This EASY chicken taco soup recipe is everything you look for in a weeknight dinner. I love creating soups with my favorite top-secret (not really) soup ingredient – marinara sauce! The marinara sauce imparts major flavor in a minimal amount of time, and that is one of my big shortcuts when it comes to weeknight dinners (and the weeknight dinner club for that matter!). So this Mexican chicken soup uses marinara? Yes. Same flavor, and have no fear, so long as you don’t use an overly Italian flavored marinara like basil or Italian sausage.
And before you serve this up for an easy weeknight dinner, want to know my top-secret-that-I’m-sure-you-know trick to get kids to eaat and love this Mexican chicken soup recipe? TORTILLA CHIPS. All of the tortilla chips. And I feel totally fine about that.
How to Make Easy Chicken Taco Soup:
This chicken taco soup stove top recipe is easy PEASY! My friend Taylor has an Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup, that’s also fantastic, and totally where the inspiration for this recipe came from. Here’s how we make this Mexican chicken soup:
- Prep your ingredients. This is the way I like to start each and every recipe, getting it all prepped and ready-to-go. Dice the onion and cut the chicken. The chicken can be done with kitchen shears or a sharp knife – whichever is easier for you.
- Brown the onions and chicken. In a large, heavy bottomed pot, brown onions and chicken.
- Add flavor. Add the taco seasoning to the chicken and stir until it’s all coated.
- Simmer everything together. Stir in chicken broth, marinara sauce, black beans, and corn. Let it simmer.
- Prep toppings. While the chicken taco soup recipe is bubbling, prep your toppings. I love to serve them up on a platter and serve them family-style to let everyone add their own.
How to Store Chicken Taco Soup Recipe:
This easy chicken taco soup should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop until heated through.
You can also freeze this Mexican chicken soup for 2-3 months. Store in a freezer container or plastic bag, thaw overnight, and reheat in the microwave or stovetop until hot.
Mexican Chicken Soup Nutrition + Substitutes:
Wondering about Mexican chicken soup calories? The full nutrition stats can be found below, but each satisfying serving has about 570 calories + a whooping 19 grams of fiber and 20 grams of protein.
If you want to swap out any of the ingredients and toppings, here are a few ways you can add even more nutrition into this meal:
- Add more veggies! (This is one of my common suggestions for every single recipe, but what do you expect?!) Add diced zucchini or green pepper for more green and more nutrition.
- Swap out sour cream and cheese for dairy-free alternatives if you’re dairy-free.
- Skip the chips. The nutrition facts for this chicken taco soup recipe include 1 oz. of tortilla chips (that’s one serving!) per serving, but you can skip them or use them as more of a garnish.
Get Your Kids Involved – Healthy Chicken Taco Soup:
There are so many ways to get your kids involved in cooking this quick and easy chicken taco soup.
They can: measure corn, help prepare and arrange toppings on a platter.
What to Serve with Chicken Taco Soup:
I love to serve this one pot chicken taco soup with a ton of toppings! Really any type of Mexican toppings goes, but here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Shredded cheddar or Mexican-style cheese
- Sour cream
- Diced avocado
- Sliced onion
- Lime wedges
- Sliced jalapenos
- Chopped cilantro
- Tortilla chips
More Easy Soup Recipes:
So, if you’ve ever tried any of my other soup recipes, you know I’m a tad obsessed with the marinara trick! Not only does it impart major flavor without all of the simmering time, but it also gives each bite of soup rich tomato flavor that’s to die for!
- Homemade Chili – Because of the top-secret 😉 marinara trick, this chili is ready to eat in just 30 minutes.
- Easy Minestrone – Looking for a tasty way to eat veggies? Vegetarian, flavorful, and chock FULL of veggies.
- Lasagna Soup – Like lasagna. But easier. And just as delicious. You need this one in your life!
Helpful Tools to Make Mexican Style Chicken Soup:
- Kids Knife – Have your kids help to chop the avocado and any other soft toppings for the chicken taco soup recipe.
- Glass Storage Containers – Store any leftover simple chicken taco soup in these glass containers, you can reheat them right in the microwave and they won’t stain!
- Dutch Oven – A heavy bottom pot is great for browning and simmering this chicken taco soup recipe.
This EASY chicken taco soup recipe utilizes my FAVORITE (secret) soup ingredient! Make this Mexican chicken soup in just 30 mins + serve w/ fresh toppings!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb. chicken breast tenders
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 24 oz. marinara sauce (not Italian or basil)
- 4 cups chicken broth (or veggie)
- 15 oz. can black beans (rinsed)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- sliced green onions
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- lime wedges
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced
- 6 oz. tortilla chips
- Prepare ingredients:
Cut chicken into 1″ pieces.
- Heat oil in heavy-bottom pan over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan, saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken to pot, season with salt and pepper and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Stir in taco seasoning and stir to coat the chicken.
- Pour in marinara sauce, chicken broth, and bring to a boil.
- Stir in beans and corn and lower heat to low and gentle simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep toppings: slice green onions, cut lime into wedges, chop cilantro, dice avocado.
- Serve soup with toppings as desired.
Get your kids involved! They can: measure corn, arrange toppings on a platter.
Keywords: Mexican chicken soup, chicken taco soup recipe