Blue cheese steak salads may cost more than $20 at a restaurant, but you can easily make it yourself for a lot less money and in just 20 minutes! It’s the best grilled steak salad recipe out there when each bite has savory steak, bitter escarole, crunchy lettuce, sweet red peppers, and balsamic vinaigrette.
How to Make Grilled Steak Salad
This blue cheese steak salad is beyond easy! (And even easier if you’ve got some leftover grilled steak to use up.)
- Make steak salad dressing. Whisk together balsamic vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper.
TIP: Make the dressing in a small jar (jam jars work well) and there’s no need to whisk, just shake it until emulsified.
- Prep steak salad components. Chop lettuce and escarole, thinly slice roasted red peppers, crumble blue cheese, and thinly slice steak against the grain.
- Assemble grilled steak salads. Place lettuce and escarole on a plate or large bowl and top with roasted red peppers, blue cheese, and sliced steak. Drizzle with dressing and top with flaky sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.
Are Steak Salads Healthy?
Yes! This grilled steak salad recipe is healthy. Why? We’ve got protein, produce (hi veggies), fats, fiber, FLAVOR.
I don’t do diets (and I don’t think you should either) so when I create meals, I want them to have all of those components that help make meals satisfying AND nutritious.
Best Steak for Salad:
When you’re cooking steak for salad, you want to think about a few things:
- Favorite cuts – ribeye, filet, sirloin, flank, etc.
- Nutrition – steak salad calories will vary based on what cut of meat you use
- Budget – this will be different for everyone, so it’s up to you
I created this recipe as a cook once, eat twice meal for the weeknight dinner club, so the members had steak dinners one night and then turned the extra steak into this simple steak salad recipe for a quick meal later in the week.
Steak Salad Ingredients:
Ingredients for summer steak salad recipes will vary, but each of the ingredients in this healthy steak salad all have a purpose!
- Salad dressing – More on this below, but kept it simple and delicious with a balsamic vinaigrette.
- Steak – Also more on this below, but you can use your favorite cuts of steak!
- Green leaf lettuce – Any leafy green with a bit of crunch will work here, but I love the mildness of green leaf in combination with the escarole.
- Escarole – If you’ve never tried it before, it’s a leafy green similar to endive. Sturdy and slightly bitter, it adds a nice contrast to the salad.
- Roasted red peppers – These add some sweetness to the seared steak salad
- Blue cheese – Can also use gorgonzola here, you just want something flavorful and a little funky
- Flaky sea salt and freshly cracked pepper – Add these to taste
What Dressing is Good on Steak?
The steak salad dressing recipe is so simple! Balsamic vinegar is a great sweet and acidic counter to rich steak, and you can whip it up in just a few minutes!
Vinaigrettes are ideal for steak and blue cheese salads, but feel free to swap out the vinegar for a red wine vinegar or even apple cider vinegar.
What to Serve with Steak Salad Recipes?
This grilled steak salad doesn’t need much, but I recommend serving it with some bread on the side for a complete meal.
You could also add some grilled or sautéed potatoes or sweet potatoes on top of the salad.
Serving Grilled Steak Salad to the Whole Family
The grilled bread is also one of the ways that I’ll serve this grilled steak salad with blue cheese for the whole family, even though my young kids “don’t like salads.”
Serve the meal components separate for toddlers and older kids if they don’t like mixed foods, otherwise you can serve your kids a smaller portion if you don’t think they’ll eat much and serve the bread alongside.
Add in some fresh fruit and a cup of milk if you need to add a little more. The point is that everyone eats the same meal!
Blue Cheese Steak Salad Nutrition + Substitutes:
There are approximately 541 calories in steak salad with blue cheese. See the full nutrition stats below.
If you want to swap out any of the ingredients and toppings, here are a few ways you can add even more nutrition into this meal:
- More veggies – Adding veggies is the best way to add more nutrients into meals. Try chopped spinach, sliced cucumbers, sliced red onion, and/or tomatoes.
- Less steak – The recipe is written with about 6 ounces of steak per person, but you could definitely use 2-3 ounces instead. This will save on calories, fat, and $!
- Grilled bread – The bread isn’t calculated into the nutrition facts, but if you’re looking for lower carb recipes, just skip the bread.
More Salad Recipes:
If you like steak salad recipes for dinner, you might also like some of these other healthy salad recipes:
- Tuna Nicoise Salad – Perfect for meal prep and a great way to enjoy more seafood.
- Panzanella Chicken Caesar – Classic caesar flavors, a quick homemade dressing, and tonssss of fresh croutons.
- Flank Steak Salad with Arugula – Perfect for entertaining, it’s easy to marinade the steak and prep the dressing before your guests arrive.
- Easy Taco Salad – How to serve salads for kids? Include chips.
Helpful Tools for Blue Cheese Steak Salad:
- Instant Read Meat Thermometer – I literally will not travel without a meat thermometer anymore, it’s the best way to tell when your meat is done cooking. You’ll spend more on steaks than you will the thermometer so make sure they’re cooked properly!
- Flaky Sea Salt – Another item I don’t travel without. Upgrades anything (toast, pasta, veggies, etc.) for less than $10.
EASY grilled steak salad takes just 20 min! Loaded with flavor + sharing tips for how to serve this blue cheese steak salad recipe to the whole family.
Steak Salad Dressing:
- 1 1/2 lbs. steak of choice or leftover steak
- 5 oz. romaine or green leaf lettuce
- 1 small head escarole
- 1 cup sliced roasted red peppers
- 4 oz. gorgonzola or blue cheese crumbles
- 1 baguette
- Grill steaks if not using leftovers. Grill steak undisturbed, for about 3-4 minutes per side, or cooked until 140°F for medium rare, or 155°F for medium. Let rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing.
- Prep salad ingredients:
Wash and cut lettuce if necessary.Thinly slice escarole.Slice roasted red peppers if necessary.Crumble blue cheese.
Thinly slice steak against the grain.
Assemble salad. In a large bowl or individual plates, layer lettuce on the bottom. Top with escarole, red peppers, crumbled blue cheese, and sliced steak. Drizzle with dressing. Top with freshly cracked pepper to taste.
- Leftover steak works PERFECT in this recipe.
- Nutrition facts include 6 oz. steak and do not include grilled bread.
Keywords: grilled steak salad, steak salad recipe, blue cheese steak salad