These crispy black bean tacos may be made with just 3 ingredients and take just 15 minutes to make, but they are also super satisfying and totally delicious. This black bean taco recipe was designed as an “Activity Night” meal for the Weeknight Dinner Club – which means it’s got to take less than 15 minutes. You know, for the dance, sports, music nights when everyone still needs to eat, but time is limited and schedules might be rushed. Try my sheet pan grilled cheese, chicken and rice burrito, pesto tortellini, and teriyaki turkey lettuce wraps for more 15-minute meals.
The recipe is written using canned refried beans, but if you’ve got some extra time or want to prep some homemade black beans for tacos over the weekend, you’ve got to try my refried black beans from canned beans. I originally made them for these black bean tostadas, but my family has loved them so much that I also used them in these black bean and cheese burritos, black bean quesaritos, and now these crispy tacos. My black bean, corn, and avocado salad would also be stuffed into tortillas!
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About this Black Bean Taco Recipe
- How to Make Black Bean Tacos
- Storage Instructions
- How to Serve Crispy Black Bean Tacos to the Whole Family
- What to Serve with Black Bean Tacos
- More Easy Tex-Mex Recipes
What You’ll Love About this Black Bean Taco Recipe
- Vegetarian but super satisfying and filling
- Lots of flavor
- Crunchy tortilla and creamy refried black beans
- Cheesy layer
- Great source of protein and fiber
- Just 15 minutes total time
You’ll need just 3 basic ingredients to make this black beans taco recipe:
- Refried beans – Buy canned refried beans or make your own. I like to make a big batch of my refried black beans as I’ve now ruined my kids forever and they only like the homemade ones. But they are super simple and made with canned beans so try them out 😉
- Tortillas – Look for flour tortillas, about 6-inches in size or a taco size. You can also use corn tortillas if you prefer, you’ll just need to make them a little smaller.
- Cheese – Use shredded cheese for an easy shortcut. You can use shredded cheddar, Mexican blend cheese, or even a pepper jack for some added spice.
- Oil – You’ll need a bit of oil to make these crispy! Use olive oil, avocado oil, or vegetable oil.
- Avocado salsa – I like to have a bright green salsa or avocado salsa for dipping (Herdez makes one that I love!) or you can make your own guacamole.
- Extras – These are totally optional, but feel free to serve your crispy black bean tacos with fresh lime juice, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, sour cream, pickled jalapenos, pico de gallo, or any of your other favorite taco toppings.
How to Make Black Bean Tacos
Ok, let’s get to making the vegetarian tacos with black beans! No worries, they take just a few minutes of prep time and about 10 minutes cook time:
- Assemble tacos. Spread a bit of black bean mixture onto half of the tortilla. Top with a bit of shredded cheese and fold over.
- Cook tacos. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook tacos until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve. Serve tacos with a dipping sauce (guacamole or avocado salsa) or any of your favorite taco toppings.
The tacos with black beans are best served immediately. If you end up with leftovers, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
How to reheat
Reheat tacos in a hot skillet for best results.
How to Serve Crispy Black Bean Tacos to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in. 😉
With meals like these cooked tacos or quesadillas, I always ask my kids what they would like in them before cooking them. If they aren’t sure about beans, you can make a plain “taco” with cheese or just serve all of the components deconstructed.
And as always, be sure to serve the meal with a few other items you know they will like, like fruit, milk, and bread if they don’t do tortillas.
What to Serve with Black Bean Tacos
I like to serve taco and quesadilla meals with a lot of fresh toppings so everyone can add their own, but you could also include a simple veggie side.
- Frozen corn – Microwave and season with some butter, salt, and pepper.
- Tex Mex Side Salad
- Chipotle Copycat Corn Salsa
- Chipotle Copycat Fajita Veggies
- Mega list of Tex Mex sides
More Easy Tex-Mex Recipes
If you like these vegetarian black bean tacos, you might also like some of these other easy recipes:
- Ground Beef Quesadillas
- Shrimp Quesadillas
- 15-Minute Turkey Taco Skillet
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning?
Hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm because your dinner is already planned.
These simple and fast crispy black bean tacos are super satisfying, totally delicious, and take just 15 minutes to make!
- 2 15–oz. can refried black beans
- 8 small flour tortillas (about 6 inches)
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- avocado salsa or guacamole
- olive oil
- Make refried black beans from scratch if necessary.
- Spread half of tortilla with 1/4-1/3 cup of refried beans. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and fold over. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Heat drizzle of oil in a large 12″ nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add tacos to pan in a single layer.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown. Repeat with remaining tacos, adding more oil to pan if necessary.
- Serve with avocado salsa or guacamole.
- Nutrition facts are an estimate.
- You’ll probably only need one can of refried beans, but it really depends on how big your tortillas are so I’ve included two in the ingredient list.
Keywords: black bean tacos, black bean taco recipe, crispy black bean tacos
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!