This buffalo chicken cheesesteak recipe is easy to make, delicious, and packed with flavor. With a mouthwatering combination (similar to my buffalo chicken quesadillas) of tender sliced chicken, sautéed peppers and onions, gooey cheese, and spicy buffalo sauce, each bite is SO GOOD! I know buffalo chicken wings don’t have the reputation of being a “healthy” food, but this sandwich contains protein, produce, carbs, and flavor (with just the right amount of heat) – which is what I look for in a balanced and nutritious meal. Serve with extra veggies on the side (like raw veggies and veggie dip or my popular napa cabbage slaw) to add in even more nutrients. Or serve with chili dip for delicious game day eats.
If you prefer to make the chicken in the crock pot, follow the instructions in my slow cooker buffalo chicken and then use lightly drained shredded chicken in place of the sliced chicken.
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
- What You'll Love About this Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak Recipe
- How to Make Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteaks
- Storage Instructions
What You’ll Love About this Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak Recipe
- Delicious flavors
- Spicy and cheesy
- Filling and nutritious
- Easy to make
- Made with simple ingredients
- Onion – I’ve used a white onion here and that works well, but you could also use a yellow onion or even a red onion.
- Bell peppers – You can use any bell peppers – red pepper, yellow pepper, orange pepper, or green pepper. I like a mix of green and then one of the other, sweeter varieties.
- Olive oil – Use high quality cooking oil.
- Chicken – I recommend using chicken breast tenders as they are easier to slice, but you could also use regular chicken breasts, or chicken thighs if you prefer, but the cooking time will need to be adjusted.
- Butter – Use high quality butter for best flavor.
- Buffalo sauce – Use your favorite buffalo wing sauce. I love Anchor buffalo chicken sauce!
- Cheese – I recommend using white American cheese slices for best flavor and texture (it’s what is typically used in a classic Philly cheesesteak and also what my Philly born brother-in-law and sandwich expert would use. :)). Provolone cheese, mozzarella cheese, or cheddar cheese would also work.
- Hoagie rolls – I like hoagie rolls, but any sort of soft, sandwich roll or brioche buns would work here.
- Extras – These are purely optional and the sandwich is delicious without it, but if you want to add some extra flavor try blue cheese crumbles, blue cheese dressing, and sliced green onions.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteaks
This is an overview on how to make buffalo chicken sandwiches, the detailed instructions can be found below in the recipe card.
Store leftover sandwich components in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat chicken and pepper mixture in a microwave or hot skillet until heated through.
What to Serve with Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak Recipe
These tasty sandwiches need a few simple sides and dinner is on the table. Here are some favorites that are both veggie-heavy and pair perfectly with buffalo flavors.
- Carrot & Celery Slaw with Blue Cheese
- Napa Cabbage Slaw
- Celery sticks
- Carrot sticks
- Raw veggies and dip
- Potato chips
- Fresh fruit
How to Feed this Chicken Cheesesteak Recipe to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in.
I would recommend serving this entire meal family style and letting everyone build their own sandwich. Typically with sandwich recipes like this one, I’ll put out all of the components, but the kids will have a deconstructed version that includes some of the ingredients and definitely the bread. 🙂 Serve the meal with a few items you know your kids will eat, like fruit, milk, and/or bread and butter if they don’t like the buns.
More Buffalo Chicken Recipes
If you like this buffalo chicken cheesesteak recipe, you might also like some of these other buffalo sauce recipes (I have so many buffalo :
- Buffalo Chicken Sliders
- Crispy Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Buffalo Shrimp
- Buffalo Chicken Pasta Casserole
- Buffalo Chicken Flatbread
Let me Meal Plan for you!
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning? It’s time to hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm instead of stressed. Your dinner is planned and your grocery list is made and everything is conveniently delivered to an app so you can print it out, access from your phone, or computer.
Add some heat to dinner with this easy buffalo chicken cheesesteak recipe! These sandwiches are loaded with flavor and can easily be customized.
- 1 white onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. chicken tenders
- 1 Tbsp. Butter
- 1/4 cup buffalo sauce
- 8 slices white American cheese
- 4 hoagie rolls
- Preheat broiler to high heat.
- Thinly slice onion and bell peppers. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add sliced onion and peppers. Season with salt and pepper and cover. Cook for 9-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice chicken tenders as thin as you can.
- Heat butter in another large nonstick skillet and add chicken to skillet. Season with salt and cook undisturbed for 2 minutes. Flip chicken and cook another 2-3 minutes, until cooked through. Pour in buffalo sauce and cook another minute or two, until buffalo sauce has thickened.
- Layer buffalo chicken onto hoagie roll and top with onion and pepper mixture. Place sliced white American cheese over veggies and broil until cheese is melty, about a minute or two. Watch closely so they don’t burn!
Keywords: buffalo chicken cheesesteak, buffalo chicken cheesesteak recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!