When I say easy, I mean easy! This recipe for haricots verts (French green beans) is on the table in just 10 minutes, and made with just TWO ingredients. Sautéed haricots verts are the perfect side for panko baked salmon or grilled chicken drumsticks…you can leave them simply seasoned, or try one of my flavor combos below to add more flavor. I love it when healthy recipes are simple, easy, and delicious too! It’s a wonderful way to eat, isn’t it?
Be sure to tag me when you make it, I love to see your creations! And if you’ve made it, will you please leave it a ⭐️ rating? It helps me out a ton!❤️
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of Contents
- What Are Haricot Verts?
- What’s the Difference Between a Haricot Vert and a Green Bean?
- What You’ll Love About Haricot Verts
- Sautéed Haricot Verts Ingredients
- How to Make Sautéed Haricot Verts
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storage Instructions
- Haricots Verts Recipe Seasoning Ideas
- What to Serve with Sautéed Haricot Verts
- More Easy Dinner Side Recipes
- Helpful Tools to Make Sautéed Haricot Verts
- Pin this recipe for sautéed haricots verts for later!
What Are Haricot Verts?
Merriam Webster defines haricot vert as a thin green bean. They are slightly different than the typical American green bean.
What’s the Difference Between a Haricot Vert and a Green Bean?
Haricots verts ARE different from regular green beans and I’ll tell you how they compare. Haricot vert are:
- thinner and longer in shape
- don’t have to be trimmed (this makes them quick and easy!)
- cook in less time
- have a little milder flavor (which may help the veggie-averse)
What You’ll Love About Haricot Verts
- Delicious and mild in flavor
- Thin and tender
- Super easy side dish
- 10 minute side dish
- Versatile – you can use any seasoning you like
Sautéed Haricot Verts Ingredients
You don’t need much to make sautéed haricot verts, just 3 simple ingredients:
- Haricots verts – Look for fresh green beans that don’t have any browning or rotting on the ends. You’ll need 1 pound haricots verts.
- Butter – The flavor is preferable, but you can also use olive oil.
- Sea salt
How to Make Sautéed Haricot Verts
Let’s get to the important part – how to cook haricots verts! This simple recipe comes together with just two simple ingredients and is ready in 10 minutes, which makes it a great side for any dinner…or dinner tonight!
- Melt butter in saute pan. Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat until butter foams.
- Saute haricots verts. Season with salt and cook haricots verts for 3 minutes.
TIP: If adding any other seasoning, do so now. (See below for ideas.)
- Steam haricots verts. Add water to pan, cover, and adjust to low heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes for tender crisp, 5-6 minutes for softer haricots verts.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is haricot verts in english?
It’s very simple, haricot is bean and vert is green…green beans!
How to pronounce haricot verts?
If French doesn’t come naturally to you (like myself!), this is how to pronounce haricots verts: är-ē-kō-ˈver
Store the leftover sautéed haricots verts in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to reheat
Reheat in the microwave or a hot skillet until heated through.
Can you freeze this haricots verts recipe?
Haricots Verts Recipe Seasoning Ideas
This recipe for haricots verts is BASIC, but it’s also a blank canvas for adding your own seasoning flair. Here are some great additions to get you started:
- Minced garlic
- Dried dill
- Lemon pepper seasoning
- Seasoning salt
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic salt
- Soy sauce + sesame oil
- Lemon juice + flaky sea salt
- Minced garlic cloves + flaky sea salt
Other Methods of Cooking Haricots Verts
While I love this simple sautéing method, many recipes call for cooking the beans in boiling water, removing with a slotted spoon, and plunged into a large bowl of ice water (an ice bath) to stop the cooking.
Another option is to lightly steam them with a steamer basket set above a few inches of water.
What to Serve with Sautéed Haricot Verts
Serve up this haricots verts recipe with a main dish for a complete meal:
- Baked Salmon with Dill
- Grilled Salmon in Foil
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
- Fish Cakes
- Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Asian Pork
More Easy Dinner Side Recipes
If you like this recipe for haricot verts (French beans), you might also like some of these other easy recipes:
- Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Napa Cabbage Slaw
- Mexican-Style Cauliflower Rice
- Air Fryer Broccoli
- Grilled Foil Potatoes
Helpful Tools to Make Sautéed Haricot Verts
- Stainless Steel Saute Pan – This one is great for stir fries and veggies because the tall sides prevent anything from getting lost over the sides.
- Flaky Sea Salt – This adds great flavor to this recipe for haricot verts. Use as a finishing salt.
Truly the EASIEST recipe for haricots verts! This sautéed haricots verts recipe takes just 2 ingredients + is on the table in 10 min.
1 lb. haricot verts
2 Tbsp. butter
1/8 tsp. sea salt
Melt butter in large pan over medium high heat. When it sizzles, add in the haricot verts.
Cook for 3 minutes, mostly undisturbed. Let them get a bit dark.
Season with salt and add 1/3 cup water to pan and cover.
Turn down heat to medium low and cook for 3-4 minutes for tender crisp, 5-6 minutes if you want them softer.
Remove cover and cook until all liquid has evaporated. Add more salt to taste if desired.
- See seasoning suggestions above.
Keywords: recipe for haricots verts, sautéed haricots verts, haricot verts recipe