Are you looking for a quick weeknight meal that the whole family will love? (Possibly even the veggies!) And this ground beef and broccoli recipe is a great way to check both of those boxes. This easy beef and broccoli stir fry comes together in just 20 minutes by utilizing some quick kitchen shortcuts to help you out at the 5pm crazy hour. And if meal prep is your style, it’s a great one that reheats really well.
While using ground beef is a prep and cooking shortcut, if you’re looking for a steak stir fry, try my pepper steak stir fry that’s made with flank steak, it’s DELISH! If you also appreciate the ease of ground meats, try my ground pork stir fry, ground turkey stir fry, or pork udon noodle stir fry next time.
Estimated reading time: 9 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About Easy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Beef and Broccoli Bowl Ingredients
- How to Make Ground Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storage Instructions
- How to Serve Ground Beef with Broccoli to the Whole Family
- More Easy Stir Fry Recipes
- It’s 5pm. Are you still wondering what’s for dinner?
- Helpful Tools to Make Ground Beef and Broccoli
What You’ll Love About Easy Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Delicious Asian stir fry flavors
- Just 10 minutes prep time
- Just 20 minutes total time
- Made with simple ingredients
- Family-friendly meal
Beef and Broccoli Bowl Ingredients
This easy ground beef broccoli recipe comes together with basic ingredients (you’ll definitely have them if you make stir fries at home):
- Vegetable oil – I like to use avocado oil, but any vegetable oil with a high smoke point will work.
- Ground beef – Use a lean ground beef with a little fat in it for best flavor. You can use your favorite type.
- Ginger – Use fresh ginger for best flavor, or the frozen cubes for an easy shortcut. You can also use ground ginger – use a little less than 1/4 teaspoon.
- Garlic – Use fresh garlic for best flavor, or the frozen cubes for an easy shortcut. (I think the frozen cubes are FAR superior to the jarred garlic.)
- Soy sauce – Use a high quality soy sauce. You can use low sodium soy sauce if desired.
- Hoisin sauce – Hoisin sauce can be found in most grocery stores and will typically be in the Asian section.
- Rice wine vinegar – This is a kitchen staple, but if you don’t have it, you could use red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Honey– You can also use brown sugar.
- Sesame oil – Use a high quality sesame oil for best flavor.
- Chili garlic sauce – This doesn’t add much spice (making this kid-friendly spice level), so adjust according to your preferences. You could also use some red pepper flakes.
- Broccoli – You can use a head of broccoli or buy the florets. If you do buy a bag of florets, you will still need to trim them to be similar in size.
- Sea salt
- Rice – I prefer serving the stir fry over white rice or jasmine rice, but you can use whatever type of rice is your favorite. Brown rice would add some nutty flavor.
- Garnish – Sesame seeds, sriracha or garlic chile sauce, green onions
How to Make Ground Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
This healthy ground beef and broccoli recipe comes together in just 20 minutes! Check the recipe notes section for some other shortcut ideas.
- Cook rice. I recently bought a rice cooker (that’s how often we have stir fry and meals with rice!) and it’s been so easy to make rice. You can also cook rice ahead of time or relying on shortcuts like microwavable rice (found in the freezer and or shelf-stable pouches).
- Prep ingredients. I like too start all of my weeknight dinner club recipes with this quick step, so that once you start cooking, things move quickly. You’ll want to mince ginger and garlic, mix together stir fry sauce, slice green onions, and trim broccoli florets.
- Mix stir fry sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together sauce ingredients: ginger, garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, rice vinegar, honey, sesame oil, and chili garlic sauce until smooth.
- Brown ground beef. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add ground beef. Break up the beef with the back of a spoon. Drain if necessary/desired.
- Stir fry broccoli. Add broccoli and soy sauce mixture to skillet. Cook for a few minutes, then cover and cook until the broccoli is tender-crisp.
- Assemble stir fry beef and broccoli bowls. Dish up beef and broccoli over rice and add toppings if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you serve beef and broccoli stir fry with noodles?
Yes, you could absolutely serve this beef and broccoli over noodles instead of rice. Similar to the Thai beef noodle stir fry, you can use a spaghetti noodle, or you could also serve it over ramen noodles, udon noodles, or really any type of noodles.
What is beef and broccoli sauce made of?
This stir fry sauce is made out of basic and very common stir fry ingredients:
- Garlic and ginger
- Soy sauce
- Hoisin sauce
- Brown sugar
- Sesame oil
What can I make with ground beef and broccoli?
When I think of ground beef and broccoli, I immediately think of beef and broccoli stir fry! The flavors obviously work well together and I love how fast stir fries are. Rice bowl recipes are some of my favorite as it includes everything you need for a meal in one bowl. (Tips for serving this meal to kids below!)
I’m always looking for new healthy rice bowl ideas, because it’s such an easy way to get dinner on the table quickly and it has everything you need for a meal!
Store stir fry leftovers in fridge for 3-4 days.
How to reheat
Reheat in the microwave or a hot skillet until heated throughout.
Can you freeze beef and broccoli with ground beef?
Yes, you can also freeze the ground beef and broccoli. Store it in an airtight container for 2-3 months in the freezer.
How to Serve Ground Beef with Broccoli to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in. 😉
It’s easy to serve up a kids rice bowl meal to your entire family. If your kids don’t like food mixed together (totally normal!), simply serve the rice and the ground beef and broccoli on the side, or in a different section of the plate.
You can also serve the meal family style (I recommend starting this about 3-4) and let them decide what to put on their plate.
And serve a few items you know they will eat on the side – it can be anything and doesn’t need to “go” with the meal.
More Easy Stir Fry Recipes
If you like this beef and broccoli stir fry recipe, you might also like some of these other easy stir fry recipes:
It’s 5pm. Are you still wondering what’s for dinner?
Menu Plans by My Everyday Table can help you out.
The plan addresses three major issues when it comes to weeknight dinners: having a plan, time, and one family meal.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and feel calm when 5pm hits because your dinner is already planned.
Helpful Tools to Make Ground Beef and Broccoli
- Rice Maker – I went back and forth on whether this appliance was necessary at our house, and I have to say that now that we have it, I can’t imagine life without it! If you make a lot of rice, I highly recommend. I did a lot of research to find one with good reviews, basic functions, and not a huge price tag.
- 12″ Nonstick Frying Pan – My favorite pan! You can do anything in this and it’s large size makes it great for everything from eggs for a crowd to stir fries like this one.
This HEALTHY ground beef and broccoli stir fry recipe is ready in just 20 minutes and made with basic ingredients and plenty of shortcuts!
- 2 tsp. grated ginger
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp. chili garlic sauce
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. ground beef (85% lean)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 16 oz. broccoli florets
- rice, green onions, soy sauce, sriracha/garlic chili sauce, sesame seeds for serving
- Prepare rice.
- Prepare ingredients:
Grate or mince ginger.
Mix together ginger, garlic, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vinegar, honey, and sesame oil in a small bowl.
Thinly slice green onions.
Trim broccoli so they are roughly the same size. You want small pieces.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Add ground beef to pan and cook for 3 minutes, breaking up with a spatula or the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add broccoli and soy sauce mixture and mix together. Cook for 2 minutes, cover, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Divide rice and beef and broccoli mixture between bowls. Top with green onions, sesame seeds, and if desired, extra soy and sriracha or chili garlic sauce.
- Nutrition facts do not include rice or toppings.
- Get your kids involved! They can: stir together soy sauce mixture, help break apart broccoli florets, top their bowls with sesame seeds and green onions.
- Ginger shortcut: buy frozen cubes or swap dried ginger (1 tsp.)
- Rice shortcut: buy prepared or microwavable rice.
- Broccoli shortcut: buy cut and trimmed florets.
Keywords: ground beef and broccoli recipe, beef and broccoli stir fry,
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!
Photo Credit: All photos in this post were take by Loren at Sweet Rustic Bakes