Healthy salmon tacos are an easy dinner your whole family will love!
As someone who has a hard time sitting still, maternity leave (complete with parents to help do all of the work!) is a great time to slow down, sit down, and watch tv while cuddling a newborn.
Wait, did you think I was going to say something really intelligent like read books all day?! I wish, but at least I have these healthy salmon tacos to show for it!
So with baby in-hand (or let’s be real, she enjoys her meals on a regular schedule, and is frequently attached to me!), I’m able to take in some really great TV. And when I say great TV, I mean mostly trashy in the form of Real Housewives or Catfish (I don’t know what it is about that show!) and a little educational in the form of Food Network or Cooking Channel.
And the “educational” TV is great for recipe inspiration! I love to watch how other people play with flavors and ingredients in the kitchen – whether its something that I would make myself or not. I think you can definitely learn by watching – and then heading into the kitchen to tinker!
Which is precisely what happened with these healthy salmon tacos. I’ve been wanting to work on a fish taco recipe for quite some time, and all it took was a half-hour with Ina Garten.
I love this recipe because it is based around salmon, which is such a nutritious fish and full of the omega-3’s that most of us need more of. It can be expensive, (I get it) so tacos are a great way to incorporate salmon into a meal. It can stretch a little further because you don’t need a full fillet of fish per person.
Ingredients for Healthy Salmon Tacos
So let me tell you about these healthy salmon tacos. We have seasoned salmon and a cool and crunchy dill slaw that is RIDICULOUS. Let’s top the salmon and slaw with avocado, a sprinkle of good salt (maldon, please!) and we have all of our nutrition bases covered.
Whole grain? Corn tortilla.
Healthy fats? Salmon AND avocado.
Flavor? All of the above.
It’s time for tacos! (And if you love tacos as much as we do, you have to try the breakfast tacos with chipotle sour cream!)
Be sure to tag me on social media (@myeverydaytable or #myeverydaytable) so I can see your creations, it makes my day!
Healthy Salmon Tacos RecipePrint
Healthy Salmon Tacos are an easy dinner your whole family will love!
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (or less if you don’t like spice)
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1 1/4 pounds salmon (wild if possible)
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- 2 avocados, sliced
- salt & pepper
- Mix together sugar, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, and seasoning salt in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle generously and pat rub into salmon.
- While fish is marinating, in a large bowl, whisk together vinegar and mayonnaise. Add in cabbage, cucumber, and dill and season with salt. Set aside in refrigerator.
- Heat medium pan over high heat and oil to pan.
- When oil is hot, add salmon to pan, skin side down.
- Cook for about 4 minutes, then flip over, reduce heat to low and cook for 4 more minutes, or until salmon is cooked through.
- Assemble tacos: heat tortillas (microwave or over gas stove) and layer with coleslaw, salmon, and avocado slices.
- Season with salt if necessary.
- Serving Size: 2 tacos
Keywords: salmon tacos, salmon recipe, salmon dinner