little butter, salt, and pepper
More 15-Minute Dinner Recipes
If you like this chicken burrito recipe with rice, you might also like some of these other easy 15-minute dinner recipes:
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning?
Hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm because your dinner is already planned.
Fajita Chicken Burrito Recipe
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
Fast and easy fajita chicken and rice burrito is a perfect weeknight dinner that’s easily customizable for the whole family.
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1 lime
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 pouch of microwavable rice (about 2 cups cooked rice)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 burrito sized tortillas
- optional: shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, avocado, tortilla chips
- Dice onion and peppers.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and add diced onion and diced peppers. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground chicken and garlic to skillet and season with sea salt, oregano, and cumin. Stir and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 5-6 minutes.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare rice according to package instructions and stir in juice fromm half of the lime. Rinse black beans and set aside.
- Assemble burritos. Lay out tortillas on a flat surface and place a sprinkle of cheese on the bottom third of burrito. Top with rice, beans, chicken mixture, and another sprinkle of cheese. Roll burrito up, folding in the sides. Place seam side down and repeat with remaining tortillas and fillings.
- Optional: Cook burritos. Heat fry pan or griddle over medium heat. Cook burritos, seam side down first, for about 2-3 minutes per side, until golden brown and cheese is melted.
Keywords: chicken and rice burrito, fajita chicken burrito, healthy chicken burrito recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!
Did you like this recipe? Please leave a review and let me know what you thought! I appreciate it so much.