Slow cooker brats are made in just a few simple steps and turn out flavorful and juicy each time! These crock pot beer brats are made with just 6 simple ingredients that you probably already have…what are you waiting for? Serve these crock pot brats in buns for a traditional Midwest meal or with roasted potatoes and cabbage.
This beer brats in slow cooker recipe was originally published in October of 2014 and updated in September of 2020 to update the recipe and include FAQs and step-by-step instructions. Here’s an old picture:
If Wisconsin had a themed meal, crockpot beer brats would be it. Because in the land of cheese and beer and brats AND easy slow cooker meals…slow cooker brats just make sense.
Summer is for grilling brats and fall and winter is for slow cooker brats. That’s just how it works around these parts! Interestingly enough, I tried this recipe while we were living in Los Angeles, but now that I’m back in the land of brats and winter, slow cooker brats are the perfect way to stay warm whenever a brat craving strikes.
How do you all feel about brats? It’s pretty much part of the culture I grew up in. My local meat market has no less than 22 varieties of brats. We take it very seriously and from the moment it’s warm enough to step outside to grill (and let’s be real – even when it’s not for some) the aroma of brats are essential to spring/summer/fall nights in the midwest.
And if you landed here, you must be a fan of brats. Have you ever tried cooking them in the slow cooker?
How to Cook Crockpot Beer Brats:
These slow cooker bratwurst are so simple to make!
- Prep aromatics. Slice onions into half moons and smash garlic. Place both into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Brown brats. Before we cook the bratwurst in crockpot, we’re going to brown them to help lock in flavor. Heat for 1-2 minutes per side, just until browned, they don’t need to be cooked through. Place in slow cooker.
- Make beer sauce. In a small bowl or 2-cup measuring cup, mix together the beer, mustard, and caraway seeds. Pour over brats.
- Cook brats. Cook beer brats in a slow cooker for 2 hours on high, or 4 hours on low.
Crockpot Brats FAQs
Can you cook brats in a slow cooker?
Yes! You can absolutely cook brats in a slow cooker. And it’s ridiculously easy, too.
Typically, brats are a warm-weather meal, but this slow cooker brats recipes takes it into fall and winter. Brats, sauerkraut, and potatoes are slow cooked in a mustardy-beer sauce. And though the result may not be the prettiest food around, the warm, comforting meal more than makes up for it.
How long do you cook brats in a slow cooker?
The cooking time for slow cooker brats depends on whether you’re cooking them on high or low heat. These brats cook in about 6 hours on low heat, but if you wanted them done faster, you could cook them for 4 hours on high. Be sure to make sure they are cooked through!
How to keep brats warm in slow cooker without beer?
If you’d prefer to make your crockpot brat recipes without beer, simply swap the beer for a chicken or veggie broth.
None of the beer, but you’ll still get flavor.
How to Store Leftover Crockpot Brats and Onions:
Store any leftover slow cooker bratwurst in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Reheat in the microwave or a hot skillet until heated through.
More Slow Cooker Recipes:
If you like slow cooker brat recipes like this one, you may also like some of these other crockpot recipes:
- Slow Cooker Turkey Quinoa Chili – This twist on chili takes just 10 minutes to prep and is loaded with nutritious ingredients.
- Slow Cooker Pork Gyros – Just 15 minutes to prep these gyros with classic Greek flavors and incredibly juicy pork.
- Crockpot Chipotle Chicken – This smoky and spicy twist on BBQ chicken is great in chicken sliders and then turned into a chicken enchilada skillet.
- Crockpot Chicken and Salsa – An incredibly easy cook once, eat twice meal that starts with 2-ingredient salsa chicken.
- Slow Cooker Turkey French Dips – This cook once, eat twice meal is a favorite among the Weeknight Dinner Club members. Family-approved and easy!
Helpful Tools for Crockpot Beer Brats:
- Cock Pot Slow Cooker – If you’re in the market for a new slow cooker, I highly recommend this one I use it all the time and am so happy with it! And the price is awesome.
You won’t believe how easy these slow cooker brats are. Crockpot beer brats are made with just 6 ingredients and are flavorful and juicy!
- 1 onion, sliced into half moons
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 10 brats
- 1 cup beer of choice
- 2 Tbsp. grainy mustard
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds
Layer onion and garlic in the bottom of the slow cooker.
Heat oil in large skillet. Brown brats for about 1-2 minutes per side, just until browned. (They don’t need to be cooked through!) Nestle brats on top of the onions and garlic.
Combine beer, mustard and caraway seeds in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and pour over brats and veggies.
Cook on high for 2 hours, or low for about 4 hours, or until brats are cooked through.
- Use a pilsner or IPA beer.
- Dijon mustard can also be used in place of grainy mustard.
Keywords: slow cooker brats, slow cooker, brats, midwest
This post may contain affiliate links. I earn a small commission from purchases made through them, at no additional cost to you. Thanks for supporting this site!