Trust me when I say, this is the BEST smoked salmon dip recipe! One bite and I’m sure you’ll understand. Creamy and bright cream cheese is whipped together (you should also try my whipped lemon feta dip!) and then combined with fresh dill, red onion, and plenty of smoked salmon for a dip that tastes bright and flavorful. Serve the salmon cream cheese dip with a variety of crackers and you’ve got the perfect make-ahead party appetizer that’s fancy enough for everything from brunches to baby showers and easy enough for…well…weeknight spring picnics outside.
It’s no secret that we love salmon (hi panko salmon, air fryer salmon, and salmon stir fry to name a few) at our house, but we also like, no, LOVE, smoked salmon. If you find yourself with some extra salmon after you make this salmon dip with cream cheese, serve up a bagels and lox spread or make my smoked salmon sandwich. You can find smoked salmon at any grocery store, and if you shop at TJ, check out my Trader Joe’s smoked salmon review.
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
- What You'll Love About Salmon Cream Cheese Dip
- Healthy Salmon Dip Ingredients
- How to Make Smoked Salmon Dip
What You’ll Love About Salmon Cream Cheese Dip
- Incredibly delicious
- Great to make ahead for parties
- Just 10 minutes total time
- Made with just 5 ingredients
Healthy Salmon Dip Ingredients
You’ll need just 5 basic ingredients to make this smoked salmon dip:
- Cream cheese – Use full fat for best flavor. Let the cream cheese soften at room temperature so that it’s easier to mix. Some salmon dips are made with sour cream and mayonnaise, but I prefer the thick consistency of whipped cream cheese.
- Lemon – Use fresh lemon for best flavor and because we’re using both fresh lemon juice AND the zest.
- Onion – I prefer red onion for this dip. If you find the flavor strong, soak the minced onion in cold water for 5-10 minutes to lessen the strength. Chop them up as small as you can so that you don’t get huge chunks. You could also use green onion or fresh chives.
- Dill – Use fresh dill for the brightest, freshest flavor.
- Smoked salmon – You can use any type of smoked salmon (otherwise known as lox). I prefer to use cold smoked lox vs. hot smoked lox, but you could use hot smoked as well, just be really gentle when you fold it in as it will flake more than cold smoked.
How to Make Smoked Salmon Dip
This is an overview on how to make smoked salmon cream cheese dip, the detailed instructions can be found below in the recipe card.
What is salmon dip made of?
The ingredients will vary based on recipe, but this recipe is made with cream cheese, lemon, red onion, and dill – all flavors that pair well with lox (smoked salmon)!
What should I do with leftover salmon dip?
You have so many options! Spread it onto bagels, layer it on sourdough toast and top with sprouts, fold it into scrambled eggs, or use it as a filling for an omelet.
Store dip in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
Can I freeze smoked salmon dip?
I would not recommend freezing the dip as the cream cheese will change texture during the freezing and thawing process.
What to Serve with Smoked Salmon Dips
You’ve got options! Crackers are a must, but you can also serve the dip with veggies and/or crostini as well.
- Crackers – Wondering what crackers go with salmon dip? Just about any! I like using a classic water cracker like Carr’s or these wafer crackers, but you can really use any type of cracker – bagel chips, Ritz crackers, everything bagel seasoned crackers, etc.
- Veggies – Try raw veggies like carrot sticks, cucumber slices, celery stalks, radishes, or snap peas.
- Crostini – Serve with crispy crostini, or toasted rye bread pieces.
More Easy Appetizer Recipes
If you like this recipe for smoked salmon dip, you might also like some of these other easy appetizers:
- Baked Brie with Fig Jam
- Steamed Old Bay Shrimp
- Copycat Chipotle Corn Salsa
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
- Whipped Lemon Feta Dip
Let me Meal Plan for you!
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning? It’s time to hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm instead of stressed. Your dinner is planned and your grocery list is made and everything is conveniently delivered to an app so you can print it out, access from your phone, or computer.
This is the BEST smoked salmon dip recipe with cream cheese! Mix up this spread that’s nice enough for entertaining with just 5 ingredients.
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. minced red onion
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- 6 oz. cured smoked salmon (lox)
- crackers, bread, and/or veggies for serving
- Using a hand mixer, whip cream cheese and lemon juice together until smooth.
- Cut up lox into small pieces.
- Add onion and dill to lemon cream cheese and stir to combine.
- Fold smoked salmon into cream cheese mixture and chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve with crackers or bread.
- Makes 2 cups
- Serving size (estimate): 1/4 cup
Keywords: smoked salmon dip, smoked salmon dip recipe, salmon cream cheese dip
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!