In this easy Trader Joe’s recipe, we’re combining two TJ staples: Trader Joe’s Tikka Masala Sauce and Trader Joe’s lentils! This Masala Trader Joe’s lentils recipe is so many things. It’s delicious. It’s incredibly easy (10 minutes, YES!), vegetarian, packed with protein, and reheats really well which makes it ideal for meal prep.
If you are looking for recipes with Trader Joe’s lentils or recipes with precooked lentils, look no further!
Does Trader Joe’s Sell Lentils?
Yes, and the Trader Joe’s steamed lentils are one of my favorite items! While cooking lentils yourself is definitely more cost-effective, if you’re looking for a simple shortcut…and one that will ensure your lentils are perfectly cooked every time, give the lentils from Trader Joe’s a try!
What to do with Trader Joe’s Lentils?
If you’re looking for recipes with Trader Joe’s lentils, this Trader Joe’s Tikka Masala Lentils Recipe makes an excellent meal prep lunch or super simple dinner.
You can also combine it with bruschetta mix and feta cheese for a simple salad that’s incredibly filling and delicious!
I also love using the lentils to bulk up lunch salads.
How to Use Trader Joe’s Masala Simmer Sauce:
Trader Joe’s vegan tikka masala sauce couldn’t be easier to use! Simply decide on your protein, simmer with the sauce, and serve. It’s got the Indian flavors you love, without the overwhelming spice list.
Trader Joe’s masala simmer sauce review: 5/5! For being flavorful and incredibly versatile.
Note: it’s not spicy, so you can add some red pepper flakes to taste if you like a little heat.
Trader Joe’s Masala Simmer Sauce Nutrition:
Trader Joe’s Tikka Masala Sauce is a flavorful vegetarian sauce, featuring traditional spices like turmeric, cumin, fenugreek, coriander, cinnamon, and clove.
Per 1/2 cup serving:
- 90 calories
- 4.5 grams fat
- 360 mg sodium
- 12 grams carbohydrates
- 2 grams fiber
- 6 grams sugar
- 2 grams protein
**Trader Joe’s Tikka Masala Sauce does contain milk and is made on equipment shared with tree nuts.
How to Cook Trader Joe’s Masala Lentils
This Trader Joe’s lentils recipe takes just 10 minutes. TOTAL!!!
Here’s how we make it:
- Cook cauliflower rice. Heat oil in a large skillet and stir fry cauliflower rice for 3-4 minutes. Add an additional minute or two if you want it to get a little golden. Season with sea salt.
- Make masala lentils. Heat oil in a large skillet and crumble lentils into the pan.
TIP: The steamed lentils from Trader Joe’s come in a block form, and just need to be gently crumbled. I prefer to do this with my hands instead of a spoon or spatula so that the lentils don’t get crushed.
- Assemble. Serve the Trader Joe’s tikka masala sauce lentils over cauliflower rice and season with salt to taste. Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired.
Frozen or Fresh Cauliflower Rice:
This is totally up to you, but when it comes to Trader Joe’s cauliflower rice, I’ve always had better luck with the frozen variety.
I think it depends a lot on how fast your store goes through it (aka, how fresh is it), but after getting a few bad bags, I transitioned entirely to the frozen cauliflower rice. Then I know it’s fresh and I don’t have to worry about it if I don’t make it right away.
But feel free to use either in this recipe, I’m using 2 servings of cauliflower rice per meal.
How to Store Trader Joe’s Tikka Masala Sauce with Lentils:
Store the Trader Joe’s cooked lentils with masala simmer sauce in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. This is a great meal to meal prep, as it stores really well in the refrigerator.
More Easy Trader Joe’s Recipes:
If you like this Trader Joe’s masala simmer sauce recipe, you’ll love my other easy trader joe’s recipes:
- Easy Trader Joe’s eBook – 25 Insanely Fast Recipes, 10 Ingredients or Less! Just $9.99.
- Trader Joe’s Meatball Sub – Easy, 5 ingredient recipe that the whole family will love.
- 16 On-The-Go Breakfast Items – Grab and go breakfast items, perfect for a nutritious and quick weekday meal.
- Trader Joe’s Breakfast Board – Your family is going to LOVE this one.
- 23 Best Trader Joe’s Frozen Foods – The best
- Trader Joe’s Curry Meatballs – Healthy rice bowls with protein, veggie, and tons of flavor.
- Trader Joe’s Cheese Platter – Options for both $20 and $45 cheese boards, all with TJ ingredients!
Two TJ staples: Trader Joe’s Tikka Masala Sauce and Trader Joe’s lentils – in one delicious recipe! Easy, vegetarian, + full of flavor. Just 3 ingredients!
- 24 oz. Trader Joe’s frozen cauliflower rice
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 16 oz. Trader Joe’s steamed lentils
- 15 oz. Trader Joe’s Masala Simmer Sauce
- sea salt
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add cauliflower rice, and cook as directed, about 3-4 minutes, or until all liquid has evaporated. Season with a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Add lentils to pan, breaking up with hands. Pour in Trader Joe’s Masala Simmer Sauce.
- Add 1 cup water to jar, shake (to get all sauce out) and pour into pan with lentils. Stir to combine, bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 4-5 minutes, until mixture has thickened.
- Serve masala lentils over cauliflower rice. Top with cilantro and salt to taste.
- Cauliflower rice: Use either fresh or frozen cauliflower rice.
- EXTRAS: Serve with naan bread or a dollop of mango chutney.
Keywords: Trader Joe’s Masala Simmer Sauce, Trader Joe’s lentils recipe, Trader Joe’s steamed lentils