This recipe was a total mashup of leftovers (chicken fajita quesadillas x buffalo chicken cheesesteaks!), but turned out SO delicious that I kept making it…and figured you might love it too! So what’s in this buffalo chicken quesadilla recipe? We’re adding thinly sliced buffalo chicken and sautéed peppers and onions to our super cheesy quesadilla. It’s SO GOOD! If you find yourself with leftover crockpot buffalo chicken, you could also use that here.
Estimated reading time: 9 minutes
- Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla VIDEO
- What You'll Love About Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas
- How to Make Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla Topping Ideas
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with Healthy Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas
- How to Feed Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas to the Whole Family
- Want More?
- More Easy Quesadilla Recipes
- Let me Meal Plan for you!
Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla VIDEO
What You’ll Love About Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas
- Gooey CHEESE and buffalo chicken…need I say more?
- Creamy cheese and tender chicken
- Minimal prep time
- Ready in 30 minutes
- Made with simple ingredients
- Onion – I recommend using white onion, but you could also use a yellow onion or even a red onion if you prefer.
- Pepper – You can use any bell peppers you prefer. Red, yellow, or orange peppers will give a sweeter flavor and green pepper will give more of a fajita flavor (like chicken fajita quesadillas).
- Olive oil – Use your favorite olive oil.
- Chicken – I like using chicken breast tenders as they are already cut a bit and it helps with prep time, but regular chicken breasts or sliced chicken breast will work. For a shredded buffalo chicken quesadilla, make a batch of crockpot buffalo chicken.
- Butter – Use your favorite butter.
- Buffalo sauce – Use your favorite buffalo sauce. If you don’t like heat, feel free to adjust the amount of buffalo sauce you use.
- Flour tortillas – Use an 8 or 10 inch flour tortilla. You can also use a whole wheat tortilla, corn tortilla, or almond flour tortilla if you prefer.
- Mexican cheese – Use a shredded Mexican cheese like queso asadero or queso Oaxaca for best flavor (these two can be found in your local Mexican market or section of grocery store). You can also use shredded cheddar cheese, Monterey jack cheese, or mozzarella cheese.
- Fresh toppings – These are optional, but add great flavor and freshness to the quesadilla. Try salsa, hot sauce, shredded lettuce, sour cream, sliced avocado, or guacamole.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas
This is an overview on how to make buffalo chicken quesadillas, the detailed instructions can be found below in the recipe card.
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Quesadilla Topping Ideas
Add some extra flavor, crunch, and nutrition to your buffalo chicken quesadillas with these topping ideas:
- Thinly sliced lettuce
- Sliced grape tomatoes
- Chopped red onion
- Sliced green onions
- Chopped cilantro
- Pickled jalapeño peppers
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream
- Diced avocado
- Ranch dressing
- Carrot and celery slaw
Are buffalo quesadillas spicy?
No, the buffalo chicken recipe that is used is on the mild side so that it can work for the whole family, but if you (or your kids) are extra-sensitive to spice, you could decrease the buffalo sauce even further.
And if you want more spice, drizzle some buffalo sauce over the chicken while you’re cooking the quesadillas. It’s easy to adjust the spice level.
Can you make these with rotisserie chicken?
Yes, you can make your own buffalo chicken by tossing together leftover rotisserie chicken or shredded chicken with buffalo sauce. Or, if you find yourself with leftover chicken wings…make these quesadillas! Simply pull the meat off the bones and shred. Toss chicken wing meat with extra hot sauce if desired.
Are buffalo chicken quesadillas healthy?
Yes, these buffalo chicken quesadillas are a satisfying meal! The full nutrition stats (an estimation!) and buffalo chicken quesadilla calories, etc. can be found below the recipe card.
Serve these delicious quesadillas with a veggie and fruit side for a well-balanced meal that covers your carb, protein, fruit, veggie, and FLAVOR components.
Store leftover quesadillas or buffalo chicken mixture in the refrigerator in a glass storage container for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat the quesadillas in a hot skillet until warmed through for best results. Microwaving will work but the tortillas might be a bit soggy.
Can you freeze buffalo chicken quesadillas?
Yes, you can also freeze the quesadillas. Store them in an airtight container (stasher bags work well) and freeze for 2-3 months.
What to Serve with Healthy Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas
Serve this buffalo chicken quesadilla recipe with a simple side:
How to Feed Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in.
I would recommend letting older kids decide what components go into their quesadilla and younger kids serving components separate with a cheese quesadilla if they don’t like food mixed or if it’s a new or learning-to-like it food. Serve the meal with a few items you know your kids will eat, like fruit, milk, and/or bread and butter if they don’t like quesadillas or tortillas.
More Easy Quesadilla Recipes
If you like this recipe for buffalo chicken quesadillas, you might also like some of these other easy quesadillas:
Let me Meal Plan for you!
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning? It’s time to hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm instead of stressed. Your dinner is planned and your grocery list is made and everything is conveniently delivered to an app so you can print it out, access from your phone, or computer.
This buffalo chicken quesadilla recipe is incredibly easy, but has so much flavor with layers of buffalo chicken, sautéed veggies, and plenty of cheese!
- 1 white onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. chicken breast tenders
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 4 flour tortillas (burrito size)
- 12 oz. shredded Mexican cheese (I recommend queso asadero or queso Oaxaca)
- optional toppings: salsa, shredded lettuce, sour cream
- Thinly slice onion and bell peppers. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add sliced onion and peppers. Season with salt and pepper and cover. Cook for 9-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice chicken tenders as thin as you can.
- Heat butter in another large nonstick skillet and add chicken to skillet. Season with salt and cook undisturbed for 2 minutes. Flip chicken and cook another 2-3 minutes, until cooked through. Pour in buffalo sauce and cook another minute or two, until buffalo sauce has thickened.
- Assemble quesadillas. In large skillet over medium heat, layer 1/3 cup shredded cheese on one half of the tortilla. Top with 1/2 cup buffalo chicken mixture, ⅓ cup peppers and onions, and 1/3 cup shredded cheese.
- Fold over top and cook for about 2-3 minutes, and when cheese starts to melt, carefully flip over with large flipper and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Repeat with remaining 3 quesadillas.
- Cut into wedges and serve with toppings.
- You can also use this crock pot shredded buffalo chicken instead of cooking it in the skillet.
Keywords: buffalo chicken quesadilla, buffalo chicken quesadilla recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!