Love egg rolls? Then you’ve got to try this quick and easy dinner that takes all the flavor from egg rolls, but skips the wrapper and serves it up as a stir fry instead. This easy egg roll-in-a-bowl recipe comes together with just a few ingredients from Trader Joe’s and 10 minutes, thanks to two big shortcuts (coleslaw mix and Gyoza sauce). Serve over rice or with your favorite Asian appetizers. Moo shu shrimp, chicken teriyaki, or ground turkey stir fry are other easy and delicious stir fry recipes you might want to try next. 🙂
If you’re here because you’re a Trader Joe’s super fan, be sure to check out my easy trader joe’s recipes like chicken shawarma hummus bowls, street corn carnitas flat bread, easy fish tacos, vegetarian nachos, tikka masala lentils, or pollo asado quinoa bowls.
Turn a bag of Trader Joe’s groceries into dinner!
Download your FREE 5-day dinner plan + grocery list.
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
- Turn a bag of Trader Joe's groceries into dinner!
- What is Egg Roll in a Bowl?
- What You'll Love About Ground Pork Egg Roll in a Bowl
- How to Make Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with Egg Roll in a Bowl
- How to Feed Egg Roll in a Bowl to the Whole Family
- Want More?
- More Easy Stir Fry Recipes
- Let me Meal Plan for you!
What is Egg Roll in a Bowl?
This easy recipe for egg roll in a bowl takes the flavors of the inside of an egg roll and turns them into a stir fry instead of rolling them into egg roll wrappers.
It’s a super simple meal, totally delicious, and this version is made with ingredients from Trader Joe’s. Try it for a quick dinner or make it ahead for an easy-to-pack meal prep meal.
What You’ll Love About Ground Pork Egg Roll in a Bowl
- Delicious and nutritious dinner
- So much flavor!
- Great source of veggies and protein
- Made with simple ingredients
- Utilizes shortcuts to help get this on the table fast
- Just 10 minutes cook time and total time
- Ingredients can all be picked up at Trader Joe’s (or not!)
- Vegetable oil – Use your favorite vegetable oil like canola or avocado oil. You could also use sesame oil for even more flavor.
- Ground pork – While the recipe is written with ground pork, you could really use any ground meat like ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground beef.
- Coleslaw mix – This egg roll in a bowl with coleslaw mix is the best shortcut to save you lots of chopping time.
- Goyza dipping sauce – You can also use your favorite teriyaki sauce. To make a gluten-free version, mix up a simple sauce with tamari or coconut aminos, fresh ginger, rice vinegar, and a bit of honey or maple syrup.
- Extras – While you don’t need these, if you have them around, feel free to add them! Garnish with thinly sliced green onions, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes, and/or sriracha are all delicious additions.
How to Make Egg Roll in a Bowl
This is an overview on how to make egg roll in a bowl stir fry, the detailed instructions can be found below in the recipe card.
Do I have to shop at Trader Joe’s?
No! You can make egg roll in a bowl from any store. The goyza dipping sauce is from Trader Joe’s, but you can really use any Asian stir-fry sauce OR make your own.
Do I have to make this with ground pork?
No! You can really use any ground meat – ground turkey, chicken, and beef would all work. I don’t recommend 99% fat-free, as it doesn’t have as delicious flavor and it’s very easy to overcook and will taste dry.
How many calories in egg roll in a bowl?
The full nutrition stats can be found below the recipe, but there are an estimated 379 calories per serving, which is why I recommend adding a side or two – it’s not really enough for a full meal!
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat this healthy egg roll in a bowl in the microwave or a hot skillet until heated through.
Can you freeze egg roll in a bowl?
Yes, you can freeze leftover egg roll in a bowl for 2-3 months. Let thaw overnight before reheating in the microwave or a hot skillet until heated through.
What to Serve with Egg Roll in a Bowl
I believe that the origins of this meal came from a desire to have egg roll flavors in a low-carb form. I’m not low carb, but I love these flavors (and love how simple this meal is!) so I serve it with carbs. 🙂 You can serve with:
- Rice or cauliflower rice
- Potstickers or dirty gyoza
- Wonton soup
- Asian-style appetizers (wontons, egg rolls, etc.)
How to Feed Egg Roll in a Bowl to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in.
I would recommend serving a small portion in a pinch bowl (taster bowl) if it’s a new or learning-to-like it food. Serve the meal with a few items you know your kids will eat, like fruit, milk, and/or bread and butter. My kids have always loved this meal as it’s a delicious stir fry!
More Easy Stir Fry Recipes
If you like this egg roll in a bowl recipe, you might also like some of these other easy stir fry recipes:
Let me Meal Plan for you!
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning? It’s time to hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm instead of stressed. Your dinner is planned and your grocery list is made and everything is conveniently delivered to an app so you can print it out, access from your phone, or computer.
Love egg rolls? This recipe for egg roll in a bowl is for you! Dinner comes together in just 10 mins, thanks to a coleslaw mix shortcut.
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 16 oz. ground pork (80% lean)
- 2 9-oz. packages shredded coleslaw mix*
- 1/4 cup Goyza dipping sauce
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet or wok.
- Add pork to pan and break up with the back of a spatula. Cook until lightly browned, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add coleslaw mix to pan and 1/4 cup of goyza sauce. Toss to combine and cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage wilts, about 3-4 minutes.
- Season with salt to taste and serve with extra goyza sauce if desired.
- EXTRAS: sliced green onions, sesame seeds, hot sauce (chinese mustard or sriracha).
- COLESLAW: use 1 1/2-2 packages, depending on how big your pan is! It will wilt down quickly, and the more cabbage you add, the more you can stretch this meal.
- SERVE WITH: rice if desired.
Keywords: recipe for egg roll in a bowl, egg roll in a bowl recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!