This crockpot chicken and potatoes recipe is a cozy, comforting meal that has great flavor and perfectly juicy chicken thighs. Making your chicken and potatoes in a crock pot is great because you can do all the prep in just 10 minutes and then let the slow cooker do all the work. (And your house will smell SO good!) Simply mix up the rotisserie chicken seasoning mix (same one I’ve used in crockpot chicken and rice), sear the chicken thighs, and add everything to the slow cooker. It couldn’t be easier! Keep reading to learn how to make crock pot chicken thighs and potatoes, FAQs, and ideas for what to serve on the side. It’s a cozy, comforting meal that the whole family will love.
While this crock pot bone in chicken and potatoes recipe is a fall staple, be sure to also try my 4-ingredient crockpot chicken and gravy, crock pot salsa chicken, crock pot butter chicken, crock pot buffalo chicken, or air fryer split chicken breast next time.
Estimated reading time: 9 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About Crock Pot Chicken and Potatoes Recipe
- Crock Pot Chicken with Potatoes Ingredients
- How to Cook Chicken Thighs in a Crock Pot
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storage Instructions
- How to Serve Chicken and Potatoes in a Crock Pot to the Whole Family
- Substitutes + Nutrition
- What to Serve with Crock Pot Chicken and Potatoes
- More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- It’s 5pm. Are you still wondering what’s for dinner?
- Helpful Tools to Make Crock Pot Chicken Thighs and Potatoes
What You’ll Love About Crock Pot Chicken and Potatoes Recipe
- Cozy, comforting, and nutritious
- Takes just 10 minutes to prep
- Made with simple ingredients
- Balanced meal, just add a veggie side
- Tender, juicy chicken thighs
Crock Pot Chicken with Potatoes Ingredients
You’ll need just two ingredients, plus some pantry staples and spices to make these crockpot chicken and potatoes:
- Spices – Sea salt, dried thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper
- Chicken thighs – Use bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs for maximum flavor.
- Olive oil
- Potatoes – You can use a baby potato like golden yukon or red potatoes or even russet potatoes, cut into pieces.
How to Cook Chicken Thighs in a Crock Pot
This simple slow cooker chicken and potatoes recipe takes just 10 minutes to prep! Here’s how to make it:
- Mix up seasoning. Stir together sea salt, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Sear chicken thighs. Season chicken thighs with sea salt and pepper and sear chicken thighs for about 2-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
TIP: Cook in batches if necessary.
- Season potatoes. Add potatoes to slow cooker and dot with butter. Sprinkle with half of the dried seasoning mixture.
- Add chicken thighs in crock pot. Add chicken thighs over the potatoes (skin side up) and pour any leftover juices from the pan. Sprinkle with remaining chicken seasoning mix.
- Cook chicken and potatoes. Cover crock pot and cook chicken and potatoes for 3 hours on High or 6 hours on Low.
- Serve. Serve easy crock pot chicken and potatoes dish with a simple green salad, or a simple vegetable side. (More ideas below)
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you keep chicken from falling apart in a slow cooker?
The best way to keep chicken from falling apart in the slow cooker is to give it a quick sear before you cook it, which we do before placing the chicken thighs into the slow cooker.
You also want to make sure that you don’t overcook the chicken as that will also cause it to fall apart completely.
Is it better to cook chicken on high or low in crock pot?
It depends what kind of chicken you are cooking. If you’re cooking boneless, skinless chicken breasts (aka super lean cut), cooking on high or for too long will dry it out.
Because we’re using skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs for this recipe and keeping the cooking time short, cooking it on high won’t dry out these thighs and they’ll still be nice and juicy.
How long to cook crock pot chicken thighs on high?
Cooking the chicken thighs in the crock pot will take 3-4 hours on High heat.
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat crock pot chicken and potatoes in a 350 degrees F oven for best results or reheat in the microwave.
Can you freeze slow cooker chicken thighs and potatoes?
Yes, you could also store any leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for 2-3 months.
How to Serve Chicken and Potatoes in a Crock Pot to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in. 😉
If you don’t think your kids will like this meal, be sure to include 1-2 items you know they will eat with the meal. Serve the chicken and potatoes with dips like bbq sauce, ranch, ketchup, etc. if it will help!
Substitutes + Nutrition
If you want to swap out any of the ingredients and toppings, here are a few ways you can add even more nutrition into this meal:
- Serve with a green vegetable – Serve up the easy crock pot chicken and potatoes with an everyday side salad, 5-minute veggie chopped salad, easiest haricots verts, sautéed frozen peas, or napa cabbage slaw.
- Dairy-Free – Swap the butter for your favorite vegan and/or dairy-free butter alternative for a dairy-free meal.
- Gluten-Free – This easy crock pot chicken and potatoes recipe is naturally gluten-free.
What to Serve with Crock Pot Chicken and Potatoes
Serve up this crock pot chicken thighs and potatoes meal with a green veggie side:
- Haricots Verts or green beans
- Kale Apple Slaw
- Napa Cabbage Slaw
- Lemon Arugula Salad
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- 5-Minute Frozen Peas
More Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
If you like this crock pot chicken and potatoes recipe, you might also like these other crockpot chicken recipes:
- Pulled Buffalo Chicken
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff
It’s 5pm. Are you still wondering what’s for dinner?
Menu Plans by My Everyday Table can help you out.
The plan addresses three major issues when it comes to weeknight dinners: having a plan, time, and one family meal.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and feel calm when 5pm hits because your dinner is already planned.
Helpful Tools to Make Crock Pot Chicken Thighs and Potatoes
- Crock Pot Slow Cooker – This basic version won’t break the bank, but it does everything you need it to do and has a timer to switch to warm when the crock pot chicken thighs and potatoes are done cooking.
- Cast Iron Skillet – Before you cook the chicken thighs in crockpot, sear them in a cast iron skillet for the best flavor.
- Instant Read Meat Thermometer – The best way to tell when your crockpot chicken thighs recipe is done cooking.
The BEST crockpot chicken and potatoes recipe! Just 10 minutes to prep and perfectly juicy chicken thighs with flavorful, tender potatoes.
- 2 tsp. sea salt, divided
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper, divided
- 2 1/2 lbs. chicken thighs (about 6 skin-on, bone-in thighs)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 lbs. small-medium golden yukon or red potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Prep ingredients:
Mix together chicken seasoning. In a small bowl, stir together 1 teaspoon sea salt, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
Season chicken on both sides with remaining 1 teaspoon sea salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
Place potatoes in the bottom of 6 qt. slow cooker. (Cut in half if necessary, if they are bigger than 4-5 inches long)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sear chicken, skin side down first for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Cook in batches if necessary.
- While chicken is searing, dot butter over potatoes and sprinkle with ½ of the dried seasoning mix.
- Add chicken and any juices from the pan over the potatoes in a single layer (skin side up) and sprinkle with remaining chicken seasoning mix.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 591
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 960.1 mg
- Fat: 38.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 25.6 g
- Fiber: 2.9 g
- Protein: 35 g
- Cholesterol: 199.3 mg
Keywords: crockpot chicken and potatoes, chicken and potatoes in a crock pot, crock pot chicken and potatoes recipe, crock pot chicken with potatoes, crock pot chicken thighs and potatoes
Photo Credit: All photos in this post were take by Loren at Sweet Rustic Bakes
Videos by Tried and Tasty.
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!