You guysssssssss. Is there anything better than a hot batch of apple monkey bread? I’m so glad you asked, because the answer is 100% NO. This apple cinnamon monkey bread is a delicious way to start a weekend or holiday morning and is a perfect recipe to get your kids to help with. You’re going to love this classic with the addition of apples!
If you’re anything like my family of apple lovers, you’ll want to try my apple cinnamon pancakes, Honeycrisp apple butter, pressure cooker apple sauce, healthy apple muffins, apple oatmeal bars, and chicken salad with apples and grapes next time.
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About Apple Monkey Bread
- How to Make Apple Monkey Bread VIDEO
- Apple Cinnamon Monkey Bread Ingredients
- How to Make Apple Monkey Bread
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with Apple Monkey Bread
- More Brunch Recipes
- Helpful Tools to Make Easy Apple Monkey Bread
I’m so excited to partner with Honeybear Pazazz apples to bring you this recipe for apple pie monkey bread
that’s insanely delicious with an apple boost! (sponsored)
Apples are a year-round staple for us for meals and snacking and now we get to swirl cozy apple flavors into oatmeal, yogurt, and even coffee! We’re using the best apples… Honeybear Pazazz apples in this apple cinnamon monkey bread recipe. Created right here in Minnesota, the Pazazz apple is a relative of the Honeycrisp that’s sweet, tart, and super crunchy. They are delicious!
Minnesota locals, you can find Pazazz apples at Cub, Aldi, and Lunds & Byerlys.
What You’ll Love About Apple Monkey Bread
- Special and fun holiday or weekend breakfast
- Sweet with a boost of apples and lots of warm cinnamon flavor
- SO easy, great recipe to cook with kids
- Made with simple ingredients
- Just 10 minutes to prep (Might be more if kids are helping!)
How to Make Apple Monkey Bread VIDEO
Apple Cinnamon Monkey Bread Ingredients
This apple bull apart bread with biscuits is made with just 6 simple ingredients:
- Pazazz Apples – If you aren’t familiar with Pazazz apples, you’ll want to get acquainted! They are sweet, tart, and SUPER crunchy! Grab some extras for snacking.
- Butter – Use any unsalted butter
- Biscuits – Use pre-made, refrigerated, canned biscuits. You can really use any variety.
- Sugar – Use white granulated sugar.
- Cinnamon – Use high quality cinnamon for best flavor.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – I know this might seem odd, but it’s actually the same spices you would use in apple pie! You can also use apple pie spice.
How to Make Apple Monkey Bread
This apple monkey bread recipe is easy to make and it’s great one to make with the kiddos, they can really help with almost every single step.
- Prep apples. Peel and thinly slice apples. Roughly chop into small pieces and set aside in a small bowl.
- Prep biscuits. Cut biscuit dough into quarters.
- Mix cinnamon sugar. In a medium bowl, stir together sugar, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Layer apple cinnamon monkey bread in bundt pan. Sprinkle a thin layer of apples on the bottom of the pan. Dip dough pieces first into melted butter and then toss into cinnamon sugar mixture to coat. Add coated biscuit piece to 8-cup bundt pan and layer biscuits and apples until you’ve used all of the ingredients.
TIP: Don’t stress about having extra ingredients, especially if you’re making this with kids. The amounts of butter and cinnamon sugar can vary, but this recipe is very forgiving and doesn’t need to be perfect.
- Bake monkey bread. Bake monkey bread until outside is golden brown and inside is no longer doughy.
- Serve. Let monkey bread cool in pan for 5 minutes, then place a plate or platter over the top to invert onto serving plate.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is it called monkey bread?
This apple cinnamon roll monkey bread gets it name because it’s a “finger food” – “the consumer would pick apart the bread as a monkey bread.” (source)
How do you know when monkey bread is done?
The cooking time will vary a bit, but a good rule of thumb is when the exterior is golden brown and while the interior is not doughy any longer. You can insert a toothpick or wooden skewer into the center and if it comes out clean, it should be cooked through.
How long is monkey bread good for?
Monkey bread is best served fresh. If you have leftovers, you can store it for a few days, but make sure to reheat it before serving to freshen it up a bit or it will seem a little hard and dry.
What can I use instead of a Bundt pan for monkey bread?
If you don’t have a bundt pan, you can easily make an apple monkey bread loaf. Use a loaf pan, cake pan, or you can even make monkey bread muffins by placing the biscuit and apple mixture into silicone muffin pan or a traditional muffin pan lined with muffin liners.
How do you eat monkey bread?
When the monkey bread comes out of the oven, let it cool, then flip onto a plate or serving platter. It’s now ready to dig in! You can pull apart this bread with your hands, or use a pie server or large fork to transfer a section of monkey bread onto a plate and serve.
I think monkey bread is best day-of, but you can keep it for a day or so or in the fridge for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat the monkey bread in a 350 degree F oven until warm.
Can you freeze monkey bread?
Yes, you can also freeze monkey bread for 2-3 months in an airtight container (stasher bags or glass storage containers work well). Thaw at room temperature and reheat before serving.
What to Serve with Apple Monkey Bread
If you’ve seen any of my videos on feeding kids, you know I like to serve sweet and fun breakfasts like this apple monkey bread bites with a protein to help keep blood sugar levels steady. (I always recommend just putting these items out and letting your kids choose what they would like, no need to pressure them or imply that monkey bread isn’t “healthy” and they need to eat it with something “healthy.”
- Breakfast Meat – Breakfast sausage, bacon, or Canadian bacon
- Eggs – Scrambled eggs with sour cream, hard boiled eggs, or mini frittata egg cups
More Brunch Recipes
If you like this recipe for monkey bread with apples, you might also like some of these other easy brunch recipes:
- Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Salmon Lox and Bagels
- Greek Yogurt Breakfast Parfait
- Bacon Egg and Cheese Bagel
- Cold Foam Coffee
It’s 5pm. Are you still trying to figure out what’s for dinner?
Menu Plans by My Everyday Table can help you out.
The plan addresses three major issues when it comes to weeknight dinners: having a plan, time, and one family meal.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and feel calm when 5pm hits because your dinner is already planned.
Helpful Tools to Make Easy Apple Monkey Bread
- Bundt Pan – This is the modern bundt pan that I used for this apple fritter monkey bread.
- Kids Knife – Have your little ones help you make this apple cinnamon pull-apart bread.
Apple Monkey Bread Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
We updated an old classic with a fresh take and it turned out DELICIOUS! This apple monkey bread is perfect for weekend and holiday breakfasts.
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 lb. Pazazz apples (about 2–3 medium-large apples)
- 2 cans (16.3 oz.) refrigerated biscuits
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (or apple pie spice)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel and thinly slice apples. Roughly chop into small pieces. (The smaller the better!)
- Cut biscuits into quarters.
- In a medium bowl, stir together sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of apples into bottom of bundt pan.
- Dip biscuits into melted butter and then dip into cinnamon sugar mixture and place into greased bundt pan, adding layers of apples to the biscuits.
- Bake monkey bread for 30-40 minutes, until outside is golden brown and inside is no longer doughy. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then place a plate or platter over the top of the bundt pan and carefully flip over to invert onto serving plate.
- Don’t worry if you have some extras, it will depend on how heavy handed you are with butter, sugar, etc. and this recipe is incredibly forgiving, so don’t stress!
- Cooking with kids may increase prep time a bit. 😉
Keywords: apple monkey bread, apple cinnamon monkey bread
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!
Did you like this recipe? Please leave a review and let me know what you thought! I appreciate it so much.