This EASY pepper steak stir fry recipe comes together in just 30 minutes and it’s better than take-out! It’s got everything I look for in a meal (from a nutrition standpoint): carbs, veggies, protein, and FLAVOR! Your whole family will love this recipe for pepper steak stir fry (it’s my husband’s FAVE!).
How to Make Pepper Steak Stir Fry:
This Chinese pepper steak stir fry recipe comes together in just 30 minutes, making it perfect for weeknight dinners. Here’s how to make it:
PRO TIP: Freeze steak for 30 minutes or so to make it easier to slice. Slice it against the grain.
KITCHEN SHORTCUT: Use frozen or pureed garlic and ginger to cut down on prep.
- Make sauce. Stir together garlic, ginger, brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and cornstarch until smooth.
- Stir fry peppers. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet (the largest you have!) and stir fry peppers for about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir fry steak. Heat remaining vegetable oil in the same skillet and add steak to skillet. Season with sea salt and black pepper and cook until steak is browned, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Finish recipe for pepper steak stir fry. Add peppers and soy sauce back to skillet and stir frequently, cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until sauce is thick and glossy.
- Serve. Serve pepper steak stir fry over rice.
Recipe for Pepper Steak Stir Fry FAQs:
What’s in pepper steak stir fry sauce?
This recipe for pepper steak stir fry sauce is simple and made with ingredients that you probably already have:
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Rice wine vinegar
- Sesame oil
Can you make pepper steak stir fry without cornstarch?
Yes, you can omit the cornstarch if you like, the sauce will not be as thick and glossy like it is as Chinese restaurants, but will still be full of flavor.
Is pepper steak stir fry healthy?
Yes! You can read all about my disdain for the is it healthy question, but this meal has protein, veggies, carbs, and FLAVOR – everything you need in a meal. The full nutrition stats can be found below the recipe card.
Is beef pepper stir fry Chinese?
Pepper steak is a Chinese-American dish that consists of sliced beef, sliced bell peppers, bamboo shoots and a soy sauce-based sauce. It originated from Fujian cuisine, where pork was originally used and the seasonings a bit lighter. The American adaptation dates back to 1948.
How to Store Leftover Pepper and Steak Stir Fry:
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Reheat the stir fry in the microwave, or for best results, in a hot skillet, just until heated through.
How to Serve Pepper Steak Stir Fry to the Whole Family:
I like to serve this pepper steak stir fry with rice, but you can also serve it with noodles if you prefer. I would use a longer noodle like spaghetti or a flat noodle like linguine or Pad Thai noodles.
For younger kids who don’t like their food touching, serve rice/carb separate from the stir fry. For my kids, I cut up the steak in small pieces and peppers. If they aren’t into the meal, use my one family meal strategy of serving some milk and/or fruit on the side. And if they don’t like veggies, serve a tiny piece of the peppers.
Beef Pepper Steak Stir Fry Nutrition + Substitutes:
If you want to swap out any of the ingredients and toppings, here are a few ways you can add even more nutrition into this meal:
Wondering about pepper steak stir fry calories? You can find full nutrition stats below the recipe card, but each serving has 333 calories. (Not including rice.)
- Gluten-free: Use tamari instead of soy sauce to make this recipe gluten-free.
- More veggies: Instead of serving the stir fry over rice, serve it over cauliflower rice.
- Steak: You can use a different cut of steak, but you’ll want to make sure you are using a tender cut of meat so it doesn’t end up tough. You could also use ground beef in this stir-fry recipe. You may need to adjust cooking time a bit, but they will all work. The flank steak from my Moink Box was perfectly tender!
More Asian-Ish Recipes:
If you like this recipe for pepper steak stir fry, you might also like some of these other Asian-inspired recipes:
- Healthy Orange Chicken – Ready in 30 minutes and made with everyday ingredients. This is a family favorite!
- Thai Beef Noodle Stir Fry – Noodles, ground beef, fresh toppings and a zippy lime sauce. Make it all in just 20 minutes.
- Ground Pork Stir Fry – This satisfying stir fry is topped with an addicting peanut sauce and all ready in just 20 minutes.
- Asian Shrimp Noodles – Shrimp is stir fried and served over noodles with tons of fresh toppings and tossed together with a flavorful sauce. Light and refreshing, yet satisfying enough for dinner.
Helpful Tools to Make Chinese Pepper Steak Stir Fry Recipe:
- Chef Knife – The BEST knife ever that will make slicing peppers and steak easy.
- 12″ Skillet – This large skillet has tall sides which help keep food in the pan. I don’t have a wok, so whenever I’m making a stir fry, this is the one I use.
EASY pepper steak stir fry recipe is ready in 30 minutes! My recipe for pepper steak stir fry is made ingredients you probably already have.
- Prep ingredients:
Prepare rice according to package instructions.
Slice bell peppers.
Slice flank steak against the grain in ¼ inch slices. **Freeze for 30 min to make this easy
- Mix up sauce. Whisk together minced garlic, ginger, brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet or wok. Add peppers and ¼ teaspoon salt to skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes. Transfer peppers to a plate.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet or wok. Add steak and remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper to skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes, until browned.
- Add peppers and soy sauce mixture to pan and stir occasionally, cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- Serve peppers and steak over rice.
- Nutrition facts do not include rice.
- If you like it spicy, add 1/2-1 sliced jalapeno.
Keywords: pepper steak stir fry, pepper steak stir fry recipe, recipe for pepper steak stir fry