How do we make the ULTIMATE veggie burger? We add ALL of the veggie burger toppings! Whether you’re a vegetarian or a meat-eater, the secret to a satisfying and flavorful veggie burger is serving them with a slew of toppings. A veggie burger on a bun with nothing else? Sad!
Most store-bought veggie burgers are a blank canvas, ready for toppings that bring the flavor and texture. And even the meat-eaters can enjoy these burgers.
This veggie burger serving suggestions post was originally published in July 2018, and updated in June 2021 to include even MORE toppings for a veggie burger and new pictures and video.
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love about Ultimate Veggie Burgers
- Ingredients You’ll Need for Fully Loaded Veggie Burgers
- How to Make Veggie Burgers Better
- Best Veggie Burger Toppings
- How to Store Leftover Vegetarian Burgers
- How to Serve Veggie Burgers to the Whole Family
- Veggie Burger Sides
- More Vegetarian Recipes
- Pin the ultimate list of veggie burger toppings for later!
What You’ll Love about Ultimate Veggie Burgers
I’m a meat person when it comes to burgers because veggie burgers are rarely satisfying enough for me. But then I figured it out. Veggie burgers are a blank canvas. They need some delicious, satisfying toppings to turn themselves into a delicious, satisfying meal. It’s really less about the burger…
It’s really ALLLLLL about the toppings. So I’m here to just share this PSA for making all of your veggie burgers, LOADED VEGGIE BURGERS from here on out.
- Quick meal that comes together in less than 30 minutes
- Vegetarian and vegan friendly
- Delicious and satisfying
- Easy to serve family style and let everyone build their own
Ingredients You’ll Need for Fully Loaded Veggie Burgers
- Veggie burgers – We’re using premade veggie burgers here as a kitchen shortcut, but you can also make your own if you prefer. Up to you! Also, depending on the veggie burger, I like to double them up for serving. Many commercial veggie burgers are fairly low in calories, so serving two turns it into more of a meal.
- Buns – Go with a classic burger bun, one with sesame seeds, or a brioche bun for a slightly sweet flavor.
- Condiments – Put out all the classic condiments (ketchup, mustard, mayo, etc.).
- Toppings – This is the fun part! Decide on your toppings for a veggie burger and put them out!
- Sides – See below for some ideas on what to serve with veggie burgers.
How to Make Veggie Burgers Better
Want veggie burgers that are actually satisfying? A sad veggie burger in between a bun is not going to be delicious OR satisfying.
Adding a few (or as many as you like!) toppings to your veggie burgers makes them more filling AND taste way better with different flavors and textures.
Best Veggie Burger Toppings
Ahhhhhh, it’s time to answer the what to put on a veggie burger question!!! I have the veggie burger topping ideas broken down by type and tried to capture them all, but leave a comment if I missed any!
I’ve found that you want a combination of a sauce, cheese, and some veggies for the most satisfying veggie burgers.
Veggie Burger Sauce Ideas
- Garlic mayo
- Smoked paprika aioli
- Burger sauce (Find the recipe in these In-N-Out burgers)
- Salsa ranch
- Chipotle ranch
Best Cheese for Veggie Burgers
- American (for classic)
- Pepper jack
- Blue (crumbled or sliced from the deli counter)
- Vegan cheese
Vegetable Topping Ideas for Veggie Burgers
- Shredded cabbage/coleslaw
- Raw onion
- Caramelized onion
- Sliced radish
How to Store Leftover Vegetarian Burgers
Store leftover veggie burgers separately from toppings and refrigerate everything for 1-2 days.
Veggie burgers are best reheated in a hot skillet or 375 degrees F oven so that they crisp up and don’t end up mushy.
How to Serve Veggie Burgers to the Whole Family
Veggie burger ideas like this one are great for a family meal, because everyone can add their own toppings as desired. It’s a perfect one family meal – you put out the food, let the kids decide what to put on their veggie burgers. No need to pressure them, and no need to stress if they don’t add the toppings that you wish they would. 😉
Veggie Burger Sides
Wondering what to eat with veggie burgers? I’ve got you covered!
- French fries – Sweet potato, regular potatoes, tater tots….the choices are endless.
- Potato chips – Always an easy, summer option.
- Salad recipes – Simple salads like Greek chickpea salad, napa cabbage coleslaw, or quick pickled cucumber salad all pair well with veggie burgers.
- Fresh fruit – Serve up some sliced watermelon, berries, or other fruit.
More Vegetarian Recipes
If you liked this recipe for ultimate veggie burgers, you may also like some of these other vegetarian recipes:
- Cuban Black Beans and Rice – Made with humble ingredients, but not lacking in flavor! This filling meal satisfies meat eaters!
- Easy Naan Pizzas – Another quick, easy, customizable, and family-friendly meal idea. These pizzas are ready to eat in 10 minutes!
- Pasta with Spring Vegetables – Spring veggies like asparagus, leeks, and peas are tossed in a creamy sauce that’s reminiscent of pasta primavera. Easy and perfect way to enjoy spring produce.
- Molletes – Layer, bake, and top! This simple sandwich is made with French bread, a layer of refried beans, some cheese- baked – and then topped with fresh toppings. Don’t underestimate them!
All the veggie burger toppings you need to make the ULTIMATE veggie burger that satisfies every one (meat eaters included!). Ready in 15 min.
- 4–8 favorite veggie burgers (see notes)
- 4 slices cheese
- 1 tomato
- 4 slices butter lettuce
- 4 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 4 hamburger buns
- Cook veggie burgers according to package instructions, adding sliced cheese when they are a few minutes away from being done.
- Prep veggie burger toppings.
- While burgers are cooking, heat large non-stick pan over medium heat. Spread hamburger buns with a thin layer of mayonnaise and place mayo-side down onto hot pan. Cook for a few minutes, until buns are golden brown and slightly crisp.
- Layer veggie burgers with desired toppings.
- I like to serve veggie burgers doubled up if they are lower in calories.
- See veggie burger topping ideas in the post above.
- Nutrition facts are for a basic veggie burger, bun, mayonnaise, lettuce, and tomato.
Keywords: veggie burger toppings, ultimate veggie burger