Summer quinoa salad combines the best of summer produce in an easy, nutritious, and produce-filled salad!
Summer livin’ is great, don’t you think?
It probably helps that I’m on maternity leave, so summer feels extraaaaaa nice and relaxed.
I don’t like the heat, but I love the trips to the beach. I love the afternoon dips in the pool. And I really love the bright fresh flavors that are everywhere. When I think of summer produce I think: zucchini, tomatoes, corn. Perhaps it is my midwest upbringing, but these are summer STAPLES and meals should be created around them.
And just how this summer quinoa salad came about.
Also, I’ve figured out my hangup with fresh corn on the cob. You’ll notice that I often use frozen corn because it’s easier to deal with. Then I used fresh corn for a few recipes and realized it’s not THAT hard to shuck and cut kernels off the cob. But I shucked a lot of corn as a kid. It was the job that my brother and I had to do every day that corn was on the menu, which was every day that corn was in season, which ended up being a lot – and I guess I’m still scarred from it! Oh, and I also very distinctly remember spending a day shucking corn so that we could put it up for the winter. That really pushed me over to team frozen.
So as I always mention, use whatever makes sense for you! Fresh or frozen, I think it all tastes good!
But enough about my corn issues. This summer quinoa salad features my favorite summer staples, all tossed together with a bright (and easy!) pesto dressing and finished with some pine nuts and tangy goat cheese. Swoon!
CLICK HERE to pin summer quinoa salad for later.
It’s also excellent topped with some grilled chicken if you want to turn it into a full meal.
Pack it up for the beach, or music in the park, but it tastes just as good in your hot apartment. 😉
I love hearing from you guys when you make recipes you’ve found here so let me know what you think, or tag me on social media (@myeverydaytable or #myeverydaytable) so I can see your creations!Print
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 zucchini
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 2 cups corn kernels (about 2 ears of corn)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons prepared pesto
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1/2-1 lemon)
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 6 oz goat cheese
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- salt & pepper
- Prepare quinoa as directed. (I like using broth, but water is fine.) Set aside in large mixing bowl.
- Prep veggies: slice zucchini in half moon shapes, mince garlic, slice tomatoes in half, cut corn off kernel if using fresh corn. If using frozen, remove from freezer.
- Heat olive oil in large sauté pan. When hot, add zucchini, garlic, tomatoes, and corn to pan.
- Cook, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes, or until vegetables have softened. Season with salt and pepper and add to the bowl with quinoa.
- In a small bowl, whisk together pesto, lemon juice, and water. Drizzle over quinoa and vegetables, tossing to distribute.
- Crumble goat cheese and sprinkle with pine nuts before serving.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Calories: 432
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 812 mg
- Fat: 23 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 43 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 16 g
- Cholesterol: 13 mg