This grilled asparagus in foil is a fantastic side dish to just about any meal that is made with just a few ingredients, and takes less than 10 minutes to make! Once you learn how to grill asparagus in foil, you’ll find yourself making it over and over again. While I’ve kept the seasonings quite simple, grilling asparagus in foil is a blank slate for whatever type of dish you’re making, so add whatever seasonings sound good – lemon pepper, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, or a sprinkle of parmesan cheese are faves over here.
If you love asparagus recipes, be sure to try my asparagus tartine, spring chicken saute, or grilled salmon in foil (includes asparagus!) next time.
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About Asparagus Grilled in Foil
- How to Cook Asparagus on the Grill
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storage Instructions
- How to Serve Asparagus to the Whole Family
- What to Serve with Grilled Asparagus
- More Easy Side Dish Recipes
What You’ll Love About Asparagus Grilled in Foil
- Versatile side dish that goes with any main
- Delicious and let’s the asparagus shine
- Made with just 3 ingredients
- Just 6+ minutes cook time
You’ll need just a few ingredients to make asparagus on the grill:
- Asparagus – Look for fresh asparagus that doesn’t look dried out or
- Olive oil – Use a high quality oil for best flavor.
- Salt – I use sea salt to season and flaky salt to finish.
How to Cook Asparagus on the Grill
Cooking asparagus on the grill is incredibly easy, let me show you:
- Trim asparagus. Snap off the woody end of asparagus stalks. You can also use a sharp knife to cut the end off.
- Prep. Lay out a large piece of foil and lay asparagus in it. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Fold up edges of foil packets and crimp edges closed.
- Grill. Place asparagus foil packet directly on grill grates over direct medium-high heat until tender.
TIP: Open up foil pack as soon as you take it off the grill, or it will keep cooking and will get mushy.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long to grill asparagus in foil?
The exact grill time will depend on the size of asparagus as well as how hot your grill is. I recommend checking at about 6 minutes to test them, usually 6-8 minutes is just right for a tender-crisp asparagus spear.
Why is my asparagus soggy?
If your asparagus is soggy, it’s been overcooked! Be sure to check it at 6 minutes so that you don’t overcook it.
Should you peel asparagus before cooking?
You don’t need to peel the asparagus before cooking, but you should trim off the woody ends before cooking.
You can also peel raw asparagus and eat it in salads or put it on a sandwich like this asparagus tartine.
Store leftover asparagus in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
How to reheat
Reheat asparagus in a hot skillet or the microwave until heated through.
Can you freeze grilled asparagus?
You can freeze cooked asparagus, but it alters the texture a bit, so it depends on your preferences. I prefer to eat it all instead of freezing. 🙂
How to Serve Asparagus to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in. 😉
If asparagus is a new food, serve one spear to your kids and serve it alongside a dip or dressing if you want to add a little extra enticement without pressure.
All of my articles on feeding kids can be found here and if you want a FULL list of all of the videos I have with hacks, tips, scripts, and ideas for feeding kids, check out my instagram or tiktok page.
What to Serve with Grilled Asparagus
This asparagus needs a main dish and dinner is served! Try one of these easy dinners:
More Easy Side Dish Recipes
If you like this recipe for grilled asparagus in foil, you might also like some of these other easy vegetable side dish:
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning?
Hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm because your dinner is already planned.
Grilled Asparagus in Foil
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 8 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings (small) 1x
- Category: Side
- Method: Grill
Learn how to grill asparagus in foil so that you don’t lose any spears through the grate! Simple ingredients and ready in 10 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium-high direct heat.
- Trim woody end of asparagus stalk by snapping or cutting it off. Add asparagus to a large piece of aluminum foil.
- Drizzle asparagus with olive oil and season with sea salt. Roll up foil packet by rolling over long edges together and then folding each end to crimp shut.
- Grill foil packets for 5-8 minutes, until tender, but not stringy and mushy. Immediately open up foil packet or the asparagus will continue to cook and could potentially overcook.
Keywords: grilled asparagus in foil, how to grill asparagus in foil, grilling asparagus in foil
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!
Did you like this recipe? Please leave a review and let me know what you thought! I appreciate it so much.