Weeknight dinners at my house must be fast, satisfying, and nutritious! Yours too? I thought so… And while this ground beef and broccoli recipe is all of those things, it also combines two of my weeknight dinner strategies for getting dinner on the table fast: ground meat and stir fry. This easy rice bowl recipe takes just 10 minutes to prep and 10 minutes to cook and it’s been a big hit in my weeknight dinner club group!
What Can I Make with Ground Beef and Broccoli?
When I think of ground beef and broccoli, I immediately think of beef and broccoli stir fry! The flavors obviously work well together and I love how fast stir fries are. Rice bowl recipes are some of my favorite as it includes everything you need for a meal in one bowl. (Tips for serving this meal to kids below!)
I’m always looking for new healthy rice bowl ideas, because it’s such an easy way to get dinner on the table quickly and it has everything you need for a meal!
How To Make Ground Beef and Broccoli Rice Bowl Recipe
This healthy ground beef and broccoli recipe comes together in just 20 minutes! Check the recipe notes section for some other shortcut ideas.
- Cook rice. I always suggest cooking rice ahead of time or relying on shortcuts like microwavable rice (found in the freezer and or shelf-stable pouches).
- Prep ingredients. I like too start all of my weeknight dinner club recipes with this quick step, so that once you start cooking, things move quickly. This is especially important for stir fries as they cook so quickly!
- Brown ground beef. Break up the beef with the back of a spoon.
- Add broccoli and soy sauce. Cook for a few minutes, then cover and cook until the broccoli is tender-crisp.
Topping Ideas for Ground Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry:
As written, the ground beef rice and broccoli is topped with sliced green onions and sesame seeds, but I have a few other ideas for you if you want to add some additional toppings to this ground beef and broccoli recipe. Totally optional, but nice if you want to add a little more crunch and flavor:
- finely diced red bell pepper
- sliced green onions
- chopped kimchee
- sesame seeds
- sriracha or garlic chile sauce
How to Serve Rice Bowl Meals to Kids:
It’s easy to serve up a kids rice bowl meal to your entire family. If your kids don’t like food mixed together (totally normal!), simply serve the rice and the ground beef and broccoli on the side, or in a different section.
More Ground Beef Weeknight Dinner Recipes:
If you like ground beef and broccoli recipes like this one, you might also like some of these other ground beef recipes:
- Easy Mexican Ground Beef Casserole – Super satisfying, this one pan meal comes together in just 30 minutes.
- Lasagna Soup – Made with my secret soup ingredient – it’s fully of flavor and perfect for chilly nights.
- Mexican Stuffed Sweet Potatoes – All the taco flavors you love, stuffed into sweet potatoes.
- Mini BBQ Meatloaf Dinner – Just 10 minutes to prep, these mini meatloaves are a big hit with my weeknight dinner club members.
- Easy Homemade Chili – Another soup recipe, another use of my secret soup ingredient to get maximum flavor in minimum cooking time.
- Ground Pork Rice Bowl Recipe – Not ground beef, but oh-so-good! Ground pork rice bowls are topped with an easy peanut sauce.
This HEALTHY ground beef and broccoli recipe is ready in just 20 minutes! Rice bowl recipes are perfect for weeknight dinners.
- 1 1/2 cups rice (6 servings)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground beef (85% lean)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 3 green onions
- 16 oz. broccoli florets
- soy sauce, sriracha/garlic chile sauce, sesame seeds for serving
- Prepare rice as directed on package and set aside.
- Prepare ingredients:
Grate or mince ginger.
Mix together ginger, garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, brown sugar, and sesame oil in a small bowl.
Thinly slice green onions.
Trim broccoli so they are roughly the same size. You want small pieces.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add ground beef to pan and cook for 3 minutes, breaking up with a spatula or the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add broccoli and soy sauce mixture and mix together. Cook for 2 minutes, cover, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Divide rice and beef and broccoli mixture between bowls. Top with green onions, sesame seeds, and if desired, extra soy and sriracha or chile garlic sauce.
- Get your kids involved! They can: stir together soy sauce mixture, help break apart broccoli florets, top their bowls with sesame seeds and green onions.
- Ginger shortcut: buy frozen cubes or swap dried ginger (1 tsp.)
- Rice shortcut: buy prepared or microwavable rice.
- Broccoli shortcut: buy cut and trimmed florets.
Keywords: rice bowl, ground beef rice bowl