My easy creamy cucumber salad recipe is a fantastic and refreshing summer side dish! It’s cool, creamy, and goes with just about any main dish (steaks, ribs, burgers, or grilled drumsticks). Not only is this creamy cucumber and onion salad a classic, but it’s the best to make when the summer gardens are overflowing with cucumbers. Similar to my napa cabbage slaw, this creamy cucumber dill salad is a STAPLE in the summer.
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Table of Contents
What You’ll Love About Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Classic summertime salad
- Great way to use up cucumbers from the garden
- Can easily be made-ahead
- Just 20 minutes total time
- Perfect side dish that can go with so many meals
The ingredients to make this old fashioned creamy cucumber salad are simple and basic:
- Cucumber – Use whatever type of cucumber is plentiful! It’s great with garden cucumbers. If you’re buying cucumbers from the store, I prefer hot house or English cucumbers because you don’t have to peel them, but standard cucumbers will also work well.
- White onion – I prefer the white onion, but you could also use yellow or even red onion.
- Sour cream – You can also use plain Greek yogurt – use full-fat for best flavor, but it’s up to you.
- White vinegar – This gives classic flavor, but you could also use apple cider vinegar or champagne vinegar for a twist.
- Dill – I’ve used dried dill, but you could also use fresh dill. Use two teaspoons fresh dill.
- Garlic salt – You could also use garlic powder if you prefer with a pinch of salt or add salt to taste.
How to Make Creamy Cucumber and Onion Salad
This creamy cucumber salad recipe is so simple to make:
- Prep ingredients. Thinly slice cucumber and onion.
TIP: Using a mandoline slicer helps get even slices quickly.
- Mix dressing. In a large bowl, combine sour cream, vinegar, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Dress cucumbers. Toss sliced cucumbers and onions in with the sour cream mixture and stir until everything is coated.
- Chill. Chill salad in fridge for 15-30 minutes.
Store this recipe for creamy cucumber salad in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
What to Serve with Creamy Cucumber Dill Salad
This creamy cucumber and onion salad goes with any summer meal! Here are a few favorite main courses:
More Easy Salad Recipes
If you like this creamy cucumber onion salad, you might also like some of these other easy salad recipes:
- Arugula Watermelon Salad with Feta
- Napa Cabbage Slaw
- Kale Apple Slaw
- Greek Cucumber Salad
- Quinoa Arugula Salad
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning?
Hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm because your dinner is already planned.
Easy and classic, this creamy cucumber salad recipe comes together in just 20 minutes! Made with simple ingredients and perfect side dish.
- 1 lb. cucumber (about 1 large cucumber)
- 1/4 white onion
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. dried dill weed
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- freshly cracked pepper to taste
- Prep ingredients:
Thinly slice the white onion.
Slice the cucumbers.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream, vinegar, dill, and garlic salt.
- Toss cucumbers and onion in with the dressing and chill for 15-30 minutes if possible.
- Stir before serving.
- This salad will last about a day in the refrigerator.
Keywords: creamy cucumber salad recipe, creamy cucumber and onion salad, creamy cucumber dill salad
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!