This EASY crockpot chicken and salsa makes the best easy and healthy weeknight dinner! Simply season the chicken, top with salsa, and turn on your slow cooker! Then use crockpot salsa chicken in tacos, burrito bowls, quesadillas, salads, chilaquiles, and more.
I created this crockpot salsa chicken for my weeknight dinner club meal plan service because we love super simple recipes that can be turned into delicious and satisfying weeknight dinners that the entire family will love. This one doesn’t disappoint and I can’t wait for you to try it!
How to Make Crockpot Chicken and Salsa:
This crockpot chicken and salsa recipe is quite possibly the EASIEST salsa chicken:
- Prep salsa chicken. Add chicken to slow cooker and season with garlic powder, sea salt, and pepper.
- Cook salsa chicken. Top chicken with salsa and cook in the slow cooker.
TIP: I prefer cooking the chicken at a high temp for a lower cooking time so that it doesn’t completely shred into nothing. I like the crockpot salsa chicken to be tender, but not mushy.
How to Store Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken:
Store this easy salsa chicken in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Can You Freeze Salsa Chicken?
Yes, you can freeze Mexican salsa chicken. Store in a glass or freezer-safe container for 2-3 months.
To use, simply thaw salsa chicken breast overnight in the refrigerator and use as desired.
Crockpot Salsa Chicken Nutrition + Substitutes:
This healthy salsa chicken makes a great base for a nutritious, filling meal! Each hefty serving (you will probably have leftovers) has 219 calories and 39 grams of protein. The full nutrition panel can be found below.
- Chicken Thighs – You can certainly make salsa chicken thighs if desired. (Thighs are one of my favorite cuts, so I get it!) Cook the salsa chicken thighs for 4 hours on high, or until cooked through.
- Salsa – You can also use salsa verde (green salsa) in this slow cooker chicken and salsa recipe. Use whatever salsa is your favorite!
- Spice level – I typically use a medium-heat salsa for recipes like this so that it has a little flavor, but not too much spice for the kids.
What To Serve Salsa Chicken With:
I created this chicken cooked in salsa with some specific meals in mind as it is a cook once, eat twice meal from the weeknight dinner club. Here are the recipes using salsa chicken that I recommend making:
- Baked Cheesy Chicken Tacos – Meal #1! The BEST recipes with salsa chicken. Easy and cheesy, what more do you want in a weeknight dinner?
- Chicken Chilaquiles with Chips – My easy hack for chilaquiles at home! This method is easy and has great results!
- Mexican-Style Cauliflower Rice – I served this as a veggie side for the chicken and salsa tacos and became OBSESSED!
Helpful Tools to Make Crockpot Salsa Chicken Recipe:
- Crock Pot Slow Cooker – Obviously a must for crockpot chicken and salsa! This one is my favorite and it’s less than $60!
- Glass Storage Containers – Store any extra crockpot salsa chicken in glass containers for easy reheating and storage.
- Instant Read Meat Thermometer – I use this tool even when using the slow cooker! It’s the best way to tell when meat is done cooking and totally worth the $15!
The EASIEST crockpot chicken and salsa takes just 2 min to prep and 3 ingredients. Use crockpot salsa chicken in tacos, salad, burrito bowls, and more!
- 3 lbs. chicken breast (skinless, boneless)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder, sea salt, and pepper.
- Top with salsa to cover chicken.
- Place cover on slow cooker and cook on high for 2 1/2-3 hours, or low for 5-6 hours, until chicken is cooked through to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Lightly shred or chop 1/2 of the chicken.
- 8 big servings, but you can definitely stretch it to more.
Keywords: chicken and salsa, crockpot chicken and salsa, salsa chicken