You’ll love this shrimp quesadilla recipe! This quesadilla with shrimp has cheesy layers, slightly spiced shrimp, and a crispy tortilla to hold it all together. Serve the shrimp quesadillas with and a side of refried black beans a lot of fresh toppings at the table (don’t forget the quesadilla sauce and esquites) and let everyone top their own.
Love quesadillas? (Who doesn’t, they are an amazing 20 minute meal!) Be sure to try my ground beef quesadillas, chicken fajita quesadillas, black bean quesadillas, steak quesadillas, air fryer quesadillas, black bean quesarito, or buffalo chicken quesadillas next time.
Estimated reading time: 9 minutes
- What You'll Love About Shrimp Quesadillas
- Shrimp Quesadilla VIDEO
- How to Make Shrimp Quesadillas
- Topping Ideas for Quesadillas with Shrimp
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with Shrimp Quesadilla Recipe
- How to Feed Shrimp Quesadillas to the Whole Family
- More Easy Shrimp Recipes
- Want More?
- Let me Meal Plan for you!
What You’ll Love About Shrimp Quesadillas
- Flavorful and lightly spiced tender shrimp
- Cheesy layers
- Easy to make
- Filling and balanced meal
- Made with simple ingredients
- Just 5 minutes prep time
- Just 20 minutes total time
Shrimp Quesadilla VIDEO
- Tortillas – I’ve used flour tortillas as they are classic in shrimp quesadilla recipes, but you could also use corn, whole wheat, sprouted, or your favorite grain-free or low-carb tortilla if you prefer.
- Cheese – We’re using pre-shredded cheese for a shortcut, but you can also shred your own. Use a quesadilla cheese, Mexican cheese blend (that will melt!), cheddar cheese, or Monterey jack cheese.
- Oil – Use a vegetable oil. You can use avocado oil, canola oil, etc.
- Shrimp – Use raw shrimp that have the peels and tail removed. We are chopping up the shrimp, so you can buy smaller shrimp and save on your grocery bill a bit.
- Spices – Sea salt, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper. If you don’t like spice you can omit the cayenne pepper and if you love spice, add more.
- Honey – This adds a nice slightly sweet flavor to the shrimp, but you can also omit it if you prefer.
How to Make Shrimp Quesadillas
This is an overview on how to make shrimp quesadillas, the detailed instructions can be found below in the recipe card.
Topping Ideas for Quesadillas with Shrimp
Put out a spread of fresh toppings for your shrimp quesadillas and let everyone go to town!
- Corn salsa (Chipotle Copycat)
- Sautéed bell peppers and onions
- Corn and black bean salsa
- Quesadilla sauce
- Thinly sliced lettuce
- Sliced grape tomatoes
- Chopped red onion
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Pickled jalapeño peppers
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream
- Diced avocado
- Lime juice
What goes well with shrimp quesadillas?
I think serving quesadillas with a variety of fresh toppings is key! So at a minimum, lettuce, pico de gallo or salsa, sour cream, and pickled jalapenos. As for sidese, we love these refried black beans and elote in a cup but if we’re short on time, a can of refried beans and a frozen bag of corn works too!
What is a shrimp quesadilla made of?
This quesadilla with shrimp is made up of a lightly-spiced shrimp and plenty of cheese, all wrapped up in a tortilla.
How do you make quesadillas not soggy?
There are two ways to ensure your quesadilla isn’t soggy. Make sure that you are draining any liquid from the filling (the shrimp mixture here) and then toast the quesadilla it in a skillet instead of cooking it in the microwave.
Quesadillas are best eaten immediately, but store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat this shrimp and cheese quesadilla in a hot skillet for best results.
Can you freeze quesadillas?
Yes, you can freeze quesadillas in an airtight container (like stasher bags) for 2-3 months.
What to Serve with Shrimp Quesadilla Recipe
Serve the quesadillas with fresh toppings (see ideas above) and then a side dish or two:
- Elote in a Cup
- Corn Salsa
- Refried Black Beans
- Simple Side Salad
- Frozen Corn – heated in microwave or skillet
How to Feed Shrimp Quesadillas to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in.
My kids still don’t necessarily love quesadillas with anything other than the cheese (except for the ground beef quesadillas!), so I will usually ask if they want them plain or with shrimp and offer some of the shrimp mixture on the side if they want. And then let them add the toppings as desired. As always, serve the meal with a few items you know your kids will eat, like fruit, milk, and/or bread and butter if they don’t do tortillas.
More Easy Shrimp Recipes
If you like this easy shrimp quesadilla recipe, you might also like some of these other easy shrimp recipes:
- Moo Shu Shrimp
- General Tso’s Shrimp
- Old Bay Shrimp Boil
- Buffalo Shrimp
- 15-Minute Garlic Shrimp with Couscous
Let me Meal Plan for you!
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning? It’s time to hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm instead of stressed. Your dinner is planned and your grocery list is made and everything is conveniently delivered to an app so you can print it out, access from your phone, or computer.
This FAST and EASY shrimp quesadilla recipe is made with simple ingredients and comes together in just 20 minutes. Let everyone top their own shrimp quesadillas!
For spiced shrimp:
- 1 tsp. avocado oil
- 16 oz. raw shrimp, roughly chopped (shells and tails removed)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/8 tsp. smoked paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 4 flour tortillas (burrito size)
- 12 oz. shredded Mexican cheese (more if needed)
- fresh toppings (see a big list of topping ideas above in the post)
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and season with sea salt, cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and honey and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until shrimp is cooked through.
- Assemble quesadillas. In large skillet over medium heat, layer 1/3 cup shredded cheese on one half of the tortilla. Top with 1/2 cup shrimp and 1/3 cup shredded cheese.
- Fold over top and cook for about 2-3 minutes, and when cheese starts to melt, carefully flip over with large flipper and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Repeat with remaining 3 quesadillas.
- Cut into wedges and serve with toppings.
- See shrimp quesadilla topping list above
Keywords: shrimp quesadilla, shrimp quesadilla recipe, quesadilla with shrimp, shrimp quesadillas
Food styling and photography by Loren Runion.
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!