You’ll be making this healthy breakfast tacos recipe again and again! They are so EASY and ready in less than 30 minutes! Make these breakfast egg taco recipe for an easy breakfast, brunch, or even a weeknight dinner (in which case be sure you serve them with my delish virgin margaritas).
This recipe for breakfast tacos is full of good stuff. I’m talking black beans, scrambled eggs, caramelized onions, fresh avocado slices, and, CHIPOTLE SOUR CREAM! It’s pretty much the breakfast dreams are made of and definitely the best breakfast tacos recipe around. And if you like eggs throughout the day (who doesn’t?), they would make a killer lunch or easy weeknight dinner.
While I love all of the components of these tacos, it’s the chipotle sour cream that I want to put on anything and everything. It takes two-minutes to make so don’t even think about leaving it off!
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of Contents
What You’ll Love About Breakfast Tacos
- Delicious combination of flavors
- Easy and simple ingredients
- Nutritious and satisfying
- Great any time of the day
This vegetarian breakfast tacos recipe is made with simple ingredients:
- Onion – I prefer white onions, but yellow or red can also work.
- Butter – Use high quality butter for best flavor.
- Sour cream – Use whatever type of sour cream you prefer. You can also use plain Greek yogurt.
- Chipotle peppers – Look for canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. They are sometimes found in the Hispanic section of grocery stores.
- Eggs – Use high quality eggs for best flavor.
- Salt and pepper
- Tortillas – You can use corn or flour tortillas. I prefer corn here for classic flavor, but you can’t go wrong with flour either.
- Black bean – Use canned black beans or serve them with the best refried black beans.
- Toppings – See a whole list below, and if you want to go basic, don’t skip the cilantro and avocado.
How to Make Breakfast Egg Taco
Homemade breakfast tacos are so easy to make:
- Caramelize the onions. Heat butter in a medium saute pan and caramelize and lightly browned.
- Mix chipotle sour cream. In a small bowl, stir together finely chopped chipotle peppers and stir together with sour cream.
TIP: Add more or less of the sauce, depending on how spicy you want it. More sauce, more spice.
- Scramble eggs. Melt some butter into the pan and then slowly stir the eggs, almost continuously, until they have just set. They will melt in your mouth!
TIP: If you really want creamy eggs, try out this recipe for Anthony Bourdain scrambled eggs – just leave out the bacon and chives. Otherwise, I prefer the low and slow method.
- Heat components. Heat black beans (in microwave or saute pan) and heat tortillas as desired.
TIP: If you are using corn tortillas and you have a gas stove, I highly recommend heating them directly up over a burner. Be careful as they burn quickly. You really need to watch them!
More Toppings for Breakfast Tacos:
I don’t think the breakfast tacos need much more than avocado and cilantro, but mexican egg breakfast recipes can be dressed up or down with toppings. That’s the beauty! So if you want to add a bit more, try some fresh tomatoes or salsa.
- Diced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced grape tomatoes
- Pickled jalapeno peppers
- Favorite salsa or pico de gallo
- Chipotle fajita veggies
- Chipotle corn salsa copycat
Store components in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat eggs just until warmed through and heat beans and tortillas as desired .
How to Serve Breakfast Egg Tacos to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in. 😉
Serve the healthy breakfast tacos recipe family-style letting everyone make their own taco according to their own preferences. My kids tend to go really crazy with taco toppings, and while it’s sometimes difficult to not comment on their (what I think is odd!) concoctions, I don’t say anything.
Some kids might prefer the components separate and that’s also ok.
More Easy Mexican-Ish Recipes
If you like this recipe for breakfast tacos you might also like some of these other easy Mexican-ish recipes:
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa (Chipotle Copycat!)
- Crockpot Salsa Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Easy Steak Quesadillas Recipe
- One Pot Mexican Quinoa
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning?
Hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm because your dinner is already planned.
You’ll be making this egg breakfast tacos recipe on repeat! Easy and perfect for brunch OR weeknight dinners.
- 1/2 onion, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1–2 peppers from a can of chipotles in adobo
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- 15 oz. can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- optional: avocado slices, cilantro
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions to pan. Cook for about 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are lightly browned and caramelized. Set aside and wipe out pan.
- While onions are cooking, finely chop the chipotle peppers (you can basically mash them together) and mix into sour cream in a small bowl. Add some of the sauce from the can as desired and depending on how spicy you want it.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter to nonstick skillet and scramble eggs over medium-low heat, stirring frequently (or constantly) if you want them really creamy.
- Meanwhile, heat beans until hot. (In microwave or small saucepan.)
- Heat tortillas as desired. (In microwave or over gas burner on stove.)
- Assemble tacos: layer beans, eggs, onions, and sour cream on tortillas. Top with avocado and cilantro if desired.
Keywords: breakfast taco recipe, breakfast tacos, breakfast egg taco
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!