This creamy chicken noodle soup recipe is the best cozy comfort food meal you’ll want to eat all fall and winter! Classic chicken noodle soup gets a few creamy flavor upgrades and it’s all served over dumpling noodles for the comfort of a chicken noodle soup, but a little elevated. It’s easy to make, made with simple ingredients, and will warm you right up.
Estimated reading time: 9 minutes
- What You'll Love About Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- How to Make Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with Creamy Chicken and Noodle Soup
- How to Feed Creamy Chicken Soup with Noodles to the Whole Family
- Want More?
- More Easy Soup Recipes
- Let me Meal Plan for you!
What You’ll Love About Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Rich flavors
- Smooth and creamy texture
- Satisfying meal in a bowl
- Made with simple ingredients
- Just 10 minutes prep time
- Just 30 minutes cook time
- Olive oil – Use high-quality olive oil for best flavor.
- Butter – Use high-quality butter for best flavor.
- Chicken thighs – Look for boneless, skinless chicken thighs. If you prefer to use chicken breasts, you could also use them in place of the thighs. You could also use rotisserie chicken, simply cook the veggies first and then add shredded chicken, being careful to not overcook and dry out.
- Spices – Poultry seasoning, sea salt, black pepper
- Onion – I’ve used yellow onion, but white onion would also work.
- Carrots – Use whole carrots for best flavor, or baby carrots if you prefer the convenience.
- Celery – Use fresh celery for best flavor or pre-chopped celery if you prefer the convenience.
- Flour – Use an all-purpose flour.
- Broth – I prefer to use bone broth for the richest flavor and a great naturally-creamy texture, but you could also use chicken broth or chicken stock – either homemade or storebought.
- Heavy cream – This helps make the soup creamy, you could use whole milk if you prefer, but heavy cream will definitely give you the creamiest texture.
- Egg noodles – While the type of noodles doesn’t matter a ton, I love this easy creamy chicken noodle soup with egg noodles – preferably high-quality egg noodles. Here are the ones I recommend, but use your favorite.
How to Make Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
This is an overview on how to make creamy chicken noodle soup, the detailed instructions can be found below in the recipe card.
What can I add to my soup to make it creamier?
We’re making this soup creamy two different ways. First we’re using a roux to help thicken the soup, but this also gives it a creamy texture. And then we’re finishing off the soup with some heavy cream – a little goes a long way so it may not sound like a lot, but it’s enough to make the soup creamy.
Why don’t you cook the noodles in the soup?
I don’t love how pasta stored in a soup gets soggy, so I typically write soup recipes out to serve them together, but store them separately. This also makes it easy to adjust the amount of pasta each person wants. I might want less and my kids may want more, it’s a win for everyone.
How do you make chicken noodle soup thicker?
If you plan ahead, you can use the roux method, but you can also simmer uncovered to help evaporate some of the liquid and thicken it naturally.
Store leftover homemade creamy chicken noodle soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. I recommend storing the noodles separately so they don’t get soggy.
How to reheat
Reheat soup in the microwave or the stove top until hot.
Can you freeze creamy chicken noodle soup?
If you’ve already added the heavy cream, I wouldn’t freeze it as dairy and milk does not freeze and thaw the best. But, you could freeze it before adding the heavy cream. Freeze in souper cubes to pre-portion the soup out and store in a freezer bag like (stasher bags) for 2-3 months.
What to Serve with Creamy Chicken and Noodle Soup
This creamy chicken noodle soup with egg noodles is really meant to be a full meal, but you could also add a few sides to stretch the meal or add in some extra veggies:
- Air Fryer Broccoli and Cauliflower
- Frozen Broccoli
- Raw veggies and Greek Yogurt Dip
- Fresh fruit
- Bread and butter
- Breadsticks or garlic bread
How to Feed Creamy Chicken Soup with Noodles to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in.
I would recommend serving the creamy homemade chicken noodle soup
in a pinch bowl (taster bowl) if it’s a new or learning-to-like it food. Serve the meal with a few items you know your kids will eat, like fruit, milk, and/or bread and butter if they don’t like plain noodles.
More Easy Soup Recipes
If you like this recipe for creamy chicken noodle soup, you might also like some of these other easy soup recipes:
Let me Meal Plan for you!
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning? It’s time to hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm instead of stressed. Your dinner is planned and your grocery list is made and everything is conveniently delivered to an app so you can print it out, access from your phone, or computer.
This creamy chicken noodle soup recipe is the best cozy comfort food meal you’ll want to eat all fall and winter!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 1/2 lb. chicken thighs (skinless, boneless), cut into small bite-sized pieces about 1/2 inch
- 1 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp. sea salt, divided
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 medium carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 medium stalks of celery, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 cups chicken bone broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 12 oz. egg noodles
- Heat oil and butter over medium-high heat in a large soup pot or dutch oven.
- Add chicken thigh pieces and season with poultry seasoning, 1 teaspoon of sea salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add onion, carrots, celery, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt to dutch oven and stir to combine. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until veggies are soft.
- Sprinkle flour over the veggies and chicken and stir to combine, the flour mixture should look like a paste. Stirring constantly, cook for 30-60 seconds.
- Add chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil. Turn heat down to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, cook egg noodles according to package instructions and drain.
- Stir in heavy cream and place egg noodles in a bowl. Top with soup and finish with flaky salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- I recommend using high-quality egg noodles like these or similar
Keywords: creamy chicken noodle soup, creamy chicken noodle soup recipe
Food styling and photography by Loren Runion.
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!