If you’ve seen the viral upside down puff pastry recipes, but never given them a try, this is your sign! Instead of the typical sweet route, I combined savory pork sausage, gruyere cheese, and fresh thyme for an elevated tart that is truly delicious any time of day. Pro tip: throw a fried egg on top!
This puff pastry tart recipe is brought to you proudly in partnership with Jones Dairy Farm. I’m excited to partner with them again in 2023-2024, because we’ve used and loved their products for years and they show up on our table week after week. (If you’ve ever seen my Costco hauls, you’ve seen me recommend their chicken sausages in BULK!)
This recipe features the delicious Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Patties. When I’m looking for high-quality breakfast proteins, I choose Jones Dairy Farm because I love that they are a local family business, picky about their ingredients and methods, and most of all, because we love the way they taste. The pork sausage is INCREDIBLE! The pork patties are fully cooked, so they take just a few minutes to prepare, making them an easy option for weekdays and weekends alike. They are also Certified Gluten-Free, allergen friendly, and made with all-natural ingredients which is especially helpful for families that need to pay close attention to ingredients and allergens.
Be sure to check out the other helpful posts brought to you in partnership with Jones Dairy Farm: easy breakfast for dinner ideas, sausage breakfast burritos, 5-minute breakfast board for kids, breakfast taquitos, and, of course, my easy protein hack for kids.
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
What You’ll Love About Upside Down Puff Pastry Tart
- Tastes delicious
- Rich and satisfying
- Light and flaky pastry
- Perfect anytime of day
- Ready in 30 minutes
- Made with just 5 ingredients
- Each pastry has more than 15 grams of protein
Viral Upside Down Puff Pastry Tart Video
- Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Patties – These quick-cooking sausage patties are high-quality, taste amazing, and have 4 grams of protein per patty. You can find them in the breakfast section of the freezer aisle at your local store.
- Puff pastry – Use a premade puff pastry dough to make this easy or make your own if you prefer. You can find it at most grocery stores in the freezer aisle.
- Gruyere cheese – The gruyere adds a really nice balance of flavor, but you could also use another shredded cheese with robust flavor like Parmesan cheese.
- Egg – This is for the egg wash to ensure our pastry is golden brown.
- Thyme – This is a really nice addition that pairs well with the pork sausage, but could also be easily omitted if you prefer not to include it. I recommend fresh thyme if you’re going to use it.
How to Make Upside Down Puff Pastry Tart
This is an overview on how to make the viral upside down puff pastry tart, the detailed instructions can be found below in the recipe card.
Store tarts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat sausage tarts in a 350 degree F oven for best results. Microwaving is not recommended.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
If you like this breakfast sandwich recipe, you might also like these other easy breakfast recipes:
- High Protein Meal Prep Breakfast
- Toast (Ricotta toast, avocado toast, pb toast, or hummus toast!)
- Acai Bowl
- Homemade Brown Sugar Oatmeal
You’ve got to try this savory sausage upside-down puff pastry tart! This elevated tart is truly delicious any time of day.
- 1 puff pastry sheet (about 8 oz.)
- 1 package Jones Dairy Farm Pork Sausage patties
- 5 oz. gruyere cheese, freshly shredded
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
Thaw puff pastry sheet and cut into 6 rectangles.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Thaw sausage patties according to package instructions. (Since we’re baking them, I gently heat in the microwave to thaw.)
Whisk egg and water together in a small bowl. Set aside for egg wash.
- Assemble tarts. Place sausage down on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Top with shredded cheese, fresh thyme, and a piece of puff pastry. Crimp edges of puff pastry down with a fork.
- Brush with egg wash and bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown. Let rest for about 2-3 minutes before eating.
Keywords: upside down puff pastry, upside down puff pastry recipes, upside down puff pastry tart
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!