You’ll be making this healthy breakfast tacos recipe again and again! They are so EASY and ready in less than 30 minutes! Perfect for brunch or a weeknight dinner.
Tacos in Southern California are kind of a way of life. We love our street tacos, we love our hipster tacos, we love tacos with strange (aka brain, stomach, etc.) meats and we love tacos at anytime of the day – breakfast included!
This recipe for breakfast recipe is full of good stuff. I’m talking black beans, scrambled eggs, caramelized onions, fresh avocado slices, and, CHIPOTLE SOUR CREAM! It’s pretty much the breakfast dreams are made of and definitely the best breakfast tacos recipe around. And if you like eggs throughout the day (who doesn’t?), they would make a killer lunch or easy weeknight dinner.
While I love all of the components of these tacos, it’s the chipotle sour cream that I want to put on anything and everything. It takes two-minutes to make so don’t even think about leaving it off!
How to Make Breakfast Tacos Recipe:
Homemade breakfast tacos are so easy.
First step is to caramelize the onions. This adds major flavor to the breakfast tacos recipe. Normally it takes closer to 20-30 minutes to fully caramelize onions, but these still get great flavor from a shorter cooking time.
Then we scramble the eggs. If you really want creamy eggs, try out this recipe for Anthony Bourdain scrambled eggs – just leave out the bacon and chives. Otherwise, I prefer the low and slow method. Melt some butter into the pan and then slowly stir the eggs, almost continuously, until they have just set. They will melt in your mouth!
Lastly, it’s heating and compiling. You can heat the beans in the microwave or stove. As for the corn tortillas, if you have a gas stove, I highly recommend heating them up over a burner. Be careful as they burn quickly. You really need to watch them!
Just don’t forget the chipotle sour cream, see more about that below.
I told you! This breakfast tacos recipe is easy, easy.
Chipotle Sour Cream Ingredients:
Are you ready for this one? Chipotle sour cream is made of canned chipotles in adobo and sour cream.
That’s it! Canned chipotles in adobo are packed with so much amazing, smoky flavor, and every time I use them, I wonder why I don’t use them more often. As I mentioned above, don’t even think about leaving this off.
More Toppings for Breakfast Tacos:
I don’t think the breakfast tacos need much more than avocado and cilantro, but mexican egg breakfast recipes can be dressed up or down with toppings. That’s the beauty! So if you want to add a bit more, try some fresh tomatoes or salsa.
- Diced avocado
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced grape tomatoes
- Pickled jalapeno peppers
- Favorite salsa or pico de gallo
More Easy Mexican Recipes:
So obviously I have a thing for Mexican(ish) food. Maybe it’s a BIG thing. Try some of these other popular recipes below if you can relate to the obsession.
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa (Chipotle Copycat!) – Easiest way to make barbacoa!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls – Everything you love about a chicken burrito, served up in a convenient bowl.
- Easy Steak Quesadillas Recipe – This easy and delicious dinner is ready in 30 minutes.
- One Pot Mexican Quinoa – Nutritious quinoa is packed with mexican flavor in this simple one pot meal!
- Mexican Street Corn Crostini – Old post, but great recipe! This is a favorite.
Be sure to let me know if you make these, I want to see your creations! Tag me on instagram (@myeverydaytable) and leave a star rating below!Print
You’ll be making this breakfast tacos recipe again and again! They are so EASY and ready in less than 30 minutes! Perfect for brunch or a weeknight dinner.
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1–2 peppers from a can of chipotles in adobo
- 1/2 onion, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1–15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- optional: avocado slices, cilantro
- Finely chop the chipotle peppers (you can basically mash them together) and mix into sour cream.
- Add some of the sauce from the can as desired and depending on how spicy you want it.
- Heat medium sauté pan over medium heat and add 1/2 tablespoon of butter and onions to pan.
- Cook for about 7-9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are lightly browned and caramelized.
- Set onions aside and wipe out pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and season with salt and pepper.
- Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter to pan and scramble eggs over medium-low heat, stirring frequently (or constantly) if you want them really creamy.
- Meanwhile, heat beans until hot. (In microwave or small saucepan.)
- Heat tortillas as desired. (In microwave or over gas burner on stove.)
- Assemble tacos: layer beans, eggs, onions, and sour cream on tortillas. Top with avocado and cilantro if desired.
Keywords: breakfast taco recipe, breakfast tacos