If you need a comforting, delicious, and hearty meal, look no further, because this crock pot beef stew with dumplings is it. It’s everything you want in comfort food – rich flavors, satisfying and not fussy, made with simple ingredients, and feels like a warm hug in a bowl. This crockpot beef tips recipe is a special one, shared with me by a friend and it was one of that her late mother Patty made often, and remains a family favorite. The beef slow cooks in a mushroom gravy until the beef is fork tender.
We gave this slow cooker meal rave reviews and it’s the perfect meal for winter nights so I hope you give it a try soon!
Estimated reading time: 9 minutes
- What You'll Love About Crockpot Beef Tips
- How to Make Crockpot Beef Stew
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with Slow Cooker Beef Tips
- How to Feed Beef Stew with Dumplings to the Whole Family
- Want More?
- More Comfort Food Recipes
- Let me Meal Plan for you!
What You’ll Love About Crockpot Beef Tips
- Ultimate comfort-food meal
- Rich and deep savory flavor
- Satisfying and hearty meal
- Easy recipe for busy weeknights
- Made with basic ingredients you can find at any grocery store
- Just 15 minutes prep time
- Mostly hands off cooking time
- Onion – I recommend using a yellow onion, but a white onion would also work.
- Carrots – I prefer whole carrots, but they will require some peeling so baby carrots are totally fine to use if you prefer.
- Mushrooms – I recommend baby bella mushrooms, but you can also use white button mushrooms if you prefer.
- Garlic – Use whole, fresh garlic cloves here for best results. If you need a shortcut, you could also use frozen garlic cubes.
- Beef tri tips – There are two really great options for this beef stew. You can use steak tips or beef stew meat. Both work really well and because we’re slow cooking this for at least 7 hours, the stew meat ends up being really tender. But if you prefer, tender beef tips are also fantastic.
- Spices – Seasoning salt, black pepper, garlic salt
- Golden mushroom soup – This is a must! This condensed soup has a really elevated flavor (and was new to me!) but it’s perfect in this dish as it imparts a deep and rich beef gravy flavor. It’s made with beef broth, mushrooms and tomato if you need to look for something similar.
- Baking mix – Use a biscuit mix like Bisquick or something similar.
- Milk – Use your favorite milk. You can use a dairy-free alternative if you prefer, just make sure it isn’t sweetened!
- Oil – This is for the dumplings, so use a neutral vegetable oil like canola, avocado, or olive oil.
- Cheese – Use a shredded cheddar cheese. You could also use another type of cheese that melts well.
How to Make Crockpot Beef Stew
This is an overview on how to make beef stew in the crock pot, the detailed instructions can be found below in the recipe card.
Can I put raw beef straight into a slow cooker?
Yes! Some recipes (like my crockpot pulled beef) suggest browning the meat before putting it in the slow cooker, but for this slow cooker beef tips recipe, we are putting them right into the slow cooker raw.
Are beef tips and stew meat the same?
No, beef tips are a different cut of meat than beef stew meat but you can use either for this recipe. I found that both were delicious and as long as you cook the stew meat long enough, it will end up just as tender and flavorful as the beef tips.
Why is my beef so tough in the slow cooker?
The tenderness of beef will vary based on cut and actual pieces, but it often means that it needs extra time in the slow cooker. Cook another 30 minutes to an hour until the texture of the beef is tender and falls apart easily.
When should I add dumplings to slow cooker?
For this beef stew and dumplings, we’ll add the dumplings for the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat crockpot beef tips in the microwave or a hot skillet until heated through.
Can you freeze beef stew with dumplings?
I would not recommend freezing the stew as the texture will change a bit in the freezing/thawing process.
What to Serve with Slow Cooker Beef Tips
This crockpot beef tips recipe is a full meal, but if you want to add an extra veggie on the side, here are a few ideas:
How to Feed Beef Stew with Dumplings to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in.
I would recommend serving the crockpot beef stew in a pinch bowl (taster bowl) if it’s a new or learning-to-like it food. Serve the meal with a few items you know your kids will eat, like fruit, milk, and/or bread and butter.
While the flavors of this beef stew are pretty kid-friendly, it is not abnormal for kids to not like foods mixed together, so it’s understandable if they are a little nervous by this dish!
More Comfort Food Recipes
If you like this beef tips in crockpot recipe, you might also like some of these other comfort food recipes:
Let me Meal Plan for you!
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning? It’s time to hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm instead of stressed. Your dinner is planned and your grocery list is made and everything is conveniently delivered to an app so you can print it out, access from your phone, or computer.
If you need a comforting, delicious, and hearty meal, this crock pot beef stew with dumplings is it. It’s everything you want in comfort food.
For the Beef Stew:
- 1 small yellow onion, cut into wedges
- 16 oz. carrots, peeled and cut into 3-4 inch pieces (approximately)
- 8 oz. sliced baby bella mushrooms (sliced in half or quartered)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 1/2 lbs. beef tri tips or beef stew meat (cut into 3-4 inch pieces)
- 2 tsp. seasoning salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 10.5– oz cans golden mushroom soup
For the Dumplings:
- 2 cups bisquick or similar baking mix
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Prep ingredients:
Peel and cut onion into wedges.
Peel and cut carrots into 4-inch pieces.
Clean and slice mushrooms.
Smash garlic, but don’t chop.
Cut beef roast into 3-4 inch pieces if necessary. Season all sides of the meat with seasoning salt and black pepper.
- Place onion, carrots, mushrooms and garlic into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Top veggies with beef pieces and pour soup over the top to cover everything. Lightly stir.
- Cover and cook on Low for 7-9 hours, until beef is tender.
- A half hour before serving, mix together biscuits. In a medium bowl, stir together bisquick mix, garlic salt, milk, vegetable oil, and shredded cheese together until combined.
- Spoon dumplings (1/4 cup of mixture at a time) over the top of the stew, right into the slow cooker. Place the cover of the slow cooker back on and cook on High for 1/2 hour, until biscuits are set.
- Serve stew and biscuits in a bowl.
- This recipe is very forgiving, so you can use beef stew meat or tri tips and both work wonderfully.
- The golden mushroom soup creates a really delicious gravy for the stew and should be easy to find at most grocery stores. You can also order it here.
Keywords: crockpot beef tips, beef tips recipe, beef tips in crock pot, crock pot beef stew, beef stew with dumplings
Food styling and photography by Loren Runion.
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!