Cooking trout on the grill? Simply season and grill – dinner is ready in 10 minutes! I’ll show you how to cook trout on the grill and two different grilled lake trout recipes – both are super simple.
You won’t believe how easy this grilled lake trout recipe is. I’m sharing two different seasoning options and two different grilling methods for so that your grilled lake trout doesn’t stick to the grill. It’s the best way to grill lake trout!
This cooking trout on the grill recipe was originally published in June of 2011 and updated in July of 2020 to include helpful tips and new pictures.
How To Cook Trout On The Grill:
First, you’ll need to decide which grilled lake trout marinade you’re going to use. My favorites are either old bay or minced garlic. I love the classic flavor of old bay, but you also can’t beat a little fresh garlic.
Next, season the lake trout with little pats of butter and the old bay or garlic.
All that’s left is to grill! Grill the lake trout for 3-5 minutes per side. (It really depends on how thick your piece of fish is.)
How Long to Grill Lake Trout:
As I mentioned above, cooking trout on grill will just take a few minutes per side to cook through. If it’s a thin piece, it will take 3-5 minutes per side.
Cook fish to an internal temperature of 145 degrees F, or until it flakes easily and is opaque in color.
How to Prevent Lake Trout from Sticking to the Grill:
This lake trout recipe is so simple, but you do need to be careful that your fish doesn’t stick to the grill. I have two methods that can prevent the lake trout from sticking to the grill.
Fish Grill Basket – Lake trout is pretty fragile, so I highly suggest using a fish grilling basket.
Tin Foil – Otherwise you can use a piece of foil, just make sure to put some olive oil or butter on the skin side so that you can easily flip the fish over.
What Does Lake Trout Taste Like?
Cooking fresh trout on the grill is a great way to simply season this delicate fish! Lake trout is not super-fishy, but more of a mild flavor and delicate white fish that takes on whatever you season it with.
What is a Lake Trout Sandwich?
A lake trout sandwich is simply a fish sandwich made with lake trout!
If you want to turn this grilled trout into a sandwich, layer a slather of mayonnaise or tartar sauce on a hoagie or ciabatta bun and top with shredded lettuce and a slice of tomato.
More Easy Fish Recipes:
If you like easy grilled lake trout recipes like this one, you might also like some of these other seafood and fish recipes:
- Grilled Tilapia Foil Packets – These fish foil packets are an easy way to cook the fish and veggies in one flavorful pouch!
- Asian Shrimp Noodles – This easy stir-fry is bursting with flavor.
- Garlic Shrimp with Orzo – Shrimp + pasta + tons of garlicky butter.
- Baked Panko Salmon – One of the most popular salmon recipes in the weeknight dinner club and ready in 30 minutes.
- Mediterranean Fish Parcels – This nutritious meal takes just 20 minutes to make.
Helpful Tools for Grilled Lake Trout Recipes:
- Fish Grill Basket – As I mentioned above, using a grill basket is a great way to ensure that when you’re cooking lake trout on grill, it doesn’t stick!
- Instant Read Meat Thermometer – Less than $20 and the BEST way to tell when your meat or grilled lake trout recipes are cooked perfectly.
This grilled lake trout recipe is the EASIEST way to cook lake trout in less than 15 min. Cooking trout on the grill is as easy as seasoning + grilling!
- 4 6-oz. lake trout fillets
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. old bay seasoning OR 4 cloves minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place pats of butter on lake trout, flesh side up.
- Add filets to a fish grill pan or aluminum foil.
- Cook for about 3-5 minutes per side, until fish flakes easily. Thinner pieces will only take 3 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Keywords: lake trout, grilled lake trout, how to cook trout on the grill