These fish stick tacos are crispy and delicious (and ahem, easy). What makes these the best easy beer battered fish tacos? Well in keeping with the easy theme, we’re skipping the deep frying and using frozen battered fish. You still get crispy fish tacos, without the mess and work of deep frying. Top the Trader Joe’s tacos with simple pickled red onions and a drizzle of lime crema fish taco sauce. It’s a delicious combo! Serve these easy fish tacos with a side of black beans for a balanced meal.
Be sure to tag me when you make these white fish tacos, I love to see your creations! And if you’ve made it, will you please leave it a ⭐️ rating below? It helps me out a ton!❤️
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Table of Contents
- Ingredients to Make Easy Fish Stick Tacos with Slaw
- How to Make Trader Joe’s Tacos with Fish Sticks
- Easy Fish Tacos Recipe FAQs
- How to Store Leftover Easy Fish Tacos
- More Easy Trader Joe’s Recipes
- Pin this fish stick tacos with cabbage recipe for later!
Ingredients to Make Easy Fish Stick Tacos with Slaw
While it’s easy to grab everything you need for these easy fish tacos with lime crema at Trader Joe’s, none of these ingredients are special to Trader Joe’s, so you can find them at any store:
- Battered or breaded fish – You can use fish sticks, battered fish, or your favorite breaded fish.
- Black beans
- Red onion
- White vinegar
- Sour cream
- Corn tortillas
- Cilantro – Optional, but recommended
How to Make Trader Joe’s Tacos with Fish Sticks
Let me show you why this fish tacos with fish sticks hack is a great way to get a quick weeknight dinner on the table!
- Bake fish. Follow prep instructions on package. You want the fish crispy!
- Heat black beans. Don’t dump the liquid from the can, you want to simmer the black beans in the liquid in a skillet for most flavor.
- Pickle onions. Thinly slice red onion and cover in white vinegar. This can also be done ahead.
- Make lime crema aka our fish taco sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, sour cream, and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper to taste if desired. Add a sprinkle of chili powder if you like some heat.
- Heat tortillas. I like to do this (carefully!) over the gas oven flame to get them charred, but you can also microwave them.
- Assemble tacos. Top tortillas with a piece of fish, shredded cabbage, onions, sliced avocado, and a drizzle of lime crema. Serve with lime wedges.
Easy Fish Tacos Recipe FAQs
Can you make fish tacos with fish sticks?
Yes! I know it may sound kind of funny, but it’s a great way to easily make breaded fish tacos. I prefer buying the fish with breading as opposed to doing it myself because frying fish is a tad messy. Baking off breaded fish is an easy kitchen shortcut.
Can you make these with other fish?
Yes, you can really use any fish. You can even make these easy fish tacos with fish sticks! Otherwise any breaded white fish like cod or tilapia will work well.
If salmon is more your style, try my salmon tacos.
What are the best fish sticks for fish tacos?
It’s really up to you! If you have a favorite, use it. I recommend whole fish pieces for best flavor, but if your kids prefer fish sticks with fish pieces instead, use them.
Do I have to shop at Trader Joe’s?
No, you make this easy fish taco recipe with cabbage with ingredients from any store.
Can you make an easy coleslaw for fish tacos?
Yes, simply toss together the lime crema, a pinch of salt, and the shredded cabbage together. Add extra lime juice if desired and chill for at least 30 minutes.
How to Store Leftover Easy Fish Tacos
These easy fish tacos with slaw are best eaten fresh. If you’re going to have leftovers save everything separately and reheat the fish in a 400 degree F oven or hot skillet for best results.
More Easy Trader Joe’s Recipes
If you like this Trader Joe’s fish tacos recipe, you might also like some of these other easy Trader Joe’s recipes:
- 15 Easy Trader Joe’s Recipes – One of the most popular posts on my site!
- TJ’s Vegetarian Chili Nachos – Simple, satisfying, and a quick and easy snack, lunch, or dinner!
- TJ’s Pollo Asado Quinoa Bowls – Just 15 minutes and 6 ingredients to make this grain bowl that’s perfect for a lunch, light dinner, or meal prep!
- TJ’s Tikka Masala Lentils – Just 10 minutes to make this vegan meal that’s loaded with plant based protein.
- TJ’s Curry Meatballs – It’s hard to believe that this flavorful meal takes just 20 minutes to make. It’s a staple and a must if you love curry.
Make this easy Trader Joe’s fish tacos recipe with just 8 ingredients + a few staples! This weeknight dinner is ready in 30 minutes!
- 10 oz. battered or breaded fish
- 15.5 oz. can black beans
- 1 red onion
- white vinegar
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 avocado
- 12 oz. corn tortillas
- 10 oz. shredded green cabbage
- chopped cilantro
- Pre-heat oven and bake fish according to package instructions.
- Heat up beans (liquid and all!) in a saute pan. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the mixture has thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice 1/2 red onion and place into a bowl and cover with white vinegar.
- Whisk together lime juice, sour cream, and mayonnaise. Season with a pinch of salt if desired.
- Heat tortillas over a gas stove (carefully!) or in a warm pan or microwave.
- Top warm tortillas with fish, cabbage, onions, avocado, and lime crema. Serve with black beans on the side
- FISH: choose a battered fish, I prefer the battered halibut.
- SERVE WITH: quinoa street corn salad if you want another side.
Keywords: easy fish tacos recipe, Trader Joe’s fish tacos recipe, fish tacos with cod