You’ll be making this healthy breakfast tacos recipe again and again! They are so EASY and ready in less than 30 minutes! Creamy egg tacos are combined with refried black beans, caramelized onions, and a chipotle sour cream sauce. Top with fresh toppings like avocado and cilantro and serve with an espresso tonic for the perfect brunch menu!
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
- What You'll Love About Breakfast Tacos
- How to Make Egg Tacos
- More Toppings for Breakfast Tacos:
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with Breakfast Tacos
- How to Feed Breakfast Tacos to the Whole Family
- Want More?
- More Easy Mexican-Ish Recipes
- Let me Meal Plan for you!
What You’ll Love About Breakfast Tacos
- Delicious combination of flavors
- Easy and simple ingredients
- Nutritious and satisfying
- Great any time of the day
- Onion – I prefer white onions, but yellow or red can also work.
- Butter – Use high quality butter for best flavor.
- Sour cream – Use whatever type of sour cream you prefer. You can also use plain Greek yogurt.
- Chipotle peppers – Look for canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. They are sometimes found in the Hispanic section of grocery stores.
- Eggs – Use high quality eggs for best flavor.
- Salt and pepper
- Tortillas – You can use corn or flour tortillas. I prefer corn here for classic flavor, but you can’t go wrong with flour either.
- Black bean – Use canned black beans or serve them with the best refried black beans.
- Toppings – See a whole list below, and if you want to go basic, don’t skip the cilantro and avocado.
How to Make Egg Tacos
This is an overview on how to make the best breakfast egg tacos, the detailed instructions can be found below in the recipe card.
More Toppings for Breakfast Tacos:
I don’t think the breakfast tacos need much more than avocado and cilantro, but Mexican egg breakfast recipes can be dressed up or down with toppings. That’s the beauty! So if you want to add a bit more, try some fresh tomatoes or salsa.
- Diced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced grape tomatoes
- Pickled jalapeno peppers
- Favorite salsa or pico de gallo
- Chipotle fajita veggies
- Chipotle corn salsa copycat
Store components in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat eggs just until warmed through and heat beans and tortillas as desired.
What to Serve with Breakfast Tacos
Serve these breakfast tacos with a simple side and a drink:
How to Feed Breakfast Tacos to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in.
Serve the healthy breakfast tacos recipe family-style letting everyone make their own taco according to their own preferences. My kids tend to go really crazy with taco toppings, and while it’s sometimes difficult to not comment on their (what I think is odd!) concoctions, I don’t say anything. Serve the meal with a few items you know your kids will eat, like fruit, milk, and/or bread and butter if they don’t like tortillas.
More Easy Mexican-Ish Recipes
If you like this recipe for breakfast tacos you might also like some of these other easy Mexican-ish recipes:
Let me Meal Plan for you!
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning? It’s time to hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm instead of stressed. Your dinner is planned and your grocery list is made and everything is conveniently delivered to an app so you can print it out, access from your phone, or computer.
These easy breakfast tacos combine eggs, black beans, caramelized onions, and a slightly spicy chipotle sour cream sauce. YUM!
- 1/2 onion, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1–2 peppers from a can of chipotles in adobo
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- 15 oz. can of refried black beans or make your own refried black beans
- optional: avocado slices, cilantro
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of the butter in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions to pan. Cook for about 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are lightly browned and caramelized. Set aside and wipe out pan.
- While onions are cooking, finely chop the chipotle peppers (you can basically mash them together) and mix into sour cream in a small bowl. Add some of the sauce from the can as desired and depending on how spicy you want it.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter to nonstick skillet and scramble eggs over medium-low heat, stirring frequently (or constantly) if you want them really creamy.
- Meanwhile, heat beans until hot. (In microwave or small saucepan.)
- Heat tortillas as desired. (In microwave or over gas burner on stove.)
- Assemble tacos: layer beans, eggs, onions, and sour cream on tortillas. Top with avocado and cilantro if desired.
Keywords: chipotle sour cream, egg tacos, breakfast tacos,
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!