This crockpot chicken and potatoes recipe is a cozy, comforting meal that has great flavor and perfectly juicy chicken thighs. Making your chicken and potatoes in a crock pot is great because you can do all the prep in just 10 minutes and then let the slow cooker do all the work. (And your house will smell SO good!) Simply mix up the rotisserie chicken seasoning mix, sear the chicken thighs, and add everything to the slow cooker. It couldn’t be easier! Keep reading to learn how to make crock pot chicken thighs and potatoes, FAQs, and ideas for what to serve on the side.
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of Contents
- How to Cook Chicken Thighs in a Crock Pot
- Crock Pot Chicken with Potatoes FAQs
- How to Store Leftover Crock Pot Chicken and Potatoes
- How to Serve Chicken and Potatoes to the Whole Family
- Crock Pot Chicken Thighs and Potatoes Nutrition + Substitutes
- More Simple Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
- Helpful Tools to Make Chicken and Potatoes in a Crock Pot
- Pin this crock pot chicken and potatoes recipe for later!
How to Cook Chicken Thighs in a Crock Pot
This simple crock pot chicken and potatoes recipe takes just 10 minutes to prep! Here’s how to make it:
- Mix up seasoning. Stir together sea salt, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and black pepper.
- Sear chicken thighs. Season chicken thighs with sea salt and pepper and sear chicken thighs for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown.
TIP: Cook in batches if necessary.
- Place potatoes and chicken thighs in crock pot. Add potatoes to slow cooker and dot with butter. Sprinkle with half of the dried seasoning. Add chicken thighs over the potatoes (skin side up) and drizzle with any leftover juices from the pan. Sprinkle with remaining chicken seasoning mix.
- Cook chicken and potatoes. Cover crock pot and cook chicken and potatoes for 3 hours on High or 6 hours on Low.
- Serve. Serve easy crock pot chicken and potatoes with a simple green salad, or a simple vegetable side.
Crock Pot Chicken with Potatoes FAQs
How do you keep chicken from falling apart in a slow cooker?
The best way to keep chicken from falling apart in the slow cooker is to give it a quick sear before you cook it, which we do before placing the chicken thighs into the slow cooker.
You also want to make sure that you don’t overcook the chicken as that will also cause it to fall apart completely.
Is it better to cook chicken on high or low in crock pot?
It depends what kind of chicken you are cooking. If you’re cooking boneless, skinless chicken breasts (aka super lean cut), cooking on high or for too long will dry it out.
Because we’re using skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs for this recipe and keeping the cooking time short, cooking it on high won’t dry out these thighs and they’ll still be nice and juicy.
How long to cook crock pot chicken thighs on high?
Cooking the chicken thighs in the crock pot will take 3-4 hours on High heat.
How to Store Leftover Crock Pot Chicken and Potatoes
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Reheat crock pot chicken and potatoes in a 350 degrees F oven for best results or reheat in the microwave.
How to Serve Chicken and Potatoes to the Whole Family
This recipe for crock pot chicken and potatoes is a great family-friendly weeknight dinner. If you’re transitioning to one family meal, watch this video or sign up for my free series that will help you navigate feeding kids.
Crock Pot Chicken Thighs and Potatoes Nutrition + Substitutes
If you want to swap out any of the ingredients and toppings, here are a few ways you can add even more nutrition into this meal:
- Serve with a green vegetable – Serve up the easy crock pot chicken and potatoes with an everyday side salad, 5-minute veggie chopped salad, easiest haricots verts, sautéed frozen peas, or napa cabbage slaw.
- Dairy-Free – Swap the butter for your favorite vegan and/or dairy-free butter alternative for a dairy-free meal.
- Gluten-Free – This easy crock pot chicken and potatoes recipe is naturally gluten-free.
More Simple Slow Cooker Chicken Recipes
If you like this crock pot chicken and potatoes recipe, you might also like these other simple slow cooker chicken recipes:
- Crock Pot Chipotle Chicken – Use the use your chipotle BBQ chicken for delish sandwiches, complete with melted cheese + creamy avocado. And THEN, turn your slow cooker chipotle chicken into chicken enchilada pasta. It’s a cook once, eat twice meal that will maximize your time in the kitchen.
- Easiest Crock Pot Chicken Salsa – Just 2 ingredients to make this salsa chicken, then use it to make baked chicken tacos and cheater chilaquiles.
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken – This recipe is made with simple ingredients and take just 10 minutes to prep, but it’s got ALL the flavor you would expect from a traditional butter chicken. Serve with 5-minute sautéed frozen peas.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls – Just 15 minutes to prep and then everyone can add their own toppings to customize their burrito bowls.
Helpful Tools to Make Chicken and Potatoes in a Crock Pot
- Crock Pot Slow Cooker – This basic version won’t break the bank, but it does everything you need it to do and has a timer to switch to warm when the crock pot chicken thighs and potatoes are done cooking.
- Cast Iron Skillet – Before you cook the chicken thighs in crockpot, sear them in a cast iron skillet for the best flavor.
- Instant Read Meat Thermometer – The best way to tell when your crockpot chicken thighs recipe is done cooking.
The BEST crockpot chicken and potatoes recipe! Just 10 minutes to prep and perfectly juicy chicken thighs with flavorful, tender potatoes.
- Prep ingredients:
Mix together chicken seasoning. In a small bowl, stir together 1 teaspoon sea salt, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
Season chicken on both sides with remaining 1 teaspoon sea salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
Place potatoes in the bottom of 6 qt. slow cooker. (Cut in half if necessary, if they are bigger than 4-5 inches long)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Sear chicken, skin side down first for about 2-3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Cook in batches if necessary.
- While chicken is searing, dot butter over potatoes and sprinkle with ½ of the dried seasoning mix.
- Add chicken and any juices from the pan over the potatoes in a single layer (skin side up) and sprinkle with remaining chicken seasoning mix.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Keywords: crockpot chicken and potatoes, chicken and potatoes in a crock pot, crock pot chicken and potatoes recipe, crock pot chicken with potatoes, crock pot chicken thighs and potatoes
Videos + photos by Tried and Tasty.