And if you aren’t coming from Self, be sure to check out the other Epic Picnic Dishes!
I’m the person who always brings a salad to get-togethers. Whether they’re picnics or backyard grilling parties, you can always count on me to bring a salad. Annoying? Maybe, but amidst the dips and desserts, salads always seem like the perfect addition to any table.
A few weeks ago, I made no less than eight batches of quinoa salads. Ok, kind of an exaggeration, but after the second day of bringing bowls of quinoa salad to work, people started asking what was going on.
I asked for feedback between a black bean & quinoa salad and this one and instead of getting any opinions, all I got was requests for the recipes, $5 from someone who had forgotten their lunch that day and a major boost to my quinoa salad ego. Naturally, I’m thinking about setting up a little quinoa salad shop at work.
All this is to say that I’ll probably share the black bean version sometime in the near future!
But we’re talking about the roasted asparagus & red pepper quinoa salad today. I love this salad! It’s vegan (but you don’t have to tell), it’s gluten-free (but no one has to know) and it’s got 12 grams of protein and 10 grams of fiber per serving, thanks to the beans + quinoa! (You can share this fact.)
It’s healthy, but so delicious and flavorful. It’s colorful and light; but the hefty servings are unquestionably satisfying. Serve it on top of some greens if you like or top with some grilled chicken or tempeh for an extra boost of protein.
Lunch. Is. Served.Print
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1/2 cup olive oil plus 1 Tbsp
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 shallot
- salt & pepper
- 1 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 2–15 oz cans garbanzo beans
- 1 cup sliced green onion
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- Roast asparagus: preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove tough bottoms of asparagus and cut into 1 inch pieces. (You should have about 2 cups.)
- Drizzle with 1 Tbsp of olive oil and cook for about 10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Prepare quinoa: Rinse quinoa in fine mesh strainer.
- Add quinoa and 2 cups water to small pan.
- Stir, season with salt and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Prepare vinaigrette: while quinoa is cooking, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, dijon, mustard, shallot and salt & pepper.
- Remove quinoa from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and toss with vinaigrette.
- Drain and rinse garbanzo beans.
- When quinoa is cool, toss with remaining ingredients. Chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Calories: 409
- Sugar: 4
- Fat: 20 grams
- Carbohydrates: 46 grams
- Fiber: 10
- Protein: 12