You’ll want to bring this Cherry Chicken Pasta Salad to all of your get-togethers, it’s a crowd-pleaser! Cherry Chicken Pasta Salad is a delicious mix of chewy pasta, tender chicken (try sous vide shredded chicken), dried cherries, and a poppyseed dressing. It’s a perfect side dish, easy lunch, or summer dinner.
I am a self-proclaimed pasta salad enthusiast and give 100% of the credit to my mom! I grew up eating pasta salads all summer long, and I happen to think my mom is the QUEEN of pasta salads. Let me give you three reasons that pasta salads are so great:
- You can eat them cold (perfect for steamy nights!)
- You can make them ahead (perfect for busy nights!)
- They combine everything you need for a meal (perfect for dinner in general!)
This Cherry Chicken Pasta Salad fits all of the above pasta salad requirements! It’s a copycat from Lunds & Byerlys (a Twin Cities grocery store chain) and it’s super delicious. When I can make it myself I do, and when I can’t, I pick some up from the store!
The Cherry Chicken Pasta Salad is sweet and creamy, filling with both pasta and chicken, crunchy from the fresh celery, and tart from the dried cherries. The flavors just work.
How do we make Cherry Chicken Pasta Salad?
It’s so simple. Cook the pasta and chicken (it was actually part of a cook once, eat twice meal from my meal plan or try sous vide shredded chicken), mix up the poppyseed dressing, and toss everything together!
Be sure to let me know if you try out this Cherry Chicken Pasta Salad! Snap a pic, share it on instagram, and tag me so I can check out your creation! (@myeverydaytable or #myeverydaytable)Print
You’ll want to bring this Cherry Chicken Pasta Salad to all of your get-togethers, it’s a crowd-pleaser! Cherry Chicken Pasta Salad is a delicious mix of pasta, chicken, dried cherries, and a poppyseed dressing. It’s a perfect side dish, easy lunch, or summer dinner.
- 16 oz. gemelli pasta (or fusilli)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery (about 6 stalks)
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion (about 1/2 onion)
- 2 cups chopped leftover chicken (about 4 thighs)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup poppyseed dressing
- 8 oz. dried cherries (about 1 1/2 cups)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 oz. salad greens
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Prepare ingredients:
Chop onions. (Try to get them small, without stressing.)
Chop chicken into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Mix together mayonnaise and poppyseed dressing.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and toss together.
- Refrigerate if you can for at least an hour. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over salad greens.
- Briannas poppyseed dressing is my favorite!
- Get your kids involved! They can: stir together salad dressing, mix all ingredients in a large bowl, dump ingredients into the bowl.
- It’s ideal to make this recipe ahead of time.
- There will be plenty of leftovers, serve them over greens for an easy lunch.
Keywords: pasta salad, pasta, chicken, chicken pasta salad
Originally published May 2010.