This grilled tilapia in foil recipe couldn’t be easier! Simply layer a white fish in the fish foil packet, season with olive oil, salt and pepper, top with veggies and GRILL! Lots of bright summer flavors and the perfect meal to eat outside.
Cooking tilapia on the grill doesn’t have to be hard or overwhelming! Last summer I vowed to learn how to grill. Partly out of necessity (my husband isn’t home when I shoot recipes!) and partly because I wanted to sneak away to the back yard with a glass of rosé and leave the chaos behind me.
Once I did it a few times? I felt totally comfortable behind the grill. Foil packet recipes for grill like this are a great way to cook fish outside! (Many of you complained about how cooking fish makes your house smell…this solves that problem!)
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Table of Contents
- Can You Grill Tilapia?
- How to Grill Tilapia Fish Foil Packets
- How Long to Cook Tilapia on Grill?
- How to Store Leftover Grilled Tilapia in Foil
- Substitutes for Grilled Fish Foil Packets
- Get Your Kids Involved
- More Fish & Seafood Recipes
- Helpful Tools for Foil Packet Dinners on the Grill
- PIN THIS GRILLED TILAPIA RECIPE FOR LATER!
Can You Grill Tilapia?
Yes, you can grill tilapia! And I’ll show you how to grill tilapia without it falling apart. There are a few ways to make grilled tilapia:
- Use a grill basket. This is especially helpful when grilling a flaky fish.
- Make a foil platter. You can do this easily by shaping some foil into a platter shape .
- Make grilled tilapia in foil. This is exactly what we’re doing in this grilled tilapia in foil recipe!
How to Grill Tilapia Fish Foil Packets
Let’s get to these fish foil packets! The whole meal comes together in just 25 minutes, so it’s perfect for an easy weeknight dinner.
- Preheat the grill.
- Make your foil packets for the fish.
- Season fish. We’re using tilapia here, but you can also use another white fish like cod. (More white fish listed below!)
- Add veggies to fish foil packets. Top fish with pepper, onion, corn, and tomatoes. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill! Fold the sides of the foil together to create a tent and roll up the seams so that there are no gaps. Place the fish foil packets directly over heat and cook for 10 minutes, or until the fish is opaque and flakes easily. Set fish aside.
- Grill your bread if using it as a side dish.
How Long to Cook Tilapia on Grill?
This easy grilled tilapia will take about 10 minutes to cook over a medium-high heat grill over direct heat (right over the flame).
How to Store Leftover Grilled Tilapia in Foil
If you have any leftover grilled tilapia in foil, simply store it in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Re-heat until just heated throughout.
Substitutes for Grilled Fish Foil Packets
Many grilled tilapia recipes can be made with any flaky white fish like cod, bass, grouper, catfish, snapper, or halibut.
You can also swap out some of the vegetables depending on what you have. I love the bright and summery-fresh veggies used in this grilled tilapia in foil, but feel free to use other soft vegetables.
Get Your Kids Involved
There are so many ways to get your kids involved in cooking this grilled tilapia in foil:
- Season the fish with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Help chop veggies with a kid knife. (The pepper is a good one for younger kids.)
- Add veggies to fish foil packets. This doesn’t need to be done perfectly, so it’s the perfect job for kids! Season veggies with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
More Fish & Seafood Recipes
If you like this grilled fish in foil with vegetables, you should try some of my other easy seafood recipes:
- Apricot Glaze for Salmon – I love the sweet and tart flavor this glaze adds to salmon.
- Spicy Garlic Shrimp – The easiest shrimp scampi with a bit of spice!
- Baked Panko Salmon – One of the most popular fish recipes in the weeknight dinner club!
- Mediterranean Fish Packets – Similar to this grilled tilapia in foil, these fish packets feature a flavorful mix of Mediterranean flavors. You could also swap the parchment paper for foil and grill it!
- Grilled Lake Trout – This recipe is incredibly simple and the best way to grill trout. Two different flavor options!
Grilled tilapia in foil makes an EASY 25-min weeknight dinner! These HEALTHY fish foil packets are delicious and no clean up required!
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Cut 4 large squares of aluminum foil, place on a baking sheet and fold up edges to form pouch.
- Place fish on the bottom of foil. Drizzle with olive oil (about 1 teaspoon per fillet) and sprinkle with garlic powder and salt.
- Divide corn, peppers, onion, and grape tomatoes over the top of the fish. Drizzle with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Fold sides of aluminum foil together, to create a tent and roll edges together, ensuring there are no gaps as you fold the sides together.
- Place foil packets directly over heat and cook for 10 minutes, or until the fish is opaque and flakes easily. Set fish aside.
- Meanwhile, brush bread with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt. Grill bread for about 2-4 minutes per side, or until lightly charred.
- Get your kids involved! They can: help season fish and top with veggies, brush the bread with olive oil.
- Nutrition facts do not include bread.
Keywords: fish foil packets, grilled fish packets