This grilled chicken drumsticks recipe is SO EASY! I’m sharing the BEST 4-ingredient chicken marinade (that’s made with pantry staples) and show you just how long to grill chicken legs, PLUS my 3 tips for grilling. It’s not just for the guys!
I’ve learned a new skill! And I’m pretty proud. (And shhhhh, it’s pretty easy to grill – especially these easy grilled drumsticks!) And you know what? I think YOU should learn how to grill too.
If you’re anything like me, grilling has always been a bit intimidating. Mostly because I’ve never really done it myself. We haven’t had our own grill in many, many years but even when we did, I always just sent Richie outside to grill whatever was on the menu.
And I get it! You might want some help with dinner. (Don’t we all?!) But can I let you in on a little grilling secret? You get to go outside (maybe/probably/hopefully by yourself) and sip a beverage while dinner cooks. WHAT?! That literally sounds like vacation. So I decided to jump into the grilling world with one of my favorite cuts of meat – chicken drumsticks! I’ve found that when you buy high-quality meat, you can keep things really simple, which truly is my favorite way to cook – and eat. So buy the highest-quality you can afford, it really makes a difference.
Ok, it’s time for my grilled chicken drumsticks recipe.
How to Make Grilled Chicken Legs:
I told you this grilled drumstick recipe easy, let me show you just how easy.
First we make our quick little marinade. This marinade for chicken drumsticks is great because it’s super-easy to make, and while the addition of soy sauce might make you think that it’s going in an Asian chicken direction, it really just imparts a salty, umami flavor and gives the skin great color. The oil helps ensure that your meat won’t stick to the grill.
Mix it up in a plastic bag and then add your chicken legs. Mix the chicken legs in the bag a bit so they are all covered with the marinade. Let the drumsticks marinate for at least 20 minutes, or overnight.
When it’s time to grill, take the meat of the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. This will help it cook evenly on the grill.
Then we grill!
How long to grill chicken legs?
This is a really common question! If you’re looking for chicken drumstick grill times, know that they will vary a bit depending on grill temperature and drumstick size.
A general guideline is to cook them for about 25-30 minutes in a grill that’s between 300-400 degrees F. I always recommend using a meat thermometer to get it just right. Grill the drumsticks to an internal temperature of 175 degrees F.
Don’t forget to let your grilled drumsticks rest for at least 5 minutes.
How many calories are in a grilled chicken drumstick?
The number of calories in grilled chicken drumsticks will vary a bit, but an average, 4 oz. drumstick with this marinade has 204 calories. The full nutrition stats can be found below in the recipe card.
Three Tips for Grilling:
- Let the meat come to temperature. Remove meat from the fridge about a half-hour before you plan on grilling. This ensures that it cooks at the proper rate.
- Don’t futz with the food! (Futz may not be a technical term, but…)You don’t want to be constantly flipping and turning, put the meat on the grill, and flip it when it’s about half-way done. This will also help make sure the meat doesn’t stick to the grill.
- Use a meat thermometer. Seriously, it’s hard to know when food on the grill is done, and often times we over-cook because we don’t want foods to be under-cooked. Using a meat thermometer will ensure your grilled meats and fish are done, but not OVER done. (By the way, Moink sends a digital one your way with your first order. Just sayin!)
What to Serve with Grilled Chicken Drumsticks:
With an easy grilled chicken drumsticks recipe like this one, I like to keep the sides just as easy! Grilled veggies and grilled bread are our other favorites along with the recipes below:
- Simple Green Salad – I call this our house salad, because it’s our favorite!
- Summer Quinoa Salad – Full of summer produce and flavors, this quinoa salad is always a hit.
- Cherry Chicken Pasta Salad – If you’re from the Twin Cities, you probably know this popular pasta salad!
- Blue Cheese & Olive Pasta Salad – This sweet and savory pasta salad pairs perfectly with this grilled chicken drumsticks recipe.
- Best Tomato Toast – When tomatoes reach their peak, serve your grilled drumsticks with this toast for the perfect summer meal.
My grilled chicken legs (drumsticks) recipe is SO EASY! Try the BEST 4-ingredient marinade made with pantry staples + learn how long to grill chicken legs.
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 6 chicken drumsticks (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- Mince garlic and add all ingredients except for chicken to a plastic zip-topped bag.
- Add chicken to bag and marinate for at least 20 minutes, or overnight. Flip bag to distribute marinade occasionally.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator and preheat grill to medium high, about 375 degrees.
- Place chicken legs on hot grill and cook for 15 minutes, flip over and cook for another 10 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 175 degrees.
- Let rest for at least 5-10 minutes and dig in!
Serve chicken with grilled bread and a veggie slaw or one of the recipes above.
Keywords: grilled chicken drumsticks, how to grill, grilled drumsticks, grilled chicken
This post is brought to you by Moink, a regular partner of mine. Moink is a farmer owned and operated community that ships humanely-raised, ethically-sourced meat right to your door (shipping is always free)! It’s an amazing service and company that I’m thrilled to partner with and share with you. They are offering you $20 off your first order, just use code ‘myeverydaytable’! If you want to see just how the boxes come, click here to watch me unpack a box!
What do I get in my Moink box? I usually start with the beef, chicken, salmon box and then go in and make a few swaps based on what I feel like or what sounds especially good. The salmon is fantastic (wild-caught from Alaska), ground lamb makes perfect burgers, and the grass-fed steaks make for a delicious and affordable date-night in, so we’re usually sure to include those!
Don’t forget! They are offering you $20 off your first order, use code ‘myeverydaytable’!