One taste of this air fryer bone-in chicken breast and we were hooked! It has all of the flavor of a comforting roasted chicken with crispy skin, without all the work, AND it cooks in just 20 minutes. No dry chicken here! Season the bone-in chicken breast very simply or with your favorite seasoning blend or herbs, pop into the air fryer and dinner is just about ready. Serve with a carb like air fryer pita chips and napa cabbage slaw, haricot verts, or air fryer cauliflower and broccoli on the side. And if you find yourself with leftovers, make my chicken salad with grapes and apples!
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About Air Fryer Bone-In Chicken Breast
- How to Make Air Fryer Bone-In Chicken Breasts
- Storage Instructions
- How to Serve Air Fried Split Chicken Breast to the Whole Family
- What to Serve with Bone-In Chicken Breasts
- More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
What You’ll Love About Air Fryer Bone-In Chicken Breast
- You’ll get super juicy chicken breasts
- Tastes like roasted chicken, but cooks fast
- Just 2 minutes prep time
- Just 20 minutes cook time
- Just 3 simple ingredients
- Easy to meal-prep
You need just 3 ingredients to make this air fryer bone-in chicken breast recipe:
- Split chicken breasts – Look for bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts for maximum flavor. Get the highest quality chicken you can. Split breasts are great as cooking the breast with the bone helps keep it flavorful and juicy.
- Olive oil – Use a high quality olive oil for best flavor. You could also use a mild cooking oil like avocado oil.
- Seasoning salt – I love using seasoning salt for a little extra flavor, but you could also use regular sea salt and black pepper. You could season the chicken with garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, Chinese 5-Spice, Old Bay Seasoning, a dry rub with chili powder, cumin, and oregano, or any other of your favorite seasonings.
How to Make Air Fryer Bone-In Chicken Breasts
Let’s get to this air fryer bone-in chicken breast! Here’s how we make it:
- Preheat air fryer. This helps to create a crispy exterior and jumpstart the cooking.
- Season chicken. Pat chicken dry with paper towel and then drizzle raw chicken breasts with olive oil on both sides and sprinkle with seasoning salt, coating all sides of the chicken.
- Air fry chicken breast. Place bone-in chicken breasts skin-side down into the air fryer basket in a single layer with space between so the hot air touches entire piece. Cook until chicken breasts reach an internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F with an instant read thermometer, flipping half way through with tongs. TIP: Insert thermometer in the thickest part of chicken!
- Rest chicken. Loosely tent cooked chicken with aluminum foil and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
NOTE: Exact cooking time will depend on the size of your chicken breasts and your air fryer, but it’s typically between 20-30 minutes. My chicken breasts were almost a pound each for reference.
Store leftover chicken pieces in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat the chicken in the air fryer basket for best results, but you can also microwave or bake in a 350 degree F oven. Be careful to not overcook as it will dry out the chicken.
Can you freeze roasted chicken?
Yes, you can definitely freeze this chicken in an airtight container in the freezer for 2-3 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.
How to Serve Air Fried Split Chicken Breast to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in. 😉
My family loved this basic chicken – bone-in and skin-on chicken has so much flavor on it’s own! If your kids are still learning to like cooked chicken breasts, be sure to start with a tiny portion and feel free to add fun dips like ranch, bbq sauce, or ketchup to help make the chicken more enticing.
What to Serve with Bone-In Chicken Breasts
All this air fryer chicken breast recipe needs is a simple side dish or two. Here are a few of my favorites to try:
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
If you like this air fryer chicken recipe, you might also like some of these other easy air fryer dinner recipes:
- Air Fryer Juicy Turkey Breast
- Air Fryer Mahi Mahi
- Air Fryer Frozen Salmon
- Air Fryer Italian Sausages
- Air Fryer Brats
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning?
Hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm because your dinner is already planned.
One taste of this air fryer bone-in chicken breast and we were hooked! It has the comforting flavor of roasted chicken, but it cooks in just 20 minutes.
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts (about 2 lbs)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. seasoning salt
- Preheat air fryer.
- Drizzle chicken with olive oil on both sides and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
- Place in air fryer basket skin-side down.
- Cook at 380 degrees F for 10 minutes, flip over, and cook another 10-15 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches at least 165 degrees F.
- Exact cooking temperature will vary based on breast size and air fryer. Use a meat thermometer to ensure chicken is cooked properly.
Keywords: air fryer bone in chicken breast, bone in chicken breast air fryer, split chicken breast air fryer
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!